Month's Goal: $300, Received: $325.00 - (109%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 4841 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Larry Jones 98326

Default Info on Croton Nivada Grenchen

I had one of these years ago that had a gold button on the back and marked like yours although I'm not certain it was 25 jewels. I believe the movement was a chronometer grade, yours may be. Your movement may come out through the front of the case after removing the stem and crystal, but you should have a watchmaker friend do this if you are not experienced.

Larry

Steve Maddox

Default Info on Croton Nivada Grenchen (RE: Larry Jones 98326)

I've seen the names Croton and Nivada used together on the same watch before, though not as commonly as I've seen them used separately. I'm not certain, but I believe Grenchen is a town in Switzerland, probably where the corporate headquarters are located. In any event, Croton and Nivada are part of the same company, and they make pretty good watches -- probably at least as good as Bulova, or other similar watches, but for some reason, they don't seem to get much respect among collectors. I've always wondered why that was.

As far as I know, Croton and Nivada don't actually produce watch movements of their own; they have them made on contract by a variety of "generic" companies, such as A. Schild, ETA, Valjoux, etc. In your case, I'd say the movement in your watch was probably produced by ETA sometime between the late 1950s and the mid 1960s. It could possibly have been made as late as the mid 1970s, but I seriously doubt if it's more recent than that. If you could post a picture, I could probably make a better guess, but I don't know of any resource for dating Croton and/or Nivada watches precisely.

Incabloc is a type of shock resistant jewel setting, which allows watches so equipped to suffer more severe jolts without damage. The Incabloc system was invented in the 1940s, and you can see the "Incabloc" name used on hundreds of different brands of watches made after that time.

I hope this helps!

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

Steve: I believe "Grenchen"is the Swiss name for Geneva.

Reg: I have a 25j ETA based auto marked as yours. It is all stainless, well cased
    and I'd bet mine was about 1950 or so. I think that these are a cut above the common Croton watches seen here often. Perhaps this designation is the European brand?

Steve Maddox

Dave - This time, I actually did a little research so that I now know what I'm talking about! :biggrin:

According to my (2000) World Book Encyclopedia, "The French spelling for Geneva is Geneve, and the spelling in German is Genf."

"Grenchen," on the other hand, is a town with a population of about 30k, which is about 20 miles north of Bern (the Swiss capital), 40 miles south of Basel (which is on the northern border), or about 100 miles northeast of Geneva (which is on the extreme western edge of the country).

SM

Larry Jones 98326

Gents,

To clarify my comment above a little, at one time I did have a chronometer grade Croton (marked 5 position) automatic (probably ETA) but I can't say for certain that it was in the Nivida Antarctic I had that was like the one mentioned above. Certainly Croton "made" some high grade watches. My personal opinion is that most Croton watches are a little above average in quality.

Larry

Steve Maddox

Well, since it appears I didn't do much good with my previous explanation, perhaps this will help: http://www.incabloc.ch/IncablocANG.html

:biggrin: SM