Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 714 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default At slowest setting, Ansonia mantle clock still runs too fast.

Hi guys!
    I made a thread about my Ansonia Iron mantle clock in the General section. It runs and chimes great! But ran very fast. I have adjusted the pendulum bob as low as it will go and it still gains 2 minutes per hour. I've had clocks run too slowly because of gummed up works or worn or binding bushings, but never too fast no matter what.
    Any ideas on what the clock might need would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

Default Re: At slowest setting, Ansonia mantle clock still runs too fast. (By: WestminsterTim)

The clock and movement may be seen in an earlier thread. I wonder whether it might be less confusing to keep all comments on this issue in this thread in Clock Repair.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: At slowest setting, Ansonia mantle clock still runs too fast. (By: WestminsterTim)

Here are the requested detailed pics. With the back plate off, I can see that the fine tune adjuster on the front does indeed turn a screw shaft at the top of the movement and a small brass flapper looking thing moves back and forth a tiny bit. Not sure what it's supposed to be doing though. Pardon my ignorance here.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

I suppose if you are reasonably sure the escapement is not skipping teeth, and the pendulum adjustment is as low as it will go (it is on the fine adjuster), the only other thing to consider would be a longer suspension rod, if there is room at the bottom of the case. Make sure the movement is in beat, and has a good pendulum swing as a weak swing will also cause gaining.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Thank you Harold! Before closing it back up, I was able to get a few more turns out of the pendulum dial. I was being careful not to get it too close so that it wouldn't have a chance to vibrate off. I'll see what difference that makes, and otherwise will look into a longer pendulum rod.

PS: the clock has very strong steady beats. It sounds good, so I think the escapement is okay.

What Harold was talking about was a longer suspension rod(the rod with the hook on the bottom that the pendulum hangs from). If there is still some room between the bottom of the pendulum and the bottom of the case, replacing the suspension rod with a longer one will slow it down.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."- Plato (428 - 348 BC)

Registered user.

Default Re: At slowest setting, Ansonia mantle clock still runs too fast. (By: Randy Beckett)

Hi
    I can't see the pictures, most likely too many people at the same time trying
    to see them and photobucket locking up.
    Can you transfer the pictures to the message board ( see little camera on the line above ).

In any case, you only need to extend the pendulum by about 2% longer.
    Since I can't see the pictures right now, all I can say is that if there is a bent hook
    at the bottom of the pendulum rod, see if you can add a little more than
    2% length.
    Tinker Dwight

Thank you so much for the input guys!
    Yes, I figured he meant the shaft that hooks on (at least I had hoped... It's the easiest thing to replace!).
    anyone know where I can look for one in different lengths that would fit the bob? Would most clock repair shops carry them? I believe I have a good 1.5" or more space to play with.
    apologies about the pics. I've been posting with my iPhone and the site won't let me upload the iPhone pics to it.

PS: those last few turns of the dial did get the added time per hour down to one minute. So agreed, just a tiny bit longer suspension rod should do it.
    As old as the clock is, it's very possible it doesn't even have the original or correct rod and/or bob on it.

Registered user.

Places like timesavers have them. The kind you have is called
    a feather type rod. The suspension spring is fixed to the rod.
    The one you have does look to be a replacement.
    Measure the thickness of the suspension spring as too thick
    and it won't go through the chops in the adjuster.
    Tinker Dwight

Awesome, much appreciated! I have found the Timesavers site and will search it in the morning. I have never replaced a suspension rod before. Is this type easy to replace for a novice? It looks like it's just held in the slot by friction, but I don't want to risk screwing something up.
    thanks again for all the great info guys!

Registered user.

There is usually a pin through the top in that adjuster
    lever.
    Most come without a hole. Making the hole can
    be difficult without the proper punch because the metal
    is tempered.
    You'll also, usually have to make the hook at the end.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: At slowest setting, Ansonia mantle clock still runs too fast. (By: Tinker Dwight)

I suspect that the suspension spring was broken, and the same spring was just raised to accommodate. That would account for the faster escape action.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Okay, got it, thanks! How this whole mechanism works is starting to sink in.
    I have studied the pics (hard to see these details by the naked eye on the clock) and I see a brass pin through the top of the "feather". Looks like I can just lift the rod and pull it out.
    Now I'm wondering if this feather is the problem, being too short to allow a wide enough swing (as shutterbug mentioned)
    I'm sorry for all the questions, but what is a good length for the feather to be?
    Also, the hook at the bottom is pretty shallow and doesn't look like it can be rebent any lower as an alternative.
    I'll try again to direct-load the pictures so everyone can see them.
    Everyone's help has been greatly appreciated, thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1 (1).JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	526.5 KB 
ID:	271719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	494.4 KB 
ID:	271720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	353.8 KB 
ID:	271721Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	586.5 KB 
ID:	271722
    Here they are. Had to transfer the pics to my laptop, but they should show now.
    I'm out of town for the weekend so I can't measure it, but the feather looks to be about an inch or so.