Goal: $300, Received: $125.00 (42%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1271 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Registered user. JohnFromRoyalOak's Avatar

Default Trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here

Please if anyone can help, I'm trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here. Just bought this clock. Bought it off a guy for $40. He said he got it from his parents a long time ago. Said it never ran as long as he's had it. Chains, weights, and pendulum were all off. But I thought the case was in really good condition so...what' s 40 bucks right? I'm really new to Grandfather clocks. First experience with one. Took the back panel off, removed the chimes, removed the movement. I took my time and figured it out. Runs perfect, Unbelievable! Now I want to find out more about it. What year it is and any other info anyone might be able to help me with. Thanx so much!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_150414-1-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	197804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_171452-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	197806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_171515-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	197807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_171420-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	197808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_171532-1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	197809
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131026_171452.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	197805  

Default Re: Trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here (By: JohnFromRoyalOak)

Hi,
    Someone will surely help with the model, but I would give your clock a date of about the 1970's.
    Regards.
    “How did it get so late so soon?”
    ― Dr. Seuss

My clock collection, a work in progress:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/111564344@N02/

Default Re: Trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here (By: Ticktocktime100)

Thanks!

Default Re: Trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here (By: JohnFromRoyalOak)

Look on their website, if you don't see it there send them an email with pictures of it and ask them to identify the model name for you and date, I'm sure they would oblige.

Default Re: Trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here (By: Oldfathertime)

Thank you. I went to the website. Seems like a very basic website. I will email them. Thanks for your reply.

Hi, John.

Welcome to the message board and congrats on your nice clock!

I have three Ridgeway clock catalogs, from ca. 1967, 1977 and 1997, but unfortunately I couldn't find your clock model in any of them. I suspect your clock falls in between the years that my catalogs cover.

However, if I acquire any more catalogs, I plan to come back and do new look-ups on all the Ridgeways I was unable to identify.

Sorry I wasn't of more help.
    Best of luck!
    John
    John C.
    About 3/4 of my clock collection. Still photographing the last 1/4!

Default Re: Trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here (By: Spaceman Spiff)

Hey Thanx John. Yeah any help would be much appreciated. I'm going to have another look inside. See if there is some markings I missed. Where did you get your catalogs? Wish I could get some as I was thinking about maybe starting a Ridgeway collection in the coming years. That is if the wife doesn't kill me...lol This is my first Grandfather clock and I'm really starting to get into them. Thanx so much!

When you look inside, there may be a model number listed somewhere. I suspect it's a 3-digit number (1960s, 70s, 80s), judging by the look of your clock.

The catalogs are just ones that I've picked up here & there over the years.

Thanks,
    John
    John C.

Default Re: Trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here (By: Spaceman Spiff)

Here is the sticker that is inside the clock. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131030_153840-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	198490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131030_153901-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	198491

Aha. Yes, your clock is model 145, the number of which places it during the period I'd expected. I would estimate that your clock dates from sometime between 1967 and 1977. Unfortunately, that model is not included in any of my catalogs.

Sorry I wasn't of more help. But if I run across any additional information I'll let you know.

Thanks,
    John
    John C.

Hey thanx John. I really do appreciate your input. It at least gives me something to go on as far as my search goes.

Still searching.....

Looks like your clock uses an Urgos movement. The chime block is mounted on the front of the case which is not the most common setup.

Ridgeway offered several models of floor clocks over the years, some less populous than others.
    Your example is a contemporary take on the typical 1800s American floor clock - narrow waist, arch dial, even the flat top was sometimes to be found on the older clocks. Innovations such as the Westminster chime and Tempus Fugit dial are not to be found on the "originals".

Ridgeway mainly got into the clockmaking (really casemaking) business during the 1960s, an era which saw demand for more economical (read: cheap) floor clocks compared to older products. Such makers included Howard Miller, Sligh, Emperor, and Ethan Allen. Movements were imported from Germany from firms including Urgos, Hermle, and K. Jauch. These are typically low quality and by now require extensive servicing to keep them running. Ridgeway went on until 2005 when they were bought by Howard Miller.
    "A good gong sells the clock!" - Justin A. Olson

Default Re: Trying to find out what Ridgeway clock I have here (By: chimeclockfan)

Hey Thanks Justin. Appreciate your input. Interesting info.