Goal: $300, Received: $305.00 (102%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 14,000 other NAWCC members for only $80 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

Page 179 of 180 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180 LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 2686
    Principal Administrator John Hubby's Avatar

Default Re: Gb silesia p18 h s (By: Penduleklok)

Quote Originally Posted by Penduleklok View Post
    Dear all,

My GB clock comes from grandma and I am wondering if the age can be narrowed down.
    Grandparents married in 1921 and the clock could have been a gift for that occasion?
    I can send pictures on request.

Regards, Klaas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Penduleklok View Post
    Thanks JTD!
    Uploading went fine.
    Looking forward to hints anyone may have.
    Klaas
    Klaas, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board! Thanks for posting your inquiry and providing photos of your Gustav Becker clock. In particular it helps a lot that you know when your grandparents were married and that the clock may have been a gift about that time.

In looking at the photos and also checking the catalogs we have available, this is an interesting clock. Here are some observations:

>> The "SILESIA" stamp underneath the GB anchor logo on the movement shows the clock could not have been made after May 1925, when that stamp was discontinued.

>> The letter "H" stamped on the right side of the movement tells us the movement has lantern pinions ("H" for Hohltreiben or Lantern pinions). This variant of the SILESIA movements (normally they had solid cut pinions) has not been documented earlier than late 1923 until now.

>> The case is Model No. 386 as illustrated in the 1912 GB sale catalog, as seen here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Model 386 Lancet 3-Glass Bkt.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	331390 Notice that this illustration shows the case being made of polished mahogany, where your case is made of oak. The oak would indicate a later date than 1912, and favor being made in the 1920s. This model isn't found in the 1924 GB catalog, possibly discontinued before that catalog was printed. However, we do know that a majority of case designs were used for some years and not always shown in every catalog.

>> The "P18" pendulum length stamp being in a "drilled out" circle is not at all unusual, although some of you may not have seen this before. This was not an error but done intentionally at the factory. The pendulum length for GB "Amerikaner" movements can be easily changed by the replacement of the anchor, the escape wheel, and the wheel between the escape and center wheels. No other mechanical changes are needed. This applies for pendulums as short as P12 to as long as P65. The new pendulum length will either be overstamped or as in this clock the previous length milled out and the correct one stamped.

Klaas, if there is any way to get confirmation exactly when your grandparents acquired this clock that would be wonderful information. My present judgement is that the clock was actually made around late 1923 based on other dated examples of this movement configuration.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 02-03-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Default Re: Post Your Gustav Becker clocks here (By: John Hubby)

Quote Originally Posted by John Hubby View Post
    Hello Walesey, that's strange as it is showing in my view of the thread including the quote copy you made? I'll need to look into this if there are any others who can't see it.

EDIT MESSAGE:
    Hello Walesey and all, I found the problem, has to do with the large size photo issues we have been having with the MB. The problem is that the "WYSIWYG" editor option is broken and will not be able to fix that until we do a complete site upgrade which is being tested off-line now.

To fix this I changed my message writing prerences to "Standard Editor" and that took care of the failure to post and also didn't post an oversize image. The photo has been reinserted and all should be able to see it and click on it for a larger view. For the time being I recommend that anyone using the "WYSIWYG" message writing configuration change it to "Standard Editor".

Click on the "Your Settings" link at the top right corner of the screen, then click on "General Settings" in the "My Account" box in the menu at the left of the screen that comes up. You can then scroll down to "Miscellaneous Settings" "Message Editor Interface", click on "Standard Editor" and on "Save" at the bottom of the page.

Voila! No more photo problems!
    Thanks John. Much appreciated!
    Walesey

Default Re: Gb silesia p18 h s (By: John Hubby)

John,
    Thanks for your interesting analyses of my clock's characteristics.

If I ever get additional confirmation I will certainly post it; to date this is my best guess thusfar.

Particularly I appreciate the catalogue 1912 showing it as model 386: the model therefor existed in 1921.
    However, the H suggests 1923 or later, making my best guess of wedding present 1921 unlikely....
    Unless the initial was "reconditioned" after warranty complaints (replacing the complete mechanism for a new one)??

I would like to post Concordia 2 weight clock in this thread. When I bought this clock the case was painted in black. I removed black color and found that case is made from walnut but some parts were already replaced. It would be very interesting to get more information about the clock and ideas about the case.

