Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification

The is a ladies pocket watch in which I would like to know the maker of the movement.
    It has wolf's tooth winding, a 14K JS case with the same serial number as the movement- No. 82476.
    I have seen this movement configuration before, but can not remember who made it.
    Note the watch does not have seconds.
    Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6571.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	241408   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6574.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	241409   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6576.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	241410   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6577.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	241411  

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: Bill Stuntz)

deelki,
    Your movement looks more European than American,so I moved your inquiry to that forum for more comments.
    Thanks
    Jim Haney

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: Jim Haney)

Deelki,

Interesting...Definitely European. I can't tell the maker's name but I presume it of decent quality. I know 'decent' does not pin it down for you. I have seen 3 George H. Ford watches and since I grew up in the New Haven area and went to school there, I had to purchase one at a J&H auction some 14 plus years ago.

From the Internet:

"GEN. GEORGE H. FORD, Commissary-General:

Is a prominent citizen of New Haven, where he is engaged in the jewelry business, his establishment being one of the largest and best appointed in New England. He is an active member of the New Haven Chamber of Commerce, and is one of the directors of the Grilley Company. He is also a member of the board of directors of the Young Men’s Institute at New Haven, Chairman of the donation committee of the Orphan Asylum, and takes an active interest in all public matters involving the welfare of his city. General Ford is a man of marked executive ability, and occupies a leading business position at New Haven. He is also associated with prominent social circles in the city, and is a gentleman of superior attainments."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	George Hare Ford.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	241462

My watch is marked Agaton, and when I had the movement overhauled, I was told it was very similar to J.J. Badollet. A few fellow collectors took a long look and said it is an ebauche made for Patek. I have been kind of stymied, but most pleased with my purchase. It may have been a watch that George H. Ford had made for personal use, and looks almost unused.

Yours being in a JS case is a very good sign since Jeannot & Shiebler made very fine cases.

Anyhow for a contrast, here are some pix of my George H. Ford watch - about 14 size.

Name:	Agatonback1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	241463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	agatonbezel1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	241464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	agatoninside1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	241465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	agatonmvmt1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	241466

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: Douglas Romero)

I really wish these American company, American owned and American CASED watches with Swiss movements would stay in the Amrican Forum, or perhaps in both forums.

But whatever.

No, the ladies watch way above is not a Patek. Never made by Patek. Does not look like a Patek, nor does the serial number range indicate a Patek.

Cool watch though and thanks for sharing!

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Hess; 11-23-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jeffrey P. Hess, collector, historian, writer, CEO Ball WATCH USA

Thanks!

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: Douglas Romero)

Douglas,
    Thanks for the information, and the photos of your watch. It's a beauty. You are correct that Jeannot & Shiebler made very fine cases. They are my favorite.
    Best Regards, Denny

Name:	Tiffany swiss simular to  George H Ford movement-2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	241557

Here is a Tiffany watch movement that is similar to the one I posted in the George H. Ford movement identification question.
    I thought maybe it would help.

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: deelki)

Quote Originally Posted by deelki View Post
    Here is a Tiffany watch movement that is similar to the one I posted in the George H. Ford movement identification question.
    I thought maybe it would help.
    Yes it would help. What is this watch?

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: MartyR)

I know this is an old lost thread, but I've come across the same movement and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on who made it. The movement serial is only 9 behind the Ford above and I can date it to the late 1880s by the case. I'm sure Jeff Hess is right that it is not Patek, but wouldn't serial 78000 to 83000 be the right time period for an 1880s Patek?

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: tgarnold)

Quote Originally Posted by tgarnold View Post
    I know this is an old lost thread, but I've come across the same movement and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on who made it. The movement serial is only 9 behind the Ford above and I can date it to the late 1880s by the case. I'm sure Jeff Hess is right that it is not Patek, but wouldn't serial 78000 to 83000 be the right time period for an 1880s Patek?
    Yes

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: Bryan Eyring)

It is absolutely from Patek! Tiffany and Patek had been use this movement for their high quaility lady pocket watch. Try to ask for the archive from Patek.

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

I have one with the same movement and close serial number which is from Patek. Patek issued the archive document. I think this one most from Patek.

Tom

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: tomczc)

Thanks Tom, I will request an extract. Here are a couple of pictures of mine. I can add some of the movement, but it is the same as the others. It is in a Tiffany marked 18k case. Does anyone recognize the dial maker? It looks like there is a blue star stamped on the back.

Name:	WIN_20170613_08_24_05_Pro.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	346704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20170613_08_24_11_Pro.jpg 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	346705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20170613_08_24_36_Pro.jpg 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	346706  

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification

Hi Jeff,

It is not the typical Patek. But Patek did produce a short period of time such interesting lady pocket watch caliber. See the photos, Patek issued the extract.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	350010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	350011  
    Last edited by MartyR; 07-14-2017 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Removed full-size images

Default Re: George H. Ford Pocket Watch Movement Identification (By: tgarnold)

I don't know the marker on the back of the dial. The dial is real beautiful