Goal: $300, Received: $20.00 (7%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Wittnauer TTC LONGLIFE BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Need to know how to replace battery in Wittnauer LONGLIFE as battery is part of case back and is the battery glued in and does anyone know what type and number

Default Re: Wittnauer TTC LONGLIFE BATTERY REPLACEMENT (By: Robert van Bueren)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	218007Click image for larger version. 

Views:	79 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	218008Click image for larger version. 

Views:	103 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	218009

First pic is inside back showing battery 2nd pic outer side of case back and last pic the movement showing the connector on top which makes contact with battery and edge of inside caseback the battery will not come out whether it's been glued in or edge inside case back rolled over to retain battery not sure any ideas out there
    Last edited by Robert van Bueren; 04-17-2014 at 02:33 PM.

I had one of these come in to my shop years ago and ended up replacing the movement with a virtually identical one that takes a standard battery. But, I don't remember how hard I looked for a replacement.

We Can modify your watch to make it runs again .If you are interested please let me know.

Registered user.

It looks like a lithium cell stuck inside the case back, if you can prise it out then you can read any numbers on the back

Registered user.

Default Re: Wittnauer TTC LONGLIFE BATTERY REPLACEMENT (By: dAz57)

That may well be a WD-5 battery fitted to the caseback. Have a word with Paul at www.electric-watches.co.uk He is an aficionado of these things and has an excellent reputation.

Reading these two links may also help you http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers...electro-chron/ and http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers...ron-electrics/

Yes I realise that the second link contains the word Landeron but, if you read the contents of the first link, you'll see why the second link is there.

Regards

David

[QUOTE=Robert van Bueren;860716]Click image for larger version. 

Views:	86 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	218007Click image for larger version. 

Views:	79 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	218008Click image for larger version. 

Views:	103 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	218009Hi, I just bought one of these watches. Is this a snap-off caseback? Did you ever manage to source a replacement battery? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,Matthew

Default Re: Wittnauer TTC LONGLIFE BATTERY REPLACEMENT (By: Matthew Middleton)

Hi, the only real solution for these is to replace the movement. The watch uses a Harley-Ronda movement with an adapter to accept the weird case back mounted CR-2016. The good news is you can replace it with Harley Ronda # HQ-705-D6 which uses a regular battery. This movement is currently $15.95 from Otto Frei.

Cheers,

Matthew

Registered user.

couldn't you just pry out the old battery and fit a new CR2016?

and if you do fit the new movement do you still leave the old battery in place?

Default Re: Wittnauer TTC LONGLIFE BATTERY REPLACEMENT (By: dAz57)

Hi,

I've tried digging the old batter out of the case back but didn't have any luck. I plan on fitting a new movement and leaving it in there unless anyone else has a better idea...

Hello, I am new to this board. I am the owner of a Wittnauer TTC longlife watch. I recently bought it on E-Bay to replace the one that was stolen from me in 2002. It is the exact replacement of the one I bought in 1996. It is the most beautiful watch I have ever seen. I was at the mall in 1996 and I spotted it from many feet away in a jewelry store. It just "jumped out at me" and I had to have it. I have never felt this way about any other watch. For the past 14 years I have tried to find a replacement but to no avail. SO now I have it and it is still running. I know that the battery probably doesn't have much life left in it so I am interested in getting it replaced. If anyone has any updates on this, I would really appreciate it.

Default Re: Wittnauer TTC LONGLIFE BATTERY REPLACEMENT (By: Rob Hunsaker)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wittnauer.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	286334This is the watch.

Default Re: Wittnauer TTC LONGLIFE BATTERY REPLACEMENT (By: Rob Hunsaker)

This is a very old topic, and I don't know if anyone will be following it, but I know most everything about this battery. It was made for Wittenauer by Catalyst Research corp, and the watchback itself is actually the battery. The battery chemistry is lithium-iodine, and the battery cover (visible only when the back is removed from the watch) is laser welded into the watchback. (word of caution: it is probably dangerous to expose the insides of the battery to air, so best not to mess with it.) I have 3 of these watches, and they are all still running on the original batteries after 21 years. If anyone is really desperate to replace one of these backs, I have 5 of them. I don't think they have the center contact pin attached, and they are 21 years old, but they are unused, and might be installed with some effort.

Default Re: Wittnauer TTC LONGLIFE BATTERY REPLACEMENT (By: JGB)

Rob if you have an old unused battery I would like to try it. My Wittnauer Long Life battery just quit after about 20.5 years. My watch does not look like yours. Mine looks very much like a Breitling Colt. The back is not a snap on but a screw down ring.

I see the Catalyst Research group was in Owings Mills or close to it. I live in the Baltimore Metro area. Do you still have any of these batteries?