Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 929 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me?

Dear Forum readers, I have a watch that says "Geo. Porth. Jefferson City. Mo" on the dial and movement. It a size 6 and movement s/n is 6398711. Can anyone say what watch company made this item? I believe it may be a Elgin just because they made so many watches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geo Porth.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	235915

Default Re: Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me? (By: TomCarroll)

How about a sharp close-up of the movement?
    NAWCC LARC
    Volunteer

Registered user.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCarroll View Post
    Dear Forum readers, I have a watch that says "Geo. Porth. Jefferson City. Mo" on the dial and movement. It a size 6 and movement s/n is 6398711. Can anyone say what watch company made this item? I believe it may be a Elgin just because they made so many watches.

"Who made me?" you ask. Well, you also could have been made by Waltham. They made a lot of watches, too!

I looked up your serial number in both the Elgin and the Waltham serial number lists. SURPRISE!!! Your number fit into a run of 6-size hunting-case movements in BOTH lists, a coincidence that complicates coming up with the ID of your maker.

If you came from Elgin, you would have been in a run numbered 6,397,001 through 6,399,000, which would make you a Grade 118, 6-size, 2nd model, hunting, gilt plates, pendant-set with 11 jewels.

If you came from Waltham, you would have been in a larger run numbered 6,397,001 through 6,403,000, of Seaside-grade, 6-size, 1890-model, plates not specified (might be gilt OR nickel), pendant-set, with 7 or 11 jewels.

That's why it will be necessary for Tom to take a photo that shows your movement (don't be embarrassed by that), unless you can take a "selfie" and post it here! As long as the photo is well-lit and fairly sharp, we should be able to give you more specific info on your origins.

Larry Treiman

Default Re: Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me? (By: Larry Treiman)

Thanks, Larry! Attached is a clear movement photo. It's all gold colored in there with except for the blue screws.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141009_084512.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	235940

Tom,
    Looks like it was made by the Elgin National Watch company and is a model 2. Elgin is west of Chicago, about 35 miles.
    Brad Maisto, Indiana Chapter 18 President

Default Re: Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me? (By: Brad Maisto)

That is a Hampden 6S watch.

Tom

That hairspring stud looks very Elgin to me.

Default Re: Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me? (By: 179)

Yes, Elgin model 2 grade 118.

Smile Re: Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me? (By: TomCarroll)

A look at pages 4 and 18 of the 1896 A.C. Becken Jewelers' Wholesale Price List reveal how similar the Elgin and Hampden 6-size movements are. Nevertheless, as pointed out by 179, the hairspring stud is an Elgin characteristic.

Also, the relative positions of the case and train bridge screws show that it is an Elgin movement.
    Kent
    That guy down in Georgia

Default Re: Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me? (By: Kent)

Thank you for all the attention! I was leaning to Elgin also mostly due to the online Pocket Watch Database had the s/n in the Elgin lists. Thanks for that link for the Jewelers' Wholesale Price List, Kent. I got the watch off of eBay in good condition, but I still put it through the "scrub and lube." It looses about 30 sec per day - regulator exactly in the middle - not bad for 11 jewels.

Registered user.

Default Re: Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me? (By: Tom Huber)

Note to would-be watch detectives:

The fact that the serial number is in the 6 millions, for a 6-size to boot, should have immediately ruled out any possibility that it could be a Hampden!

Larry

Default Re: Geo Porth dial and movement - Who made me? (By: 179)

Yes Fred, my bad. I missed the stud shape, but I compared it to my Hampden and it looked very much the same. Now I know how close the two are in appearance.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 179 View Post
    That hairspring stud looks very Elgin to me.