Goal: $300, Received: $185.00 (62%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Default Watch-Master G57 Paper

Anyone know where to get paper for this machine? My stash is starting to run out and I cannot find replacement paper anywhere. The paper in approximately 30mm wide. -Colt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140125_140306_resized.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	208418

Default Re: Watch-Master G57 Paper (By: txcolt45)

I know that this is an old post but I figured I'd respond anyway, as I have the same predicament. I think that you are lucky that you had a stash of that paper at all. I had just a tiny bit left on the roll when I got it back in 2001. Over the years I have been on continuous search for this rare paper. I thought that regular adding-machine type paper would work but apparently the Watchmaster stuff for this machine is special. I guess since the "print-head" doesn't really use ink, the print medium must be in the paper. I'm through trying and I'm going to remove the vacuum tubes, a few of which are desirable for guitar amps, and maybe the transformers. It's a shame because it's in such beautiful condition and I just found a substitute for the failed crystal mic. Oh well, if you need any parts, you might want to contact me. I'll probably hold onto them for a while. Cheers.

Registered user.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Watch-Master G57 Paper (By: MrRoundel)

Is it a heat reactive paper? In that case rolls for receipt Machines could work. Not sure that's the correct terminology but the ones that are in modern cashier terminals.

Default Re: Watch-Master G57 Paper

Thanks, karlmansson. No, I don't believe it's thermal paper. It's some sort of magical internal-ink paper that shows dots when it's impacted. I hit the small amount of paper i have with a sharp object and a dot showed up.

With great sadness, I tore the machine down, and it is now all parts. It really was an extremely well-made machine. I salvaged what appear to be very fresh vacuum tubes , 6V6 GT, 12ax7, 12au7, and other things, like a solid-state rectifier that fits a GY3 tube socket, that are usable and desirable for guitar amplifiers, as well as the transformers and various capacitors and resistors. I'm not happy about doing it, but I've had it for nearly 20 years and have never found the paper for it. It is a sad waste of beautiful electronic assembly, etc.
    Last edited by MrRoundel; 05-18-2017 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Rectifier info.

Unless you just like the old Mechanical machines it is time to upgrade to one of the many PC based programs like PCTM Pro or one of the Tablet or smart phone apps as parts and paper are becoming rare items that is why I did not buy one of the mechanical ones.

This machine was pretty special. And, based on the SS rectifier that fits the tube socket, it's probably the last one they made. That's why I kept it as long as I did, hoping that some paper would magically appear for sale. I agree about the newer ones that take up much less space, and are probably more accurate, or at least as accurate. Still, it was built like a 50's Cadillac. I did keep the medallion from the front, as it is very 50's/60's as well. Cheers.

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

It looks like the pressure sensitive tape we used to have for watchman's clocks, although that was only about 1/2 inch wide.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Here is one place that has some paper--- http://www.julesborel.com/s.nl/sc.31/category.991515/.f also here which has watch master specific paper--- http://www.esslinger.com/watch-timing-machine-paper/ you have to use the pull down menu to find the watch master paper. Were you lucky and get the hairspring vibrator with it?
    Last edited by Firegriff; 05-19-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Default Re: Watch-Master G57 Paper (By: Firegriff)

Quote Originally Posted by Firegriff View Post
    Here is one place that has some paper--- http://www.julesborel.com/s.nl/sc.31/category.991515/.f also here which has watch master specific paper--- http://www.esslinger.com/watch-timing-machine-paper/ you have to use the pull down menu to find the watch master paper. Were you lucky and get the hairspring vibrator with it?
    If you go to the drop-down menu you'll see that they specify the you'll need printer ribbon. That was what the G-47 used, a more conventional print setup, where there was ink ribbon between the printing head and the paper, just like carbon paper. The G-57 used a special technology where the "ink" medium is within the paper itself. The motor spun a corkscrew shaped print-head that somehow impacted the paper with amazing precision. I don't understand how it was done. I purchased some of the paper that is in the Esslinger sales page from Dashto, but it doesn't work. The size is right but no printing shows up.

And yes, I did get the 386 hairspring vibrator with it. In fact, I had two of them. Both had bad crystals as most do. That's why I had to find another type of pickup to use so the timing machine and I could hear the ticks. I finally did. It's the paper being extinct that caused the sad salvage operation. I got sick of throwing money at it and storing it in between the dollar showers. Cheers.

While working to identify some mystery parts (vacuum-contained tuning forks of various frequencies that have a vacuum-tube-like pins), I came across this post by Steve Maddox. It was way back in 2003, but I thought it funny that he referred to the later Watchmaster timing machines as being "Rube Goldbergish". I can see that. They certainly weren't under-built.

"WatchMaster made some later model machines (such as the G-47, etc.), but some of those are a bit 'Rube Goldbergish.' For example, I have one (can't recall the number right now) that's designed to "print" on paper tape by striking a metal mark on it. Needless to say, that situation was far less than ideal, and it worked much better once pressure sensitive paper was developed! Unfortunately, the original paper had graph lines on it (the machine doesn't have a graph on it), and when using modern pressure paper, it's a shot in the dark trying to figure out the exact rate."

http://mb.nawcc.org/archive/index.php/t-26177.html
    Last edited by MrRoundel; 05-24-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Minor wording change.

I like to restore tools and electronics last thind i did that had really no use was adding a Hard Drive ti an Atari 800XL but restoring can be an adventure.