Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1182 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how can I slow clock that runs too fast?

I have been working on a Gilbert tambour mantle clock time and strike I took in trade for some much needed dental work. This has been the clock from you know where. It has not run for three decades, everything was either bent, broken or just generally mucked up from being neglected all of this time. after much coaxing and plenty of colorful metaphors it is back in running order. now this cotton picker gains and hour and a half or so each day, (perhaps trying to catch up for lost time). even after turning the gadget that is suppose to slow it down as far as allowable it still runs fast. there is no room to drop the bob any farther without it hitting either the bottom of the case or the point where the hammers pivot just above the chime rods. I know someone is going to say send pictures, but the camera used for this purpose is MIA. any suggestions would be helpful.

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: Popi)

Hi,
    If I understand correctly, you adjusted the nut that pushes up or lowers the pendulum bob. Does this clock have a double ended key? If so, the smaller end fits into a very small winding hole which has S for slow on one side of it and F for fast on the other. So to adjust the clock's speed, turn the key, in this case, toward the S for slow and it should run slower, or vice versa if you need it to go faster. All this, of course is an assumption as we do not have pictures.
    Regards.
    How did it get so late so soon?
    ― Dr. Seuss

My clock collection, a work in progress:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/111564344@N02/

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: Ticktocktime100)

Since the bob is as low as it can physically go without hitting the case,I would say it is either skipping one of the teeth on the escape wheel, or is not the correct movement for the case.

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: Randy Beckett)

I have moved this to the Clock Repair forum, where it more correctly fits.
    “If one tells the truth, one is sure, sooner or later, to be found out.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: Steven Thornberry)

How much total swing does the pendulum have when it is running? Can you provide the thickness of the suspension spring? Is the clock " in beat"? Is the time error always the same every 24 hours or does the error change at random?

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: R. Croswell)

I'm not sure how to measure total swing accurately. the thickness of the suspension spring is 0.10mm X 35.92mm long X 6.33mm Wide. over all length of pendulum rod including suspension from the top of the suspension spring to the crook at the end of the pendulum rod is 124.31mm with an additional 52.27mm when the bob is properly hung. as far as the beat is concerned Ill have to record that in the next 24 to 48 hour. I tried to upload some photos but to no avail keep getting error message that file is too large 2.25MB. I don't get it.

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: Ticktocktime100)

ticktocktime100, I had already turned the mechanism that regulated the speed to as far as allowable in the direction of the S. I have tried for the last 2 hours to upload some photos using the instructions set forth from the tech crew at NAWCC but I keep getting an error as the file is to large. 2.25MB confound it I'm getting kind of frustrated.

Solo Deo Gloria

Popi,

The image size is restricted to 1000 pixels. Use your favorite graphics program and re-size the images so that the largest leg (either height or width) is no bigger than 1000.

For example if your 2.25 MB picture is 4320 x 3240 pixels (w x h), re-size it to 1000 x 750. You should have no trouble uploading after that.

HTH!

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: GregS)

I usually make the smallest dimension 2900 and it will upload fine (but the MB software may reduce them too). Anyway, I've seen Gilberts with the bob running below the strike rods, actually through them as it swings. Is it possible for that to happen on your clock? The suspension spring seems thin enough, so unless someone switched the movement in the case, you should be able to get it timed. Another possibility, of course, is that it's skipping teeth on the EW. Check that possibility out too.

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: GregS)

Thanks Ill try that

With that much gain, my guess is skipping teeth. A good audio might tell something.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: shutterbug)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0403.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	238.5 KB 
ID:	205093Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0404.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	205094Here are the photos

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Well, a longer pendulum rod should slow it down. It appears there is lots of room still under the pendulum to drop it down further.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Popi, I have the same movement sitting on a shelf, above the TV. On mine, the suspension rod, is over a half inch longer. The size of the spring steel: .004" I used Timesavers#:19577.
    To accommodate the tight space between the pendulum bob, the chime rods, and the back wall of the case, I swiveled the chime rod block, toward the front of, the case.
    As long as your verge isn't skipping escapewheel teeth, you should be able to bring it into, regulation.
    When Linda gets home, tonight; I'll have her post a few pictures.

Default Re: how can I slow clock that runs too fast? (By: harold bain)

I have that movement on my test stand right now, and it's swinging between 1/2 to 3/4 inch lower than yours. Somewhere in the past the suspension spring must have broken, and they just re-hooked it higher.

Looks like Patch and I were typing at the same time