Goal: $300, Received: $225.00 (75%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......!

I have not been able to identify the maker of this coin silver watch case and would appreciate any input any of the members might have.

Thanks for any help,
    MartyW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F.M. COIN.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	221186  
    Love Many.......Trust Few, Always Paddle Your Own Canoe.

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: Marty W)

Bumped to the top hopefully to get a reply.

Thanks for anything,
    Marty
    Love Many.......Trust Few, Always Paddle Your Own Canoe.

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: Marty W)

Marty,
    I checked Niebling, Meyer's, Ehrhardt and can't find a reference to F. M.

Case research is just starting and early American cottage industry cases are mostly unknown. Any silversmith or trade person could make a case in his shed and mark it.

The design on the inter lid is similar to many of the early American Watch Case Co lids that I have seen.

Some we may never know, but they add to the intrigue.
    Jim Haney

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: Jim Haney)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Haney View Post
    The design on the inter lid is similar to many of the early American Watch Case Co lids that I have seen.
    I'm resuscitating this older thread because I just acquired an early Wm. Ellery, Serial # 218389, with a nearly identical case with the F.M.maker's mark.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellery 1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	340660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellery 2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	340661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellery 3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	340662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellery 4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	340663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellery 5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	340664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellery 6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	340665
    His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: vintageguy)

Despite the movement being a Wm Ellery, and the case probably being original, I'd spend a little time looking at English case-makers for that one. I don't find any American makers that would likely abbreviate to "F.M" either. The reason I mention English makers is because of the style of the cartouche on the cover. It reminds me of the the buckle-looking cartouche that is common to English cases.

I found a website with a silver case that looks a lot like yours, stylistically, however it is presently for sale. Posting the link may break MB rules, so I'm not posting. If you search under "cartouche on watch case", you'll probably find the one I'm referring to. Good luck. Cheers.

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: MrRoundel)

Appreciate the tip. The case did not turn up right away using that search, but what you're saying makes sense to me. As I understand it, US watchmakers were still importing cases from Europe for their American-made movements in the 1860s. Can you give me more precise search parameters for this particular case?
    His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: vintageguy)

Sorry, I mislead you a bit with the search parameters. What I used was "cartouche" watch case. Good luck.

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: MrRoundel)

I'm guessing "F. M." is a retailer's mark. Whether this firm also actually made the cases that carried their marking is unclear. And the same initials appear on gold cases too. I have seen Howard keywind watches with correct 18K cases marked "F. M.," but I have never been able to attribute a maker to the mark. Perhaps if one could find a business directory for Maiden Lane in NYC for one of the years 1860, 1865 or 1870, that would identify the firm.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: Clint Geller)

I don't know who made them but I had an Elgin that dated to 1877 with the same mark. It was a heavy KW hunter and the case number was 8678. -Cort

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......! (By: 4thdimension)

Thanks All. I did the search that Dr. Geller suggested re: Maiden Lane business directory retailers from 1860 -1875, and also ran an exhaustive internet search on "FM" silver marks. My research disclosed the following potential candidates:

Franz F. Meyer, Halifax - Nova Scotia 1809-1847

Frederick Marson, England 19th c./2nd half

Francis Martin, Dublin, Ireland 19th c./2nd half

Frederick Marquand, New York, Savannah, Ga. 19th C.

Are any of these viable candidates?

Default Re: Identify maker of coin silver watch case ........ please......!

Quote Originally Posted by vintageguy View Post
    Thanks All. I did the search that Dr. Geller suggested re: Maiden Lane business directory retailers from 1860 -1875, and also ran an exhaustive internet search on "FM" silver marks. My research disclosed the following potential candidates:

Franz F. Meyer, Halifax - Nova Scotia 1809-1847

Frederick Marson, England 19th c./2nd half

Francis Martin, Dublin, Ireland 19th c./2nd half

Frederick Marquand, New York, Savannah, Ga. 19th C.

Are any of these viable candidates?
    In my opinion, the first three are not viable candidates. The fourth would be an extreme longshot.
    Clint Geller, FNAWCC, # 84,947