Month's Goal: $300, Received: $390.00 - (130%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 1 of 155 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

Default Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here

Can we do it this way ? Mike
    Former New Clock Acquisitions Moderator AKA Mike 306p/Ansoniaman

Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

Default Post Your Gustav Becker clocks here (RE: Mike306p/Ansoniaman)

Here is a 2 weight Gustav Becker regulator clock,circa 1880. Mike

Former New Clock Acquisitions Moderator AKA Mike 306p/Ansoniaman

Gustav Becker box clock, Braunau factory, Serial No. 665,923. P-48, regular strike on three rods, Circa 1911.

GB box clock three rod gong:

Richard T.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 11-02-2014 at 12:44 AM.
    Best,
    Richard T.

GB (VFU) Free Swinger (Wag): Serial No. 1,834,447 Freiburg TM. P-42. Art nouveau, Circa early 1905.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFUFreeSwgr..jpg   Univgong..jpg  
    Last edited by Richard T.; 03-11-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: restore original photos

GB 1 wt, eight day. Dial Signed G.W. Russell,
    Philadelphia, Ser No. 82,212, Trademark is the first, top left, of John's TM posting. Circa 3rd quarter 1874

Richard T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GWRussell..jpg   GBGWRussell..jpg  
    Last edited by Richard T.; 03-11-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: restore original photos

GB 2 WT: Serial No. 2,105,174, Freiburg, DRP 171659. Arts & crafts style C. early 1910. No "P" number.

GB (Universal) gong:

Richard T.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 11-02-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    Best,
    Richard T.

GB 2 WT Braunau factory Serial No. 455422 Circa 1905. (Thanks John!).

Richard T.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 11-02-2014 at 12:46 AM.
    Best,
    Richard T.

GB 2 WT Braunau factory, Serial No. 66287, Circa 1891. This is a marriage with a rod gong (patented 1899). The coil gong has been removed from the movement and the case could be as late as 1920s. (REF: John Hubby).

Richard T.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 11-02-2014 at 12:47 AM.
    Best,
    Richard T.

Gustav Becker Box Regulator:

http://www.angelfire.com/me5/clockman/gb.html

Sorry, I can't post the photos directly, since it's on Angelfire.

This clock is a spring wound 8 daywith countwheel movement, 1/2 hr strike on "Gloria" gong. Stamped with plain GB and anchor logo (Freiburg 1910-1933).

I guess I messed the picture up using flickr.....Here is the one I meant to post...The only GB that I have kept.
    I am adding the serial number after John's post. 79040. The logo is the first one on John's list. Must be 1870's.

Inbeat, you also have a GB anniversary clock on your Flickr page. This thread if for ANY GB clocks...

I have a dual chime mantle I want to post, but it's in pieces at the moment.

Ouch...you are correct sir....
    Since I am mostly into wooden clocks and Seth Thomas clocks, I did not even think of the Becker disc pendulum clock...I know many people collect these things but I got it recently and don't think much of it so I forgot....Also...I don't consider it one of the "keepers" that I have...just one whose stay is "iffy"....
    Serial number is 2450341 but mark is not recessed and appears to be the one on John's sheet as dated 1894-1903..Clock is on a shelf that has another shelf above it so I have not taken the other clocks off and taken off the dome and photographed the back.

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

UPDATED NOV. 25, 2014

If you folks will post serial numbers AND which logo (Freiburg or Braunau) is on the clocks I'll provide accurate dating. You can edit the posts already made to include that info. The GB logos previously posted here have been replaced with an updated set, shown here with revised approximate dates as well as double the number of logos:

LOGOS FOR FREIBURG, SILESIA FACTORY ©1995-2014 J. S. HUBBY. COPY FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1411 Freiburg Logos.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	482.1 KB 
ID:	241811

Additional information and comments for each logo shown, starting upper left and progressing by rows. PLEASE NOTE the overlaps of various logos within given timelines, in some instances several logos were in active use at the same time:

1852 - 1877: GB anchor logo by itself. Documented to have been used within these years, possibly earlier but not later.

1869 - 1877: Same GB anchor logo but includes "GUSTAV BECKER FREIBURG i/S". Predominant logo in these years.

1875 - 1896: Medaille d'Or awarded August 1875, circular GB Freiburg logo introduced same time. Used with Medaille to the left and GB logo to the right from time of introduction to 1896, this was the predominant logo set in this time period.

1883 - 1885: The winged hourglass on world logo was used for a short period as noted.

1877 - 1925: The GB circular logo was moved to the left and Medaille d'Or to the right on some clocks made from 1877. The reverse positions were predominant until 1896 at which time this logo set became predominant until 1925. About mid-year 1925, this logo set was discontinued.

1877 - 1894: A stylized version of the earlier GB anchor logo was introduced in 1877 and used to 1894, found solely on spring driven clocks. Used mainly for the back cover of GB alarm clocks and other novelty clocks.

1887 - 1900: The GB circular Freiburg logo was used by itself primarily on spring driven wall clock movements, perhaps these were not considered of high enough quality to merit the application of the Medaille d'Or.

