Goal: $300, Received: $160.00 (53%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Using topic prefixes to filter watch repair threads by watch type

In response to a request for an American Pocket Watch Repair forum, *I have added the Prefix feature to the Watch Repair Forum'.

This feature has two parts.

First, when you create a thread, you can assign a prefix to it to show what kind of watch you are repairing or want to repair. When you click on New Thread, there is a box with a drop down list of topic prefixes as shown below,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreadPickPrefix.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	257192

When you are reading the forum and want to only show a particular type of watch, you can select from the same set of prefixes which ones you want to show.

We have used a set of database queries to guess which prefix should hold each of the threads, but since this is mechanical, there are likely to be quite a few errors. If you see a thread that you think iis mis-classified, please report it.

Many threads have not yet been classified at all. So if you know that some threads contain a particular word or phrase that identifies them with one of the prefixes please report that also with the key word or phrase you would choose to identify those items/.

Finally, if you have additional prefixes of the broad kind in this list, please suggest them for inclusion along with a phrase that could be used to recognize threads needing that prefix.

Note there is only one prefix allowed per thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThreadSelectPrefix.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	257193

------- upgrade note -------
    The prefixes may now be clicked to see all threads with the same prefix. If the list is being filtered by prefix, clicking on the prefix will remove the filter. The list of threads without a prefix still requires you to use the selector drop down shown below the thread list.
    Last edited by Tom McIntyre; 04-04-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Using topic prefixes to filter watch repair threads by watch type (By: Tom McIntyre)

The thread prefixes that display ith the titles were shortened and made italic so they would be less intrusive. Since there were some comments that the alpha prefixes were still a bit confusing, they have been changed to flag icons for the national prefixes for American, Swiss and English pocketwatches and the UN flag for other pocketwatches.

If anyone has suggestions for similar treatment of Mechanical and Electric wristwatches I would appreciate suggestions and/or artwork.
    Tom McIntyre Click me.
    If you don't learn to laugh at trouble,
    you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old.
    Will Rogers

Default Re: Using topic prefixes to filter watch repair threads by watch type (By: Tom McIntyre)

Tom,
    Because this forum deals with cleaning, adjusting, repairs, etc. we need some more prefixs to use on the threads.

I am sorry but I am no artist.
    Jim Haney