Goal: $300, Received: $360.00 (120%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 2 of 180 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Default Post Your Gustav Becker clocks here (By: Mike306p/Ansoniaman)

John,

I added the numbers for each of my two GBs...and described the logos....
    Thanks...

westminster chiming gustav becker clock in a cathedral case.

Whittington/Westminster chiming gustav becker clock you gottas love the barley twist corners :biggrin:.

Both made between 1894 and 1903

Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

OK, here's a start on the dating trail starting with the first clock posted:

Mike, Altdeutsch porthole style. I'm guessing this one is from Braunau, not Freiburg, so it will be about 20 years later than you posted. Logo ID and serial number will tell the tale.

Richard T, Architectural case 2-Chime Braunau S/N 455422. Made Late 1905 (this date is based on a recent update of all my Braunau info).

Richard T, Box clock marriage, mvmt Braunau S/N 66287. Made 1891. Rod gong introduction date stated is correct, 1898. Anyone says a rod gong clock was made earlier than this has the wrong info.

Sooth, Box regulator with fancy crown GB Anchor logo. I don't have that logo recorded so it's a new addition to my logo file. Don't know the significance of the "C" in the crown. My judgement is the clock was made early 1920's in the Freiburg factory. That date is based on the "M" stamped on the right side of the back plate.

Steve S, interesting Altdeutsche Wag, do you have the logo and S/N info?

Inbeat, Vienna style regulator 2-Chime, Freiburg Anchor logo, S/N 79040. Made 1874. Very nice piece!

Inbeat, 400-Day clock No. 8 upper bracket, disc pendulum 23D, back plate 1206B. S/N 2450341. Made early 1925. The GB anchor logo is a minor variation of the one I show 1910-1933 (as noted should be 1910-1940).

Sooth, dual chime mantel clock. Post photo of the anchor, a Brocot (as Scottie says) has half-round pallets. Not seen a GB with this type escapement.

srwilson, two westminsters. What are the serial numbers and logos? Also, the pendulum length numbers (e.g. P14 or P18)? First guess is that both clocks are 10-15 years later than you posted based on about 50 of these I have in my database.

Thanks to all for the info. The value of this exercise, among others, is that new info is "always" found if one looks deep enough. Sooth's GB anchor logo, to wit.

John Hubby

As requested, here is the Gustav Becker Brocot.

I'm told this is not technically a true brocot, because it doesn't have the regulation on it (can usually be adjusted through the dial). I'm not sure what the general opinion is on this, however.

The escape wheel is tiny. It's probably only about 1/2 inch wide.

Please note: The clock has not been cleaned, adjusted, or repaired yet. So you can clearly see a bunch of crud on it. My appologies.

These photos afre from this clock:

Hi all,

I have a very large napoleon hat/tambour GB westminster mantle clock. It is approximately 12 inches high and 24 inches wide. Interestingly, it has a similar logo to the one Sooth has posted, with P14 directly under the logo and O stamped on the right side of the movement. It has a low serial number 3083. The winding holes are set close together like Sooth's. Over the weekend I will attempt to take some pictures, with some closeups of the movement. I dont know at this stage if the escapement is similar to the one Sooth has.

Lofty

Christopher Isaac

You guys put me to shame! Here's my budget 1921 box, strikes on a gloria going, doesn't even have rods! Crys*

Sooth: Would like to clarify a couple of points regarding your dual chime clock, please confirm.

* The "Brocot" escapement is from this clock
    * This is the same clock that had the two GB logos drilled off, no other GB logo is present.
    * The serial number is 4534.
    * There is an "O" stamped at the right side of the back plate.
    * The pendulum number is P14 (not seen in photo)

I await your response, but I think now I know why the logos were drilled off.
    ----------------------------------------------

Lofty: Would like to see photos especially of the logo, but based on the info you have supplied your clock was made in late 1929. This was after Junghans took over the VFU (Gustav Becker) operations in early 1926. They started a new serial numbering system at that time, from the number 1, but evidently applied it only to the W'minster chime mantel clocks and 400-Day clocks.

John Hubby
    Last edited by John Hubby; 11-02-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Pastimes - neither has a serial number but they both have the exact logo for 1894 - 1903 ive compared the logos with other similar ones for later dates but they are the exact same logo as the 1894 to 1903. Also I asked 3 other clock dealers what they thought they were they checked their books and came to the same conclusion from the matching logo.
    So as far as I am concerned that is when they were made unless someone can seriously prove me wrong.

srwilson, I am quite surprised there is no serial number on either clock. Up to today, all the GB westminster chime clocks I have documented (more than 100) have serial numbers, normally at the bottom of the back plate just behind the pendulum bob, or sometimes at the same position on the front plate of the clock (like Sooth's clock photo above).

