Month's Goal: $300, Received: $180.00 - (60%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which side is left & which right on a wall clock with two holes ?

Is the left side when facing the clock or away from clock (like if your are standing with your back to clock ) left or right as that ?
    I know it may sound a bit dumb but have never had a wind up pendulum clock before !

cheers

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which side is left & which right on a wall clock with two holes ? (RE: Linley)

I have never looked at a clock when I had my back to it Looking at the dial, the time side is most often on the right. So, I guess it would be on the left if you turned your back to it.
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Registered user.

Default Re: Which side is left & which right on a wall clock with two holes ? (RE: Linley)

Your left is the clock's right, the clock has a face or front so has a left and right side, so if I told you to wind the chime on a three train clock, it will be the keyhole on the left side of the clock or on "your" right, ok

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Which side is left & which right on a wall clock with two holes ? (RE: dAz57)

When describing which arbor winds which train, or which weight is for the chime, I describe it based on "my right", not "the clock's right". So the time arbor is most often on "my right", as is the chime weight.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Which side is left & which right on a wall clock with two holes ? (RE: harold bain)

Quote Originally Posted by harold bain View Post
    When describing which arbor winds which train, or which weight is for the chime, I describe it based on "my right", not "the clock's right". So the time arbor is most often on "my right", as is the chime weight.
    That's the way most of us think of it, based on comments here over the years. Gets too complicated otherwise, like theater "stage right".

Default Re: Which side is left & which right on a wall clock with two holes ? (RE: shutterbug)

I like to keep it simple for my customers... The time is the arbor by the 4 and the strike is by the 8... Unless of course it is a Westminster.

[QUOTE=Linley;856799]Is the left side when facing the clock or away from clock (like if your are standing with your back to clock ) left or right as that ?
    I know it may sound a bit dumb but have never had a wind up pendulum clock before !

cheers[/QUOTE

Default Ok time is the right 👍 chime is on the left (RE: Linley)

Ok so time on right ,chime on left & I wind the time anti clockwise & the chime clock wise ? Is this correct please ?
    Oh and it's much easier to read the time facing the clock 👅 thanks 😜

Linley, the only dumb question is the one not asked. If you have never had a wind up clock, I'm sure it is confusing and you will have questions, so ask away.

Missy

Default Re: Ok time is the right 👍 chime is on the left (RE: Linley)

Quote Originally Posted by Linley View Post
    Ok so time on right ,chime on left & I wind the time anti clockwise & the chime clock wise ? Is this correct please ?
    Oh and it's much easier to read the time facing the clock  thanks 
    On first reading this thread title it sounds like an April Fool's Day post.

On spring driven clocks with two trains one winding arbor is for the time train and the other is for the strike train which sounds the hours and half hour. Time is usually on the right and strike on the left. Chime refers to quarter striking and is usually in the centre between the time and strike winding holes though sometimes the winding arbor for the chiming train is on the right and the time arbor is in the centre.

Some clocks are however rear wound so the left/right positions would be reversed.

Winding tends to be clockwise on all trains though this can vary especially on American clocks. It is easy to tell as it will only wind in one direction.
    Jonathan.

Linley, could you post a picture of your clock so we could see exactly what type of clock you have?

Default Re: Ok time is the right 👍 chime is on the left (RE: Missy)

I couldn't quite work out how to insert picture from my iPad on this site ? But I now know my right from left �� and I know now I had wound it correctly ��
    it had run for the 31 days & chimed incorrectly , then I worked out how to change the chime to the relevant hour & it worked well , then clock was taken down (for painter) time ran down while off the wall & when I rewound & put back up, time is correct but can't get the chimes right , have tried several times adjusting with the small wire next to the face & pendulum but it won't pick up the correct amount of chimes for the hour �� this clock used to chime the hours & 1 chime on the 1/2 hour , This clock has " Trade Mark " TAKEDA CLOCK " then under that Super Deluxe 31 Days !

Quote Originally Posted by Linley View Post
    I couldn't quite work out how to insert picture from my iPad on this site ? But I now know my right from left �� and I know now I had wound it correctly ��
    it had run for the 31 days & chimed incorrectly , then I worked out how to change the chime to the relevant hour & it worked well , then clock was taken down (for painter) time ran down while off the wall & when I rewound & put back up, time is correct but can't get the chimes right , have tried several times adjusting with the small wire next to the face & pendulum but it won't pick up the correct amount of chimes for the hour �� this clock used to chime the hours & 1 chime on the 1/2 hour , This clock has " Trade Mark " TAKEDA CLOCK " then under that Super Deluxe 31 Days !
    Try moving the hour hand to match the number of hours it strikes and then set the time by moving the minute hand. e.g. if when it strikes the hour the hand shows 2 and it strikes 3 move the hour hand to 3 and then using the minute hand set the correct time ensuring you allow the clock to strike the half hour and hour each time.
    Jonathan.

Registered user.

Default Re: Ok time is the right 👍 chime is on the left (RE: jmclaugh)

It sounds like it is a count wheel clock.
    You should be able to put the minute hand, a couple minutes past
    the hour ( there are some positions that will block you from advancing
    the count ).
    Push the wire up momentarily( don't hold it up ). This should cause the
    strike to trigger.
    Repeat this until the strike count matches the hour ( best not done
    at 1 o'clock as it can be confused with the half strike ).
    Once this is done, advance the minute hand until it matches the
    time ( do not rotate the minute hand backwards past the hour
    or half hour. Always advance it ).
    While advancing, if you advance past the half or hour, stop
    withing 5 minutes past and allow the strike to complete.
    If it doesn't strike when passing the hour or if it then strikes
    the wrong amount of times, it means the clock will need
    servicing. This happens sometimes when a clock has been
    given a rest and then put back into use.
    Old oil gets sticky and stops some of the parts from moving.
    It is also possible that someone, not knowing how to oil a
    clock has put oil on the wrong place, that has become sticky.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Ok time is the right 👍 chime is on the left (RE: Tinker Dwight)

One other method of setting the strike (yous is not a chiming clock) is the "11-9" method. Turn the minute hand to the 11 (listen for the whirring sound indicating the warn run) then turn it back to 9. It will strike. Keep doing this until the strike is one BEFORE the number indicated by the hour hand. Then when you advance the minute hand to the 12 it will be right.