Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3651 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Jason Jones

Default Sewills/Wm. Forbes?

I have many old sewills watches and clocks, some in need of repair. Sewills unfortunately no longer exists but I have been told that a firm called Wm. Forbes (I think) has taken over or can service repair sewills items. Does anyone know of this company?

Jason Jones

Default Sewills/Wm. Forbes? (RE: Jason Jones)

I have many old sewills watches and clocks, some in need of repair. Sewills unfortunately no longer exists but I have been told that a firm called Wm. Forbes (I think) has taken over or can service repair sewills items. Does anyone know of this company?

Forbes web site should be http://www.wmforbes.com but it does not seem to be working at the moment.

Note that Sewills were clock, watch and chronometer retailers and did not manufacture anything themselves. Any qualified watchmaker should be able to service their watches.

Jason Jones

Many thanks for your reply. The website appears to be working now. I also wanted to know about Wm. Forbes because they are supplying similar products to what Sewills were. I can now get my clocks/watches serviced and buy some Christmas presents for my family. Christmas already?

Thank you once again for helping me out.

Roland Ranfft

Hi Jason,

are you sure, the watches and clocks are marked Sewills, and not Sewill?

I remember, when I visited the site of Sewills, shortly before it expired, that they mixed up both names in their history page.

In fact Brian Loomes mentions a John Sewill, London 1875-1881. Probably the same John Sewill was mentioned by Britten with records from 1871-1875, and his address: 30 Cornhill, London.

The later information appears to by more reliable, because I have a spring-detent pocket chronometer with power reserve display from 1874, which is signed J. Sewill, 30 Cornhill, Royal Exchange, London.

Moreover it appears, that a company called John Sewill Ltd was still in business 1974 as certified workshop for chronometers. I had a Wempe marine chronometer with a sticker, telling that the item had the last service in 1974 by John Sewill Ltd, Maker to the Royal Navy, Liverpool.

I guess with the lable "Sewills" this tradition should be continued - no wonder that the last items I've seen in this site were certified wrist chronometers with the dial design of a standard marine chronometer.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Roland Ranfft

Oops!

Google finds lots of informations about Sewill, e.g. this one:
    http://www.anthonygreen.com/detailofsewill.htm

It is nearly the same chronometer like in my collection, having the serial number 25511 instead of 26882. This sample proves that the company had workshops in London and Liverpool.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Jason Jones

Hello Roland and Watchboffin.

Roland: Thanks for your reply and in depth information. A number of my products do have "Sewills" on the dial but I also have a few with "J. Sewill" on the dial. I wonder what the difference was, probably just different branding.

Watchboffin: I have bought from Wm. Forbes and I am more than pleased with what I got, I got a Professional Auto Divers watch at appx £500, it looks similar to the Omega Seamaster at a fraction of the price! Eta movement inside, Stainless Steel, 200m atm etc...
    Take a look http://www.wmforbes.com/product_p/9150.htm