Best regards
    Gintaras
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170219_174828 - Copy.jpg   20170219_174818.jpg   20170215_214425.jpg   20170215_214341.jpg   20170215_214353.jpg  

20170117_174826.jpg   20170122_191703.jpg  

Default Re: Gb silesia p18 h s (By: gintarasb64)

Quote Originally Posted by gintarasb64 View Post
    I would like to post Concordia 2 weight clock in this thread. When I bought this clock the case was painted in black. I removed black color and found that case is made from walnut but some parts were already replaced. It would be very interesting to get more information about the clock and ideas about the case.

Best regards
    Gintaras
    Gintaras, thanks for posting your Concordia clock. We don't have a specific thread for this maker since very few of their clocks seem to be available. I have been collecting data for almost 10 years and now have only 15 clocks in my database including yours. The serial number indicates your clock was made about 1891. It will be appreciated if you could post a photo of the complete back of the movement so we can see the crutch, crutch bridge, and other details. Also, a photo of the movement mounting bracket will be appreciated.

Regarding your case, it is missing the pediment and bottom center finial. You mention some of the wood has been replaced, that must be why it was painted black. It is possible to find matching walnut but then each part has to be hand made to fit. Unfortunately I don't have photos of this style case in my archives, I would suggest searching through this thread to find a GB clock with a similar case design that has its pediment and use that as a pattern.

John,
    Some updates on my clock:

I had my clock overhauled by a local clockmaker: taken apart, cleaned, some new bushings and now it happily ticks the time away in my living!

Regarding date of origin: I have been researching how to clarify your best guess of past 1923....
    1. Whatever it may indicate: the door of the casing holds 2 separate impressed numbers close to eachother: a 1 and a 7. Combined they could be interpreted ass casing bithyear 1917
    2. My grandmother was widowed twice and had 3 husbands.
    - my grandfather married her in 1921,
    - her second husband married her as his second wife and was married before in 1925,
    - her third husband married her as his second wife and was married before in 1923.
    My best conclusion therefor: the clock stems from 1924 and was a weddingpresent in 1925; at the occasion of the first marriage of my grandma's second husband. Most likely, when he remarried my grandma he brought in his clock.

Default Re: Gb silesia p18 h s (By: John Hubby)

Thank you John for detail information as always. Attached are additional photo of the clock. Best regards

Gintaras
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170301_174536.jpg   20170301_174419.jpg   20170301_174434.jpg   20170301_180503.jpg   20170301_180515.jpg  

20170301_180525.jpg  

Default Re: Gb silesia p18 h s

Quote Originally Posted by John Hubby View Post
    I have been collecting data for almost 10 years and now have only 15 clocks in my database including yours. The serial number indicates your clock was made about 1891. It will be appreciated if you could post a photo of the complete back of the movement so we can see the crutch, crutch bridge, and other details. Also, a photo of the movement mounting bracket will be appreciated.
    Recently there's a flood of mainly unsigned Concordia clocks on KMZiZ forum.

14826 (signed)
    2908(3?) (signed)
    5(3?)294
    9(?)270
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-59360-0-09658000-1487114941.jpg   post-59360-0-20085400-1487114929.jpg   post-59360-0-72276100-1487114919.jpg  
    Last edited by John Hubby; 03-08-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Removed oversize photos
    Regards
    Piotr

Default Re: Gb silesia p18 h s

Another strange GB, presented on KMZiZ Forum. Serial number, 3886 repeated on both plates. Signatures from Freiburg in the arrangement used until 1896. Missing numerals or early product for the Braunau factory?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-96411-0-36937800-1488832893.jpg   post-96411-0-58355500-1488832879.jpg  
    Last edited by John Hubby; 03-08-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Removed oversize photos
    Regards
    Piotr

Default Re: Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here (By: tarant)

Greetings, guys!

I was fortunate enough to figure out that old clock on the wall, that nobody cared about, turned out to be Gustav Becker from 1872., serial number 59798

And it's working like a charm !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170305_154618.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	335804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	333.6 KB 
ID:	335805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170308_191137.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	335806

Now I am even considering selling it...

