Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "William Post London, Verge"?

Hi, just to keep all you people on your feet I purchased 3 Verge Movements today. This movement is a very early Verge c1700-1750. I thought that I would take a punt on the age. Two of the movements are missing Balances and one has a Gold Balance Regards Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg   8.jpg   9.jpg   10.jpg  

11.jpg   12.jpg  
    Last edited by Omexa; 07-31-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: "William Post London, Verge"? (By: Omexa)

Hi Ray,

This is interesting. Britten's lists a William Post, 1760-1782, but this watch is clearly much older; from the balance cock I'd say around 1720-30, especially with the foot profile being nearly straight across, although the pierced out foot is slightly reminiscent of the late 1690s. The elaborate decoration on the end of the bolt spring also suggests the first quarter of the C18th, as do the square pillars.

Perhaps this William Post was the father or even grandfather of the one listed?

Very nice piece, you have a good eye!

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Hi, a closer date for the "William Post London" movement would be appreciated I have looked through my books and nothing. Regards Ray

Blog Entries

Hi Ray,

Having had another close look at the balance cock, the shape of the foot with the more sloping top on the right-hand side does suggest post-1720, and the streamers or wings on either side of the mask seem to have been abandoned by 1740-ish, so that narrows it down a little.

Regards,

Graham

"Ut tensio, sic vis" - Robert Hooke

Hi Graham, thank you for the effort, I suppose many Watchmakers have drifted into the mists of time. I have often wondered about these people; they had families and in many ways similar problems to us in todays World. In 200 or more years we will have gone the same way and drifted into the mists of time. I wax on philosophically about many subjects. But back to William Post surely this could not be the only surviving movement? I looks to be very well made. Regards Ray

Default Re: "William Post London, Verge"?

William Post is listed in the Goldsmiths list of shop signs as being on London Bridge with the sign of a dial in 1738. I know he was in business for some time after that, presumably until the buildings were cleared off London Bridge 1758-1762.

He is listed later in the Clockmakers company, 1766-76 I think, and I have seen a gazette entry of him being proposed as deputy for an alderman.

found it

Here he is still on London Bridge in May 1757 so presumably held on until they demolished the building around him!

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...kmaker&f=false
    Last edited by novicetimekeeper; 03-30-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    Nick, lots to learn, late starter.

Hi Nick, here is a Painting of Old London Bridge; it is allowed to be used if you include "Copyright © Victoria and Albert Museum, London 2017. All Rights Reserved" It must have been a very strong Bridge; it has 5 story Buildings on it. Regards Ray Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copyright © Victoria and Albert Museum, London 2017. All Rights Reserved.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	338424
    Last edited by Omexa; 03-30-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omexa View Post
    Hi Nick, here is a Painting of Old London Bridge; it is allowed to be used if you include "Copyright © Victoria and Albert Museum, London 2017. All Rights Reserved" Regards Ray
    Sadly I haven't been able to identify which bit of the bridge he was on.

Hi Nick, I have magnified the center of the Bridge and there is a Drawbridge to let Tall Ships pass through; it is winched up by Winches on the third Floor of the Building on the left hand side. I don't think I would be able to post the altered image under the V & A Copyright rules. Because of the size of the Buildings, the Foundations must have been pretty deep; how they achieved this in those days is beyond me. Regards Ray

Default Re: "William Post London, Verge"? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World lists:-
    Post William London (London Bridge) pre 1727-cc1766-76 and perhaps later
    I do not know if this is any help

- - - Updated - - -

The River Thames was wider and shallower in the 1700s

It was built in the twelfth century I think, probably using the Roman method of timber under the masonry. There is a bridge near here that was rebuilt in the 18th century but is still using the roman foundations.

Their limitation was the size of the span but remember they were building cathedrals in the twelfth century.

All those buildings were removed to reduce congestion and stress on the bridge. The roadway was widened, and the central arch widened to ease river traffic.

This bridge is said to be the reason the river could freeze, the narrow arches reduced the flow. Obviously it was also a lot colder then.

Hi all, you must excuse me for getting off the subject of "William Post", I find this Bridge very interesting. I have not been to London and I find the early Buildings and Churches etc. fascinating; it looks to me to be the "Tower of London" on the left hand side of the Painting and "St Magnus the Martyr" Church without a Spire on the right hand side of the Painting. Darwin where I live has virtually no buildings left that were built before Cyclone Tracy; there are a few ruined buildings that were left as Monuments to Old Darwin. Regards Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Omexa View Post
    Hi all, you must excuse me for getting off the subject of "William Post", I find this Bridge very interesting. I have not been to London and I find the early Buildings and Churches etc. fascinating; it looks to me to be the "Tower of London" on the left hand side of the Painting and "St Magnus the Martyr" Church without a Spire on the right hand side of the Painting. Darwin where I live has virtually no buildings left that were built before Cyclone Tracy; there are a few ruined buildings that were left as Monuments to Old Darwin. Regards Ray
    Yes, the Tower of London, though that is also on the river, there is a tower hill but the tower isn't on it.

The church on the right is Southwark Cathedral I think. On the bridge was a chapel to St Thomas a Beckett who had been murdered not long before the bridge was built.

Another view

By Angr - →This file has been extracted from another file: Panorama of London by Claes Van Visscher, 1616.jpg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=832356

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails London_Bridge_(1616)_by_Claes_Van_Visscher.jpg  

Default Re: "William Post London, Verge"? (By: novicetimekeeper)

Well in reply to your earlier question about your watch being the only example of his work I can assure you it isn't.

I just bought a bracket clock made by him.

Good on you Nick,
    Well in reply to your earlier question about your watch being the only example of his work I can assure you it isn't. I just bought a bracket clock made by him.
    When will it be put on the Clock Forum? Regards Ray