Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 148 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

Default Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

Can we do it this way ? Mike
    Former New Clock Acquisitions Moderator AKA Mike 306p/Ansoniaman

Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

Default Post Your Gustav Becker clocks here (RE: Mike306p/Ansoniaman)

Here is a 2 weight Gustav Becker regulator clock,circa 1880. Mike

Former New Clock Acquisitions Moderator AKA Mike 306p/Ansoniaman

Gustav Becker box clock, Braunau factory, Serial No. 665,923. P-48, regular strike on three rods, Circa 1911.

GB box clock three rod gong:

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

GB (VFU) Free Swinger (Wag): Serial No. 1,834,447 Freiburg TM. P-42. Art nouveau, Circa early 1905.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFUFreeSwgr..jpg   Univgong..jpg  
    Last edited by Richard T.; 03-11-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: restore original photos

GB 1 wt, eight day. Dial Signed G.W. Russell,
    Philadelphia, Ser No. 82,212, Trademark is the first, top left, of John's TM posting. Circa 3rd quarter 1874

Richard T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GWRussell..jpg   GBGWRussell..jpg  
    Last edited by Richard T.; 03-11-2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: restore original photos

GB 2 WT: Serial No. 2,105,174, Freiburg, DRP 171659. Arts & crafts style C. early 1910. No "P" number.

GB (Universal) gong:

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

GB 2 WT Braunau factory Serial No. 455422 Circa 1905. (Thanks John!).

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

GB 2 WT Braunau factory, Serial No. 66287, Circa 1891. This is a marriage with a rod gong (patented 1899). The coil gong has been removed from the movement and the case could be as late as 1920s. (REF: John Hubby).

Richard T.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Gustav Becker Box Regulator:

http://www.angelfire.com/me5/clockman/gb.html

Sorry, I can't post the photos directly, since it's on Angelfire.

This clock is a spring wound 8 daywith countwheel movement, 1/2 hr strike on "Gloria" gong. Stamped with plain GB and anchor logo (Freiburg 1910-1933).

Hope I'm not interrupting.
    Have had several Gustav Becker over the years, this has always been my favorite.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Here is the only one I have had and kept.

I guess I messed the picture up using flickr.....Here is the one I meant to post...The only GB that I have kept.
    I am adding the serial number after John's post. 79040. The logo is the first one on John's list. Must be 1870's.

Inbeat, you also have a GB anniversary clock on your Flickr page. This thread if for ANY GB clocks...

I have a dual chime mantle I want to post, but it's in pieces at the moment.

Ouch...you are correct sir....
    Since I am mostly into wooden clocks and Seth Thomas clocks, I did not even think of the Becker disc pendulum clock...I know many people collect these things but I got it recently and don't think much of it so I forgot....Also...I don't consider it one of the "keepers" that I have...just one whose stay is "iffy"....
    Serial number is 2450341 but mark is not recessed and appears to be the one on John's sheet as dated 1894-1903..Clock is on a shelf that has another shelf above it so I have not taken the other clocks off and taken off the dome and photographed the back.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

If you folks will post serial numbers AND which logo (Freiburg or Braunau) is on the clocks I'll provide accurate dating. You can edit the posts already made to include that info. The GB logos previously posted here have been replaced with an updated set, shown here with approximate dates:

I have corrected the Freiburg anchor logo for the period 1910 - 1940 as mentioned earlier. More importantly, I've gone back to the source for several of the logos, listed below, which are NOT the same as previously posted. When I first did this series about 18 months ago I had serious cataracts and now realize I wasn't seeing all the detail. What is now on the above post were taken directly from actual clocks and turned into graphics.

1) Freiburg 1852 - 1875: Significant changes . . anchor shape, crossbar now behind center post, crown has more detail, much smaller cross.

2) Freiburg 1894 - 1903: More significant changes. Basic shape is same as the later (1925-1933) anchor and the Braunau Silesia (1910 - 1926) anchor. However, crown is different from both the earlier version and the later one, being smaller than the latter. It also has what appears to be a clock dial in the center of the crown. I've looked at seven examples I have in my file and this appears to be what is there.

3) Freiburg 1910 - 1940: Minor changes, crown is more detailed than before. Dates now shown correctly.

4) Freiburg 1925 - 1933: NEW addition, this is the one Sooth posted. I've checked my files and found seventeen examples, all on either wall clocks or westminster chime clocks, mostly the latter. I agree there appears to be a "C" in the center of the crown, but have no idea what it may stand for.

5) Braunau 1910 - 1926: After looking at several of these, the conclusion is that it is exactly the same as the one Sooth posted (NEW Freiburg logo above), but with the word "SILESIA" underneath. What I think may have happened is that when Junghans took over we know they did not keep the Braunau operation. However, it is evident they took the logo over to Freiburg, and the timing appears to coincide within the dates known that the deal was being put together.

I think the only clocks posted so far that may be affected by this is those by srwilson. What I had previously for the 1894 - 1903 logo was unfortunately incorrect. I certainly apologize for any inconvenience, now that my cataracts are gone I "hope" not to make similar goofs in the future.

Thanks to all for helping nail down even better when these clocks were made!

John Hubby