Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 760 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build

Hello All,

I am a novice woodworker, and I was recently inspired by https://imgur.com/a/9P5Z3 to build a grandfather clock. However, I don't want to just stick a quartz movement in it. Therefore, I want to select a reliable movement. From what I have read, it is better to build the case around the movement, so selecting the movement is the first step.

I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about grandfather clocks, and movements. Usually when I embark on a project, I jump head first and learn everything I can. However, I am surprisingly finding the internet a bit lacking on information about different movements and options. I have determined that Hermle is a popular option, and that 451-050/94 might be suitable. However, I am looking for recommendations.

As an engineer, down the road I will want to know how to calculate all of the proper parameters, but we can worry about that later.

So, what movements do you recommend for a novice? I want something that is simple to setup and maintain, but still has that authentic feel.

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: DBordello)

You should talk to Mark Butterworth. 563-263-6759
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    You should talk to Mark Butterworth. 563-263-6759
    Thank you for the headsup. I gave Mark a call. He was very helpful, and recommended that I check out cable driven clocks.

I just realized that auto night shut off is important to me. It looks like some 1161s have it, and all 1171s do. Any other models I should be investigating?

Registered user.

Other things to ask about:
    Dial?
    Moon dial?
    Single or multiple chime?
    Pendulum length?
    How long are the cables for full 8 day run ( add weight length ).

Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Other things to ask about:
    Dial? A piece of wood with 12 pieces of aluminum in a circle
    Moon dial?t Not needed
    Single or multiple chime? Doesn't matter
    Pendulum length? Not important
    How long are the cables for full 8 day run ( add weight length ). Not important

Tinker Dwight
    I am always concerned when I jump into a very specialized field, that the more research you do, the more you want the "top of the line". In this case, a beautiful, modern, case is what is going to drive this design. To be honest, a quartz movement would likely work just fine. However, I feel a nice case should have a worthy movement.

I am not looking to spend a ton of money (<$200) on the movement. I would like a movement that I can replace the chains/cable with a silver version, to go with the rest of the motif. The chimes add another great element, but aren't all that important. I certainly need them shut off at night.

I realize I am jumping into an aficionado den, but I am just looking for something respectful, that will meet my needs.

I am not sure if you can achieve your goal of <$200 once you get the movement, pendulum, weights and chime block. You might have to look for an older movement and rebuild it.

David
    David S

Registered user.

Mark is the right person to talk to.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: David S)

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I am not sure if you can achieve your goal of <$200 once you get the movement, pendulum, weights and chime block. You might have to look for an older movement and rebuild it.

David
    I can be flexible on the price if necessary.

Since the clock will be trimmed in aluminum, I am thinking I will need to create my own weights and pendulum. I wasn't going to include that in the budget.

At the moment I am leaning towards an 1161 or 1171:
    I realize there will be other costs as well.
    Last edited by harold bain; 03-18-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Deleted content against rules.

DB the NAWCC police may modify your post, since we aren't allowed to post links to current auctions.. BUY it NOW is ok.

David
    David S

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: David S)

Thanks, I edited my post.

Just an idea, but check out the Quad. It sounds great, will fit into most any dial, and fake chains and weight shells are cheap. You can get a regular pendulum and swing it with a battery powered swinger. It would look and sound great, and be in budget. Again, talk to Mark about it.
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Registered user.

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: shutterbug)

Don't forget to make it easy to access the movement.
    I've come across too many grandfather clocks where the maker hasn't realised the necessity to have easy access to the movement to service it, and to adjust things.
    With one I looked at the other day it was almost as if the clock had been built around the movement.
    It was a real mission to get it out....

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: Ralph B)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
    Don't forget to make it easy to access the movement.
    I've come across too many grandfather clocks where the maker hasn't realised the necessity to have easy access to the movement to service it, and to adjust things.
    With one I looked at the other day it was almost as if the clock had been built around the movement.
    It was a real mission to get it out....
    What kind of access is required? Would easy access from behind be sufficient?

Registered user.

It is best to have an entire hood that comes off.
    Removable side panels are OK.
    Having the movement on a slide that can be brought forward
    is next best.
    It is easiest to set the hammers for the chimes if all are in place
    with easy access. Being able to remove the dial and access
    the front can make oiling simpler.
    Tinker Dwight

Registered user.

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: Tinker Dwight)

I'd second Tinker's comments.
    The ideal is a hood that slides off, leaving the movement and dial resting on their seatboard.
    The hood would be 3 sided so the backboard, with the chime rods attached, stays behind also.

If you make it this way then the clock can run quite happily whilst completely exposed.
    Adjusting the hammers, getting it in beat etc is so much easier this way.
    When it's all going well you simply slide the hood back on without disturbing anything.