Month's Goal: $300, Received: $235.00 - (78%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 395 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default Gathering Pallet

Early 20th century Gilbert banjo with the movement type shown front and back in the photos below. My last problem to resolve is getting the strike sequence set. The strike is off and I would like to know how to set the gathering pallet on this particular movement - as the pallet is not a bean.

The strike is a bim bam, but I only get a bim on the half hour and the half-hour bam occurs on the hour before the hour sequence. The problem is that the gathering pallet only moves about 20 degrees on the half hour, as the warning wheel is stopped by the warning pin too early.

I have 1 and 2 below, but not 3. Since I don't have a bean indentation, I don't know exactly what position to put it. Also, I am now sure how to adjust it while the movement is together without breaking something.

Anyone out there that can throw some help my way? Thanks!

Things are properly adjusted when...
    1. When the rack hook is fully dropped beneath the rack,
    2. The warning pin is resting against the locking stub; and
    3. The projection on the rack hook is nestled in the dent of the bean cam.
    That means the rack hook is synchronized with the warning wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement front.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	197118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	movement.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	197119

Default Re: Gathering Pallet (RE: MuensterMann)

Probably going to be lots of trial and error. I don't like those double pin gathering pallets. Try turning it CCW about 5° at a time until it works.

Registered user.

Default Re: Gathering Pallet (RE: shutterbug)

As long as the pallet pins don't block the rack from
    falling when it is locked, it should be OK. As I recall,
    the pins lift the rack enough so that the hook slides
    over the next tooth of the rack without being lifted
    by the bean cam on the pallet.
    Still, rotating the pallet slightly should find the spot
    where it does both before letting the rack drop.
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Gathering Pallet (RE: Tinker Dwight)

I am ready for the trial and error. Is there a safe and easy way to adjust the pallet without loosening the plates and messing with the arbor? I know that it is a press fit, but something has to be held while the pallet is turned - and it is hard to get any tools on anything!

Quote Originally Posted by MuensterMann View Post
    I am ready for the trial and error. Is there a safe and easy way to adjust the pallet without loosening the plates and messing with the arbor? I know that it is a press fit, but something has to be held while the pallet is turned - and it is hard to get any tools on anything!
    Lift it off while holding the fly. Press it back on, but not overly tightly until you're sure where it needs to stay. Repeat. I'm guessing that your real issue is the warn run, and adjusting the position of the gathering pallet will also affect that.

Default Re: Gathering Pallet (RE: shutterbug)

I was able to adjust the position of the gathering pallet by adjusting the warning pin wheel. At first, I tried adjusting the strike with full revolutions - but with no luck. So, I then adjusted the wheel in half revolutions - more or less - and was able to find the sweet spot. Yes, the pallet pins had to be clear of the rack teeth for both the half hour and hour strike. Still testing the clock in general - it is giving me a workout!

Good to hear! Please post the end results of your experiments here