Goal: $300, Received: $275.00 (92%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Clayton Boyer plans a good choice for beginner? (By: Jim DuBois)

Jim,
    Thanks for the information - it is very helpful.
    Can you go into a bit more detail on how you cut the teeth using a drill press. I understand that with the drill press you can get a properly round disc and, with an indexing device, drill out the gullets. Do you then finish the teeth with a band saw, for example?
    Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

John, thanks for the warning about the clearance between pallet and escape wheel - I'll be on the lookout.
    Cheers!

Default Re: Clayton Boyer plans a good choice for beginner? (By: Epictetus)

I built a simplified version of this device using mostly plywood and metals available from some hardware stores. We received copyright approval to publish this in 1974 and the publication has ceased to exist today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutting gears on a drill press 4.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	278126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutting gears on a drill press 3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	278125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutting gears on a drill press 2.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	511.5 KB 
ID:	278124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutting gears on a drill press 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	278123  

Here is another low tech solution https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2DjQ1dDUyk to making round gears that run pretty well. Worth consideration instead of scroll saw cutting and sanding all the teeth....

Registered user.

When I made the pallet set, I did the final locking surfaces machining using a pin router. I built a jig which allowed the pallet set to rotate about it's arbor, and set it to clean the locking surfaces absolutely circular to the arbor. I used the scroll saw to get close to the lines on the locking surface so that the final router bit cut removed very little wood, less than a 1/16th.

Since the simplicity appears close to the tempo with regard to escape and pallet geometry, I assume they would suffer the same issue.

The tempo's pinion design was useable on a pin router with fixturing using an 1/8th spiral bit with half inch cut depth, I purchased them from klingspor. If he designs smaller valley teeth, the 1/8th won't work.

John

Default Re: Clayton Boyer plans a good choice for beginner? (By: john e)

I have built the tucan design and have nearly finished the simplicity. Kind of the wrong way round in a build order but i started the simplicity first and then needed to get the tucan finished for a gift.

All done on a scroll saw and a drill press. I hadn't done any scroll saw work before but it is pretty easy to get started. You will need to try out a lot of blades and find the ones that work best for you. If you have a band saw then i think that would make the gears easier to make and faster but not required.

I would say make the frame first but dont drill the holes for the gear placement until the gears have been done and then depth the frame.

I have seen a number of video's on these clocks running for years without issue. As long as you use good birch plywood for the gear train it will last a very long time.

Just give it a go.

Buzz

Registered user.

Default Re: Clayton Boyer plans a good choice for beginner? (By: buzzby)

Quote Originally Posted by buzzby View Post
    I would say make the frame first but dont drill the holes for the gear placement until the gears have been done and then depth the frame.
    Buzz
    I absolutely agree with that one.

Here's my depthing fixture.

John

Name:	100_8723.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	278938  

Jim,
    Thanks for posting the indexing jig - could you possibly pm me the jpg's?
    John,
    Thanks for the tips on the pallet construction.
    Buzz and John,
    When you talk about "depthing" does that mean determining the optimum distance between the 2 wheels?
    Cheers!

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
    Buzz and John,
    When you talk about "depthing" does that mean determining the optimum distance between the 2 wheels?
    Cheers!
    Yes.

For example, the first pic is spaced too far. Note that the next tip of the wheel is contacting the next tip of the pinion, so it jams.

The second pic, they are too close, and the pinion hits the root of the driving wheel tooth. Again, jamming.

For the tempo, the pallets were too far from the escape, so it ran as a recoil.

John

Name:	DSCN0832.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	279715   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0831.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	279714  

John,
    Thanks for the explanation and pictures!

I made the Simplicity clock and finished it in May 2011. It's been running great ever since then. I plan on making other ones from Clayton also. My next is going to be Solaris. Check out my Simplicity here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hni3...3klrDS&index=1 I did it all on the scrollsaw, but I have a band saw now, and it is easier to cut the teeth on that.

I thought it was a lot of fun making it. How did your Simplicity turn out? Did you finish it?