Default Re: Post Your Gustav Becker Clocks Here (By: misha1973)

Tis is not Becker, but Gebruder Resch from Ebensee. Clock was made about the year 1888. Spring driven clocks from this manufactory are not common. Spiral gong is broken.
    Regards
    Piotr

Default Re: Gb silesia p18 h s (By: tarant)

Quote Originally Posted by tarant View Post
    Another strange GB, presented on KMZiZ Forum. Serial number, 3886 repeated on both plates. Signatures from Freiburg in the arrangement used until 1896. Missing numerals or early product for the Braunau factory?
    This one is strange indeed. Here are some observations:

1) This is a movement with external countwheel on the back plate, the earliest documented for GB was made in August, 1899, shortly after the merger. The GB movements made at that time are quite different compared to this one, it appears to me the GB version was a new design.

2) Two other Freiburg companies made/sold external countwheel movements, being Willmann and Endler. The movements of these companies are both different from each other as well as being different from either the "new" GB or this movement.

3) This movement has the reversed position of the GBF and Medaille d'Or stamps, which was last used by GB in July, 1896, and never appeared before on any external countwheel movement.

4) Could it be a low serial number for Braunau? That would have to be 1888, which would fit the reversed logos if the movement had been made in Freiburg. However, how is it possible as that was 11 years before the rear countwheel shows up in Freiburg?

So, we have quite a mystery here. This movement doesn't match any of the other GB or GB "child" company movements. Perhaps if someone can compare to some of the others who made this type of movement a match can be found.

Cool Becker 2 Wt Vienna

I picked up a project clock from a fellow chapter member this weekend and have a few questions and a comment.

* Was this made in Silesia?

* After trying to figure out the logo/serial number thing, is 1895-1896 a reasonable guess?

* The crown/topper is obviously aftermarket. Can someone share pictures of what it should look like?

This is the first time I've run across cat gut. It's gotta go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1IMG_8963.jpg   2IMG_8964.jpg   3IMG_8965.jpg   4IMG_8980.jpg   5IMG_8979.jpg  

6IMG_8973.jpg   IMG_8966.jpg   IMG_8968.jpg   IMG_8969.jpg  
    Last edited by John Hubby; 03-20-2017 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Removed oversize photos

Default Re: Becker 2 Wt Vienna

WRabbit, thanks for posting your inquiry and the photos of your new GB project. I'll provide my comments after each item.

Quote Originally Posted by WRabbit View Post
    I picked up a project clock from a fellow chapter member this weekend and have a few questions and a comment.

* Was this made in Silesia?
    Yes, actually in the GB factory in Freiburg, Silesia. The circular GB logo to the right of the two stamps on the back plate says "Freiburg in Schl.", where "Schl." is the abbreviation for Schlesien or Silesia in German.

* After trying to figure out the logo/serial number thing, is 1895-1896 a reasonable guess?
    Those dates are a bit later than the clock was made. Based on the serial number 1147234 the movement was completed in October-November 1894.

* The crown/topper is obviously aftermarket. Can someone share pictures of what it should look like?
    The pediment (also called crown, topper, headpiece, etc.) does look to be a replacement. The originals were a bit more elaborate than that one, here are a couple of photos of clocks made just before and after yours:

Attachment 337143 Attachment 337144

Actually there was a huge variety of designs available and in most cases multiple choices to fit the same basic case. If you will search through this thread look for clocks with serial numbers not to far away from yours to see what other variety you can find.

This is the first time I've run across cat gut. It's gotta go.
    You might rethink changing from gut to the "other" materials. I very much prefer gut to cable or braided nylon or any of the modern "replacements", if for no other reason than authenticity and appearance. If you buy synthetic gut there is little or no chance you will ever have a failure as it is rated well in excess of the load from the weights. My preference is the synthetic offered by Meadows & Passmore in the UK, a bit more expensive than buying in the U.S. but excellent quality and prompt service. I have been using this for more than 35 years with no problems of any kind.

I notice that the minute hand is not original to the clock. It would most likely have had a double ended version of the hour hand as seen in this photo:

Attachment 337145
    This style of hands was used for 80-90% of the weight driven clocks made within a plus/minus 3 year period from your clock. You should check internet sources, these can be found either sold separately or with a parts movement.

Good luck with your project, keep us posted with your progress.
    Last edited by John Hubby; 03-21-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Cool Re: Becker 2 Wt Vienna (By: John Hubby)

John,

Thanks for the reply to my questions and the comment on the mismatched hands. I didn't notice the hands until you pointed it out. I'm sure a replacement set will be a fairly easy find.

For some reason the links you provided don't work for me. Can you fix them?

Here's a few more pictures, one showing the snail mounted to the hour pipe and another showing the verge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9020.jpg   IMG_9022.jpg