Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3761 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    smallfry

Default when did timex stop making mechanical (wind up) watches

My grandfather gave me an old timex wind up wristwatch (with date) about 12 years ago. it still works and i wear it all the time. I want to find out approximately how old it is. I have contacted Timex but they have not been able to give me any info.

does anyone know roughly when they stopped production? It is water resistant and has the little waves on the front. Manufactured in the phillipines. i am guessing it is early 80s.

Thanks

smallfry

Default when did timex stop making mechanical (wind up) watches (RE: smallfry)

My grandfather gave me an old timex wind up wristwatch (with date) about 12 years ago. it still works and i wear it all the time. I want to find out approximately how old it is. I have contacted Timex but they have not been able to give me any info.

does anyone know roughly when they stopped production? It is water resistant and has the little waves on the front. Manufactured in the phillipines. i am guessing it is early 80s.

Thanks

Blog Entries

smallfry,

Welcome to the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors Message Board. The NAWCC is an international organization of folks interested in many facets of horology.

Now, to your question. I was sort of waiting to see if anybody who frequents this board actually had the answer for you. It may still happen, but in the meantime, I'd suggest you try out the Timex Forum where those who are interested in Timex watches gather. Here is the URL:

timex

Hope this helps.

Timex at one time coded the date year in the model number of the watch.The last two digits of eight determine the year.
    J Smith

collin

Hey smallfry,
    Timex made windups until the early to mid '90s in the Phillipines. It's difficult to know for certain when mechanical production ceased under the Timex logo because they may have been produced for poorer coutries after they disappeared from the American market (may be difficult to find a battery in Kenya, etc...). Imho, they are under apppreciated for the niche they filled in pop culture, average Joe culture, and the like. I still collect them, as well as the American Hamiltons, Omega, and other misc. swiss and American brands. collin

smallfry

Thanks everyone. i appreciate this info. this timex wind-up, actually keeps pretty good time... it will lose a little over long periods of time... but i always forget to wind it up at least once a week and end up reseting it anyway.

thanks again.

smallfry

one more thing... the watch does have a number on it.

it says "assembled in phillipines" and under that it has the number "05" or maybe it is the letter "O" and then a 5.

thanks again

collin

hello,
    If you are curious to know when your Timex was produced, look just below the '6' marker with a magnifying glass. The last two digits of the number that appears there would be the year of manufacture. collin

smallfry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by collin:
    hello,
    If you are curious to know when your Timex was produced, look just below the '6' marker with a magnifying glass. The last two digits of the number that appears there would be the year of manufacture. collin <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    there are no numbers under the 6

collin

Hello,
    sometimes they are obscured by the crystal, so either crystal or the movement needs to be removed in order to read them.Attached is a dial from a 1987 Timex quartz. goodluck, collin