Goal: $300, Received: $30.00 (10%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Gustav Becker Exercise (By: GregS)

Got it. All clear.

Tnx GJ

Sorry to be so dense.
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.

Default Re: Gustav Becker Exercise (By: bangster)

Thanks for that GREG! Great explanation.
    Any further questions before we move on? Anyone want to add further info at this point?
    This is YOUR thread and it shall contain my thoughts plus ANYthing else you'd want here.

Default Re: Gustav Becker Exercise (By: Scottie-TX)

O.K. Front plate clear. Rear plate clear. Take it apart! I like to put a thumb on each pillar post and push down on post while squeezing lift plate. Repeat for other two. Your choice at this point. Feel gutsy? Throw 'em all in a container and proceed to clean. I'm not so gutsy. I like the styrofoam deal. You may have your own system.
    This is also a great time to test the fit of plate to pillars with nothing between. Does plate lower smoothly onto posts or does it stall some places? I think it prudent to remove any burrs from pillars or holes so plates do fit smoothly as a stalling plate can make it very difficult to lower when you're trying to guide pivots to holes. It's also a good recipe for bending pivots when pressing on plate it suddenly overcomes resistance and crashes into a pivot. Now careful here. Remove only burrs, etc. You don't want plate loose or sloppy on pillars. O.K.?
    O.K. Clean it up and return!

WALES thanks for joining us as we commence assembly. The part you mention, BONG has described in post #7 as;
    The star wheel has a spring-loaded pawl that holds it in position.
    So we'll call that a pawl and of course it's purpose is to positively index and hold the snail accurately on the hour.
    O.K. Your movement parts look great - all squeaky clean and spiffy. Let's put them back where we found them. I'll call this step an option but an option I STRONGLY recommend if this is uncharted waters for you. My first assembly was the timeside only. No motion works - NOthing but the wheels and anchor required to display time. I don't need to tell you this is a good procedure because when successful and performing as expected and designed, if at any point in the future remaining assembly it no longer works - you KNOW the problem is not here. If you have a pendulum, hang it. If you don't, a test pendulum is easy to make. Use a bob close to the size and weight of a permanent one. It doesn't need to be pretty but there is one caveat. It MUST be rigid and capable of serving the test. My ugly pendulum has a wearplate that is taped on. I even had to add tape to hold bob when I ran out of threads. Your minute hand can be as simple as my piece or cardstock.
    My test run was about three days, a reasonable test especially if no problems have been encountered. If you have problems at this point, address and solve them now. I found mine with a very healthy swing and plenty of overswing on 1.5 pounds without a pulley. That's same as 3 pounds from a pulley and typical of weight necessary for these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABECKER 016.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	202874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABECKER 015.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	202875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABECKER 014.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	202876  

So now we're in the final stretch. Remove the crutch of course and install the strikeside parts between the plates. Don't leave out the strike hammer lever like I did. Assembled now, just pull lightly on the strikeside drum. All wheels should spin freely with little effort.
    Now get out your notes, charts, pictures, whatever you chose and replace all the strike parts to their respective places on the front plate. I note two in particular. The gathering pallet - that it is correctly oriented on it's square arbor. My picture shows it's position at the end of a strike cycle and 2. The strike lift lever. Unbelievably I installed it wrong twice. Make certain lift lever is BELOW post when installed so it can be lifted by pin.
    Another suggestion; I did not install ANY taper pins to these parts as that makes it easier to correct errors if a part needs moved to install another, etc.

Name:	ABECKER 004.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	202877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABECKER 028.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	202878  

Now a little side note about that errant hammer lever. Assembly for me went very smooth as wheels seemed to almost seek their holes and plate dropped nicely with smooth motion of wheels when I sat back, pleased, I noticed a leftover part;
    This is when I was glad I took the second picture. I just wasn't absolutely sure exactly how to position it.
    Satisfied I understood placement I commenced assembly again. This time not so smooth. Uh-oh. What's wrong? This time the plates refused to close. I studied the problem area and found it quickly. Make CERTAIN hook on lever arbor is seated between tension spring and seating cushion. Mine was resting on top of the spring.
    Looking GREAT now. This' beginning to be fun!

Name:	ABECKER 018.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	202879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABECKER 006.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	202880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABECKER 019.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	202881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABECKER 017.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	202882  

O.K. Let's wrap it up. All strike parts installed, crutch still off, let's install the motion works. First push minute cannon onto centershaft - anywhere - any position - doesn't matter. Next by setting timeside in motion note that every revolution minute cannon advances starwheel. O.K. this time rotate it again slowly, allowing starwheel to be advanced and soon as it is advanced - STOP movement. Now install intermediate wheel with the two pins such that the HOUR pin is a few degrees in front of the strike flirt lift lever. This placement ensures that the hour will be advanced a few minutes before the hour is struck. We wouldn't want them to occur simultaneously for two reasons. 1. Two simultaneous loads may be excessive and stop the clock and 2. We don't want to risk the advance being incomplete at time of strike.
    Now it may work just fine if not set up this way but I would not guarantee it and you would not want it any other way.
    Install the hands. Simple. Advance to hour and strike. Count the hammer lifts. Three? Install the hour hand to III and the minute hand to XII. Stick the crutch back on and commence final tests of strike and time.
    Questions? Corrections? Additions?

Name:	ABECKER 024.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	202883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABECKER 025.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	202884  

Shoulda warned ya; No volunteer; I'll do it. Now BONG I need you to keep me honest - your questions if I miss something - your corrections if something doesn't seem right. You're welcome to photo shop it if you prefer.
    Really not much to it. We'll start with the WARNING phase.
    Warning commences when the pin on the intermediate wheel begins lifting the arm on the strike flirt (middle picture). At that point the rack hook is lifted from the rack. The rack falls onto the snail on hour strike and the gathering pallet rotates a few degrees before being stopped by the warning pin on the fourth wheel. (bottom picture) The pin on the fourth wheel is arrested by an extension of the strike flirt that protrudes thru the small slot in the plate.(top picture)

Name:	BSTRIKE 001.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	202885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSTRIKE 002.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	202886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSTRIKE 003.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	202887  

STRIKE:
    Intermediate wheel continues to lift the strike flirt further until it falls off pin of intermediate wheel releasing the warning pin. Strike flirt then drops to rest and striking commences.

Pins on the second wheel provide for hammer lift.

Gathering pallet powered by the arbor on the third wheel moves rack one tooth for each strike (progressing toward the butt of the rack, rather than the tip) until strike number is complete. At that point, rack hook now falls into end of rack and gathering pallet is arrested by landing on the pin sticking out from the rack also.

Attachment 186838

Nearly as I can see that's about all there is
    Corrections, questions, additions welcome.

Name:	Becker detail.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	202888  

Blog Entries

Default Gustav Becker Two Weight Movement Tips

I hope this thread will be of interest and/or use to anyone who has the pleasure of work on one of these movement. This is an edited version of of thread created by Scottie - TX.
    Cheers
    Peter R Lee: AKA (Pee-Tah) from Australia

Default Re: Gustav Becker Two Weight Movement Tips (By: leeinv66)

sequence
    1. Check out the Repair Hints & How-To's forum. You may find your answer there.