Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Self Winding Clock Company Style E movement with Gravity Escapement

I have attached a picture of a Self Winding Clock Company of New York’s Style E movement next to a typical Style F movement. The size difference is very apparent. What is not easily noticeable is the fact that this particular Style E movement has a Gerry gravity escapement. Other Style E movements are like F movements and have Graham dead beat escapements. The operation of the gravity escapement is fascinating to watch. To see it in operation click on the youtube attachment.

https://youtu.be/iIxu7WB9VO4

Alan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWCC Styles E and F .jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	271392

Registered user.

Default Re: Self Winding Clock Company Style E movement with Gravity Escapement (By: Alan)

Love it
    Thanks
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Self Winding Clock Company Style E movement with Gravity Escapement (By: Tinker Dwight)

Excellent videographic and camera technique makes for a full explanation of this unique escapement.

The action of the impulse arms could possibly be fitted with a contact to provide a precise once a second electrical circuit closure that does not interfere with the rate of the pendulum.

This was once proposed by astronomical scientests as an alternative for the then common platinum leaf-mercury blob pendulum contact on the observatory's siderial regulated clock.
    Last edited by eskmill; 08-25-2015 at 01:20 AM.
    H.J. (Les) Lesovsky, Alhambra California

Default Re: Self Winding Clock Company Style E movement with Gravity Escapement (By: eskmill)

What a beautiful piece of work (both the movement and the video)! Thank you for sharing this!

Best regards,

Mark
    Si non caste, tamen caute...

Default Re: Self Winding Clock Company Style E movement with Gravity Escapement (By: Alan)

I owned a 60 beat battery wind movement, Gerry Gravity Escapement, movement only. It came in a fitted olive drab wooden case. The story was it was owned by the Naval Observatory. They sent these movements around the world to time Astronomical events.

Default Re: Self Winding Clock Company Style E movement with Gravity Escapement (By: SteveC1964)

Steve, any chance you would have any photos of the movement? I heard that these movements were made by E Howard for the Self Winding Clock Company and were used by the Naval Observatory to study of the Transit of Venus. Any one else have a photo of these movements? Alan

Default Re: Self Winding Clock Company Style E movement with Gravity Escapement

I found my Gerry images. Lots of them. Can someone advise me a way to simply upload the images? Or better yet, send me an email address and I can send them there.