Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 669 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: Ralph B)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    I'd second Tinker's comments.
    The ideal is a hood that slides off, leaving the movement and dial resting on their seatboard.
    The hood would be 3 sided so the backboard, with the chime rods attached, stays behind also.

If you make it this way then the clock can run quite happily whilst completely exposed.
    Adjusting the hammers, getting it in beat etc is so much easier this way.
    When it's all going well you simply slide the hood back on without disturbing anything.
    This is great advice. I am going to have to rethink my design.

I made a house call a few years back to service a floor clock, I intended to remove the movement take it with me and bring back serviced. This was a homemade case, with no easy way in. I had to use a ladder to get to the screws that held the top on, then remove some more screws, finally I was able to take the movement out by lifting the movement straight up and out. It's the only time I've had to work off a ladder to gain access.
    Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Registered user.

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: lpbp)

A clockmaker friend quoted on a clock that sounds very similar.
    He had a big job unstapling the back just to have a proper look at the movement.

The customer thought the quote too high, and anyway, he "had a friend who was mechanically minded, I'll let him have a look".
    The friend, peering down into the top of the case from his viewpoint atop a small ladder, decided that the way to get it out was to remove the 4 nuts at the back of the movement.........
    As the weights were still attached you can imagine the result as the plates separated and the mangled wheels cascaded into the base.

At this point the owner decided to get the pro back, and accept his quote.
    Unfortunately the pro now had a new quote, considerably revised from the first....

DBordello:

I was in the same boat a few years ago, i.e. needing to build a Tall Clock case for a movement. A Clock shop owner / friend had an Urgos movement (a fairly *nice* movement too - 5 tube chime, moon dial, seconds bit, etc) that he wanted to have a case made for. He gave me free reign on what I built, so I bought some plans... but I didn't like them. So, I figured out three measurements that I needed to know, and went from there. I needed to know the depth that was needed for the case. This was mostly so the weights didn't hit the front of the case anywhere, especially the "base" section. Since I wanted a Tall clock "with a waist" (i.e. not one of the modern looking "straight" clocks that are the mainstay of todays makers) I had to figure out the swing of the pendulum. The movement had one of those "gia-nor-mous" pendulums with a lyre and gridiron. OK, I figured that measurement out. Now, how tall can it be to clear an 8 1/2' ceiling AND run for 8 days. Once those measurements were "known, then it was just a matter of "building it" ! I had the added advantage of owning a Tall Clock already to "get ideas" from (It was one of those Mason & Sullivan kits from the mid-sixties...) I made it so that the hood (i.e. the "Bonnet" < sp?) slides straight-forward off the case. My advise is to "make a protrusion" on the bottom of the hood that fits into a "groove" (called a "rabbet") on the inside of the case so that "if you get it half-way off, and you need to take your hands off of it, it won't tilt forward and come crashing to the floor"... I can take pictures of it so as to give you some good ideas... Another thing you might want to do is to get on "Youtube" and search for "Gary R. Sullivan". He has a great video detailing how to get a tall clock ready to ship to someone. This video would be a valuable resource in seeing how they are made and put together, and of course, how they come apart...

I'm actually in the process right now of making a tall clock for my friend. His mother had a broken movement from a Howard Miller "Dutch Style wall clock" that they had just collecting dust. (Their clock repairman from 15 - 20 years ago just replaced the movement as a fix)... I had my same Clock Shop friend take a look at this "broken movement", and he fixed it up perfectly !!! So now, I'm making a clock around this movement ! :-)

I included a picture of the clock I built with the Urgos 5-tube chime movement... If you need some other pictures of this clock (inside and out) I will certainly make them available ! :-)

Joe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010225.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	256180

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: Joe Hollen)

I realized that I never really closed out this thread. I ended up speaking with some wonderful people, and I now have a Hermle 1161-853 sitting in my garage.

My thought process is outlined here: http://engineeredmusings.com/grandfa...lock-movement/

(I realize that is a bit blog-spammy, however it is a new blog I created to document my grandfather clock build process. That being said, if it is against forum rules, I would be happy to remove it).

I have filled some jars with lead weights, and a 2x4 stand waiting to fire it up.

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: DBordello)

Interestingly I am looking at 1161-853 114cm movements. I have gotten a few off ebay got great prices to learn how to service them. I like the triple chime option and the night shut off some of them have.

If you were just starting out I would have recommended you look through craigslist and kijiji to try and find a used Grandfather clock. That way you could get the movement, dial, weights, chime rods and pendulum for a decent price.

Of course it might need some servicing but that is not an issue for me as it is my hobby.