Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 670 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Hybrid View

Default Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build

Hello All,

I am a novice woodworker, and I was recently inspired by https://imgur.com/a/9P5Z3 to build a grandfather clock. However, I don't want to just stick a quartz movement in it. Therefore, I want to select a reliable movement. From what I have read, it is better to build the case around the movement, so selecting the movement is the first step.

I will be the first to admit that I know next to nothing about grandfather clocks, and movements. Usually when I embark on a project, I jump head first and learn everything I can. However, I am surprisingly finding the internet a bit lacking on information about different movements and options. I have determined that Hermle is a popular option, and that 451-050/94 might be suitable. However, I am looking for recommendations.

As an engineer, down the road I will want to know how to calculate all of the proper parameters, but we can worry about that later.

So, what movements do you recommend for a novice? I want something that is simple to setup and maintain, but still has that authentic feel.

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: DBordello)

You should talk to Mark Butterworth. 563-263-6759
    A man with a clock always knows the time. A man with two clocks is never sure.

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: shutterbug)

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    You should talk to Mark Butterworth. 563-263-6759
    Thank you for the headsup. I gave Mark a call. He was very helpful, and recommended that I check out cable driven clocks.

I just realized that auto night shut off is important to me. It looks like some 1161s have it, and all 1171s do. Any other models I should be investigating?

Registered user.

Other things to ask about:
    Dial?
    Moon dial?
    Single or multiple chime?
    Pendulum length?
    How long are the cables for full 8 day run ( add weight length ).

Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Selecting a movement for a grandfather clock build (By: Tinker Dwight)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Dwight View Post
    Other things to ask about:
    Dial? A piece of wood with 12 pieces of aluminum in a circle
    Moon dial?t Not needed
    Single or multiple chime? Doesn't matter
    Pendulum length? Not important
    How long are the cables for full 8 day run ( add weight length ). Not important

Tinker Dwight
    I am always concerned when I jump into a very specialized field, that the more research you do, the more you want the "top of the line". In this case, a beautiful, modern, case is what is going to drive this design. To be honest, a quartz movement would likely work just fine. However, I feel a nice case should have a worthy movement.

I am not looking to spend a ton of money (<$200) on the movement. I would like a movement that I can replace the chains/cable with a silver version, to go with the rest of the motif. The chimes add another great element, but aren't all that important. I certainly need them shut off at night.

I realize I am jumping into an aficionado den, but I am just looking for something respectful, that will meet my needs.

I am not sure if you can achieve your goal of <$200 once you get the movement, pendulum, weights and chime block. You might have to look for an older movement and rebuild it.

David
    David S

Registered user.

Mark is the right person to talk to.
    Tinker Dwight