Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1113 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default R5Y Motor for Seth Thomas Chime

I have a Seth Thomas Model E721-001 mantel chime clock in for repair that needs a new motor. I do not know whether the internal motor gearing is OK, but the coil looks shot, like it has overheated. This is not an A300-100 capsule but appears to be a somewhat later design. The 10-tooth gear coming out of the sealed gear casing turns approximately 3.5 turns per minute. The coil (which snaps onto the casing with interlocking metal fingers) bears a tag "G.T. Motor" and a marking "M5A-60C-115V." The casing has a printed stamp "R5Y." I have been unable to find anything like this in any of my supply catalogs. Is there someone who can direct me to an appropriate replacement motor?

Thanks and God Bless,

Jeff Zimmer

Default R5Y Motor for Seth Thomas Chime (RE: Jeff56)

I have a Seth Thomas Model E721-001 mantel chime clock in for repair that needs a new motor. I do not know whether the internal motor gearing is OK, but the coil looks shot, like it has overheated. This is not an A300-100 capsule but appears to be a somewhat later design. The 10-tooth gear coming out of the sealed gear casing turns approximately 3.5 turns per minute. The coil (which snaps onto the casing with interlocking metal fingers) bears a tag "G.T. Motor" and a marking "M5A-60C-115V." The casing has a printed stamp "R5Y." I have been unable to find anything like this in any of my supply catalogs. Is there someone who can direct me to an appropriate replacement motor?

Thanks and God Bless,

Jeff Zimmer

Thanks and God Bless,

Jeff Zimmer

Thanks and God Bless,

Jeff Zimmer

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Jeff, try American Time and Signal, They should be able to help you. http://www.atsclock.com Good luck, Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Jeff, try American Time and Signal, They should be able to help you. http://www.atsclock.com Good luck, Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Can you post a picture of the motor?
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Can you post a picture of the motor?
    "Find a need and fill it". Henry J. Kaiser

Default Re: R5Y Motor for Seth Thomas Chime (RE: Tom Kloss)

Hi there Jeff:

Have you ever found a replacement motor for that specific clock? I too, have a customer that brought that exact same clock into the shop and it too, is in dire need of the exact same motor.

If at all possible, please contact me at the shop to let me know.
    Thanks so much in advance.
    216-671-9504

Die Klockwerken Antique CLock Repair & Restoration
    Cleveland, Ohio
    216-671-9504

Default Re: R5Y Motor for Seth Thomas Chime (RE: klockwerken)