Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3745 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default clock keeps stopping

Over the last year or so I have collected, cleaned and repaired pocket watches. I have an old key wind clock that strikes on the half and hour. I had it cleaned several years ago and over the last few months it stopped every 2nd or 3rd day. It usually would run for at least a week. I assumed it needed cleaning so I cleaned it in an amonia and water solution, dried it and oiled it with clock oil. After winding it will only run for a day or so. I tried adjusting the hanging position and now have it on my bench. I would appreciate any advice anyone would give me. Thank you. Bob Asbra

Default clock keeps stopping (RE: bob asbra)

Over the last year or so I have collected, cleaned and repaired pocket watches. I have an old key wind clock that strikes on the half and hour. I had it cleaned several years ago and over the last few months it stopped every 2nd or 3rd day. It usually would run for at least a week. I assumed it needed cleaning so I cleaned it in an amonia and water solution, dried it and oiled it with clock oil. After winding it will only run for a day or so. I tried adjusting the hanging position and now have it on my bench. I would appreciate any advice anyone would give me. Thank you. Bob Asbra

Blog Entries

Bob,

In my shop, the cleaning comes AFTER a whole lot of other work is done to the clock. Bearings, pivot work, properly removing, cleaning, lubricating the mainsprings and re-assembling them into the barrels, polishing pallet faces, checking escape wheel teeth, and any other repairs that need to be done. Did you skip over that other work? Obviously, if you got a good job of cleaning it, the problem lies elsewhere. I think you need to go back to square one and disassemble it, and through a process of elimination, fix any problems the clock might have.THEN clean it and re-assemble it.

Registered user.

Bob
    To add to Doug's advice, if it is a ppring-driven clock, the spring(s) could be 'tired'
    Mike - banned member of the throwaway society.

Bob, more times than not after I have overhauled a movement and it won't run, upon disassembly I find a bent pivot. It's so easy to do especially if you hurry.
    Good Luck,
    Bob Brown

Registered user.

One other thing I had recently was the springs needing a good cleaning. To do this you must remove and unwind them for cleaning and re-lubrication. I tried to skip that step as they "looked OK". Im glad it was on my own clock I learned this lesson.

Thanks all of you for your advice. I disassembled it again, took apart the mainsprings, cleaned and lubricated, reassembled and still stops. This is all fairly new to me but I thing there are several worn out bushings. When I put pressure on some of the pivots it appears to want to start running. I am reading up on bushing replacement and have ordered tools and bushings from Otto Frei. I am used to watches where you just pop in a new jewell. Thanks again. Bob

Coupla suggestions from a duffer: You might try letting down the springs and remove the verge so you can free- run it very slowly, looking for wobbly wheels, runout, binding-any sort of irregularity or potential for stoppage. How long does it run? At all? Verge to escape wheel spacing optimum? Is it a striking clock? Is strike mechanism stopping it. Indication of that cause may be that it always stops about five min's before the hour or half hour. Does it do that? Then 2. With clock wound and in running condition - when clock stops, go from wheel to wheel beginning with escape wheel and turn wheel opposite it's direction of operation. Is there resistance to movement of the wheel? ( is there power to the wheel?) Those are just a couple of diagnostic "tools" I use. Duffer

Scottie-TX (Duffer), Thanks for your suggestion. I removed the verge and it winds down nicely, plenty of power. The escape wheel, one of the bushings is worn, when the clock is working the verge skips teeth ever so often. If I put a pin under the pivot it seems to tighten it up where it skips. The bushing hole is an oval. Does this sound like the culprit. I orderded broaches and an assortment of bushings and I have the Clock Repair Primer where it details installation. I would appreciate any other suggestions. Thank you kindly. Bob Asbra

No. No it doesn't necessarily mean that it won't run with that worn pivot. Skipping teeth means to me that probably the pallet-to-tooth spacing has not been optimized. The pallets are too far from the teeth so insufficient impulse is being imparted to pendulum to sustain operation. Move verge toward escape teeth until it's too close for teeth to escape pallets. Then slowly, carefully move verge away from teeth until it just runs. Then move the verge one RCH (red cat hair) further away and lock it down. Put in beat and try it now.

Scottie, I am working with the verge adjustment. Its stopped the slipping and I keep making minor adjustments. Thanks for your great advice. I would give anything to know just what you guys have forgotten. Bob Asbra