Goal: $300, Received: $90.00 (30%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Chime setting on Hermle 1050-20, simple tips?

Working on a floating balance Hermle 1050-20, selectable 8-note triple chime. My first one. The chimes are sequencing properly, but 7 minutes early. Oddly, if I flip the minute hand upside down, it's dead on. Do I have to go through the entire chime adjustment process, or is there a simpler way to get it into alignment?

Default Re: Chime setting on Hermle 1050-20, simple tips? (By: Uncle Lem)

The minute hand should have a bushing on it that can be turned so it will line up properly. Insert a file tang or anything square into the hand and turn it until it is right.

Will
    Will Walker (WOW)

Default Re: Chime setting on Hermle 1050-20, simple tips? (By: wow)

Will is right. But move it at the base of the hand or you'll bend it.

Default Re: Chime setting on Hermle 1050-20, simple tips? (By: shutterbug)

Thanks, Will and Shutterbug. Worked like a charm. Am I the only one who overthinks the small problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Lem View Post
    Thanks, Will and Shutterbug. Worked like a charm. Am I the only one who overthinks the small problems?
    NOPE!!

Default Re: Chime setting on Hermle 1050-20, simple tips? (By: shutterbug)

This is a much dumber problem. I can't figure out how to turn the chimes on! The chime selector is at three o'clock on my Hamilton mantel clock, seems to have five chimes to select from. It runs perfectly, but I don't know how to turn the chimes on!

Default Re: Chime setting on Hermle 1050-20, simple tips? (By: oldlawman)

FYI, this is typical on a lot of German movements, especially Hermle movements. It's probably the easiest type to adjust being it is actually in the hand.

All the way up should do it and there are usually only 4 dedents. Counting from the top it is: silent, 8 note chime, 8 note chime, 4 note chime.
    When the chime select lever is properly adjusted, the adjustable part that protrudes through the dial will never toutch the dial itself in any position. This part should stand proud of the dial by about
    5/16".
    Willie X