Could you post a clear photo of the logo? Also of the full back plates with the pendulum removed if you could, that might provide more clues. For example, I've not yet documented any GB westminster without the pendulum mark, either P14 or P18.

One last question, is the word "Foreign" or "Foreign Made" on the dial just outside the minute ring at 6:00?

John Hubby
    PS: I've enjoyed the chime recordings you have made!

Originally posted by pastimes:
    srwilson, I am quite surprised there is no serial number on either clock. Up to today, all the GB westminster chime clocks I have documented (more than 100) have serial numbers, normally at the bottom of the back plate just behind the pendulum bob, or sometimes at the same position on the front plate of the clock (like Sooth's clock photo above).

Could you post a clear photo of the logo? Also of the full back plates with the pendulum removed if you could, that might provide more clues. For example, I've not yet documented any GB westminster without the pendulum mark, either P14 or P18.

One last question, is the word "Foreign" or "Foreign Made" on the dial just outside the minute ring at 6:00?

John Hubby
    PS: I've enjoyed the chime recordings you have made!

Hi John
    Theres no foreign thing below the 6 0 clock either
    but that 1984 - 1903 logo is on both clocks back plates and on both dials.
    The clocks are up on high shelves I hate disturbing them I am pretty sure 85% the big one is a pendulum 14. Ill take a photo when I have em down again to dust next week. please understand.

EDIT - I checked the big one cathedral case one the pendulum IS a 14 and has 274 written at the bottom back and absolutly 1000000000000000000000000% has the 1894 - 1903 logo. The other one I cannot get up to tonight that will have to wait.
    But I know it has the 1894 - 1903 logo.

ps on a side note which clock recording you like the most? heh I had to ask.

Hi Pastimes, I had not gotten your message, I just saw it now:

>> The "Brocot" escapement is from this clock
    Yes.

>> This is the same clock that had the two GB logos drilled off, no other GB logo is present.
    There is just one logo, and yes. There is no other GB logo anywhere (dial is plain).

>> The serial number is 4534.
    Yes, and it's stamped in 3 places (back plate, front plate at the bottom, and again on the front plate behind the snail).

>> There is an "O" stamped at the right side of the back plate.
    Yes.

>> The pendulum number is P14 (not seen in photo)
    No. There's no other markings on the movement. I am absolutely sure, because I just looked at it now (it's not in the case at the moment).

As for my wall clock, I think 1910-1920 is very close. The movement is marked M as you saw, and P42. Not the best GB I've seen. I think the case is all pine, and it's been stained very dark.

I've just posted a major update of the logos I had shown on the first page. There are several changes, including the addition of the logo Sooth posted earlier. Explanations about what changes were made are in the edited text of that message.

Thanks to all for making me go back and check the source info!!

John Hubby

Sooth, thanks for the confirmations. I was thinking the movement had two logos including the Medaille d'Or, but looks like it had only the GB anchor. In my judgement that would have been the "NEW" one now in my logo layout, same as the one you posted earlier. I still don't have any reasonable explanation why the logo was "erased".

I have only documented a couple dual chime GB's and I don't know whether the others had the "P" info, because I just couldn't see it in the photos. In any event, your clock was made in early 1932.

John Hubby

Robert T, thanks for updating with serial numbers etc. Great clocks!! Here's what I have now, including a couple of questions:

1) Box style, Braunau serial number 665,923: Made late 1911. Two questions: Is there a "P" number, and is the gong strike a bim-bam type?

2) VFU Wag, Freiburg serial number 1,834,447: Made early 1905, very nice Art Nouveau example and fits the period.

3) Russell time only weight model, Freiburg serial number 82,212: Made 3rd quarter 1874. The movement appears to be 8-day, is that correct?

4) Tall clock, Freiburg serial number 2,105,174: Made early 1910, nice example of Arts & Crafts style that was popular at that time. Is there a "P" number? If Duck is watching, he should be able to provide info about the patent DRP 171659.

John Hubby

On a added note I checked both beckers today and they both have the 1894 - 1903 logo and have that little clock dial in the middle of them.

I don't think we need to dispute their age anymore now .