Goal: $300, Received: $165.00 (55%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 17j 18s Illinois Bunn Hunter Search (By: Bunn Addict)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunn Addict View Post
    If Mr. Cote's previous suppositions are correct: Then these last 18-S Hunter Bunns should be "highly sought after" and attract the attention of even more collectors. Hopefully, a few more of these will show up in the not to distant future.
    This goes back to the old deal that rare doesn't necessarily have much to do with demand or value. Sometimes rare means that not enough people know about something to generate demand.

Other than the Illinois Watch Co., Encyclopedia & Price Guide, by Meggers and Ehrhardt; is there any other literature available concerning these watches? Any advertisements or offical/un-official documentation? It would be great to see a copy of the original ledgers, attached to this thread...
    I have never seen period advertizing for these watches. I would love to see some too. As far as the ledgers are concerned, the copy of the Illinois ledgers I have seen is so bare bones that it offers very little insight into anything.

With permission from Jones-Horan; photos of my 17-Jewel, 18-S Sunburst Hunter (model 5) Bunn, SN 2248209, before it was cleaned.
    Your very nice example came from the collection of my very good friend, the late Jerry Barko. Jerry and a friend started a printed circuit business in Indianapolis early in the solid state era. He made a little money and was able to engage in his passion for collecting. He had a good eye for a lot of things but in the end settled on American Pocket watches. Quite a bit of what was at that JH auction was Jerry's. I sold Jerry my collection of 17j Bunns around 12-15 years ago. It was missing this watch but contained most of the rest. Jerry bought this watch at another JH auction and was very proud of it. He knew how hard they were to get. Your watch was formerly owned by a really great guy.
    John Cote
    Watch Collector (pocket & wrist), Clock Admirer, Time Nerd...

Mr Cote,

I've also been looking for those 17 Jewel Sunburst Hunter Bunns, and am the current owner of S/N 2248209; which was acquired from a Jones-Horan auction. I currently don't have the ability to post a photo, but it is marked exactly like the ones you've posted and have the exact same typical Later Bunn/Bunn Special Gothic, pointed top 4, red 5 minute markers dial. I have also seen S/N 2248205 on E-Bay in May 0f 2008. At the time I felt the asking price was too much for me, so I did not entertain the thought. Hope this info helps...
    Derek,

Thanks for sending me the photo of #205. This certainly confirms that 5 of these watches have been seen. Has anybody seen a serial number not mentioned in this thread?
    John Cote

Default Re: 17j 18s Illinois Bunn Hunter Search (By: John Cote)

Well, a 6th example, #2248274 has shown up. It is obviously from the same run of 100 as all of the other known examples...still none from the other run mentioned in the records. Hopefully photos to follow...maybe.
    John Cote

maybe?? whazat? it is nice enuff to photograph hope u did not turn it down... (in a way).....

Registered user.

Default Re: 17j 18s Illinois Bunn Hunter Search (By: grtnev)

Great News! Another one has appeared, #2248219. If you would like to see a photo, view the Jones-Horan auction of 4 Oct 2015, Lot #514. So as of today, 7 of the supposed 200 produced have been seen and confirmed.

As Mr. Cote previously stated:
    "It is obviously from the same run of 100 as all of the other known examples...still none from the other run mentioned in the records."
    Bunn Addict
    Specifically seeking "LARGE BUNNS" in the Copper State...

I can't help ... but I also can't help throwing up my 17J HC Bunn, and Bunn grade PL ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sn 1292816 mvmt3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	276266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sn 1356745 mvmt3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	276267
    Member Chapter 149

Registered user.

I realize it's been a while, but I wanted to post a movement photo (with permission from Jones-Horan) of my second 17-Jewel, 18-S Sunburst Hunter (model 5) Bunn, SN 2248219.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21514_f.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	355.5 KB 
ID:	317418
    Bunn Addict
    Specifically seeking "LARGE BUNNS" in the Copper State...

Beautiful Movement.
    John Cote

Here's serial 2248204, keeping with the theme of all examples so far being from the early part of the run ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iPW12032a10.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	353121  
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Default Re: 17j 18s Illinois Bunn Hunter Search (By: Fred Hansen)

So...we have 204 to match up with 205. Nice one Fred. Can you say where this one turned up?

JohnCote
    John Cote

John,

Are you only interested in 17J hunter cased bunn specials? Recently came across a 21J hunter cased bunn.

Default Re: 17j 18s Illinois Bunn Hunter Search (By: Fishman)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    John,

Are you only interested in 17J hunter cased bunn specials? Recently came across a 21J hunter cased bunn.
    I am interested in Bunns in general but this thread is only about 18s 17j Double Roller Bunn Hunters...not even the single roller version. I think the nerds here,,,,me among them wanted to find out if there were any of these watches from the second run of 100 which is noted in the factory records. It seems that there are not....and this thread comes close to proving it.

The bad part is that it seem like about 3 or 4 of us own all of the known examples and that we and maybe a couple of other people are the only ones who really care.
    John Cote

Fishmam, I think you will find the 21 hunter Bunn is in fact a 21 Bunn Special hunter. Bunns are 17-19 Jewel, Bunn Specials are 21- 26 jewel.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cote View Post
    So...we have 204 to match up with 205. Nice one Fred. Can you say where this one turned up?

JohnCote
    Online auction, the seller didn't make any comments about its rarity but as usually happens a few bidders recognized it and pushed it to a decent level.
    Fred Hansen
    NAWCC #109682

Brain cramp, Bunns are 15-19 jewel.