1894 - 1900: A fancier version of the GB anchor logo having a clock dial in the center of the crown was used on better quality clocks in this period.

1898 - 1899: The "double lion" GB logo was used for about two years. This logo is actually a near-copy of an A. Willmann & Co logo that was used from 1895 - 1899.

1900 - 1906: Another version of the GB anchor logo was introduced in 1900 and only used a short time. Note the clock dial is no longer there, nor any other mark in the center of the This one is found mainly on spring-driven wall clocks that have a strike control countwheel mounted on the back plate.

1908 - 1912: A block letter "GUSTAV GB BECKER" logo in oval form. This logo has been found on both "Amerikaner" and solid plate design movements within this period.

1906 - 1925: Another and fancier GB anchor logo with a wide crown and what appears to be a crescent moon in the center that was used only for "Amerikaner" design movements. The word SILESIA is stamped below the logo, indicating this movement has solid cut pinions and other features that were 'superior' to the competition.

1914 - 1934: The same fancy GB anchor logo as for the previously described version but without the SILESIA stamp. This version was introduced in 1914 when GB finally started making their "Amerikaner" movements with lantern pinions. This logo was used exclusively for Amerikaner movements to around 1922 when it was also used on some wall clock and grandfather clock movements. It was last used for movements made in the Freiburg, Silesia factory up through 1932 with that factory was closed, but has been found in dated clocks as late as 1934 that were assembled by Junghans, using "leftover" Freiburg movements.

1922 - 1932: This simpler version GB anchor logo was first used on GB 400-Day clocks and continued to the end of 1932 when Freiburg production was shut down. It was also used for Westminster chime movements made from 1925 to 1932, some wall clocks with solid plate movements, and grandfather clocks in that same period.

1918 - 1940: The block letter "GUSTAV BECKER GERMANY" logo was used on various clocks made with GB design movements until the Freiburg factory closed at the end of 1932 and then on Junghans or HAC movements sold as Gustav Becker clocks from 1933 to 1940.

1933 - 1940: This very simple and smallest of all GB anchor logos was used on Junghans and HAC movements sold as Gustav Becker clocks from 1933 to 1940

NOTE FOR USERS: These illustrations represent all known GB logos used on movements and for the indicated dates. If others are found they will be added in due course. The dates shown are subject to change as more data is compiled

LOGOS FOR BRAUNAU, BOHEMIA FACTORY ©1995-2014 J. S. HUBBY. COPY FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1411 Braunau Logos.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	241812

1902 - 19??: This circular GB Braunau logo has only been found on two clocks to date, both made in 1902 based on their serial numbers. Additional dates will be added if and when documented.

1888 - 1926: The GB Braunau factory had its own unique set of serial numbers and also some of their own logos, denoted by the addition of "Braunau i. Boehm" around the circle below the GB anchor and Freiburg i. Sch. stamp. This logo set with the GB circular Braunau logo and the Medaille d'Or stamp was used for the entire production period that factory was producing GB clocks.

1913, 1920 - 25: The identical GB fancy anchor with SILESIA stamp logo as described for Freiburg "Amerikaner" clocks was also used for "Amerikaner" clocks finished in the GB Braunau, Bohemia factory. Evidently the movements were made in Frieburg and stamped with the logo but finished and stamped with a Braunau serial number at that factory. They have been documented to have been made in 1913, then from 1920 to 1925. Also, these movements were a higher quality than the Freiburg version, having Graham deadbeat escapement as well as solid cut pinions and solid plates front and back.

1918 - 1926: The "MADE IN TSCHECHOSLOVAKIA" stamp was placed on most movements made or finished in Braunau starting just after the WWI armistice in November 1918 and continued in use until GB clock production ceased in 1926. NOTE that present evidence indicates the Braunau factory continued to assemble GB clocks using Freiburg movements from 1926 and continuing to 1932 but did not manufacture any clocks. After 1932 that factory was then owned by Junghans and converted to assembly of Junghans clocks until the beginning of WWII.

Thanks to all for helping nail down even better when these clocks were made!

John Hubby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1411 Freiburg Logos.jpg   0804 Braunau Logos.jpg  
    Last edited by John Hubby; 11-27-2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Major Update of Logo Information 141125

Pastimes:

I have updated my description. I also wanted to know if you remember the dual chime mantle clock I posted not long ago.

I had another look at the movement the other day, and noticed two things:

1: the "drilled-off" logo actually still shows GB and part of the anchor, since these were deeply stamped into the plate.

2: The escapement is extremely unusual. I will eventually post more photos, but it looks like it could possibly be a "tic-tac" escapement? No, I just checked a site that has animated escapements, and I think it's a Brocot. I had never seen one before. The escape wheel is tiny. Smaller than a dime.

Actually, I was very curious about the exact logo of my wall clock, so I took it down. I've wanted to get a better photo for ages. As it turns out, the logo is "none of the above".

It's basically the same as the Silesia one (crown is very big/round with a 'c' in it, and anchor tips are long and pointy), but it doesn't say Silesia.

I will try to upload a photo.... soon.

EDIT: New photo added here:
    http://www.angelfire.com/me5/clockman/gb.html