Month's Goal: $300, Received: $300.00 - (100%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1205 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Nancy123

Default Old Bulova Watch

I have a Bulova mans watch with a serial number on the back, 7345892. It is gold, with a rectulanger face and chain link band. It has a second hand above the 6. How do I find out more information about the watch? I am not interested in selling it as it was left to me by a loved one. I just want to learn more about it.

Nancy123

Default Old Bulova Watch (RE: Nancy123)

I have a Bulova mans watch with a serial number on the back, 7345892. It is gold, with a rectulanger face and chain link band. It has a second hand above the 6. How do I find out more information about the watch? I am not interested in selling it as it was left to me by a loved one. I just want to learn more about it.

Call your local library, ask if they have "The Complete Guide to Watches Book"
    Go to the library, the watches are arranged alphabetically, Pocket watches in front, wrist watches in back go to the bulova section and try to match your watch. It will most likely be there or at least something close.

Nancy123

Thanks Howard. I will try that. I will let you know what I find out.

Wayne D.

Hi Nancy, Bulova usually put a makers mark near the large winding wheel on the movement. If you can post a pic of the movement or tell us what the mark looks like we can tell you what year your Bulova movement was manufactured.

Nancy123

Hi Wayne, Thanks for your help. I opened up the watch. By the winding stem is 'jewels 17 seven teen' next to that around a small wheel right below the stem (if watch is on it's side) is 'unadjusted' then there are twotiny screws and the marking "swiss'. Below the big wheel is '47' on the right and to the left '8AH' in a rectangle. There are 4 little ruby looking dots and "BULOVA WATCH Co.' The Wheel that moves fast has a little ruby in the center above it that is securing a little hand. Where the little hand is pointing is stamped 'DXW'. In the inside of the back cover is BULOVA 14K rolled gold plate bezel stainless back NEW YORK and then around that stamp is a bunch of things etched into the metal. Looks like numbers and letters. I hope this is not too confusing for you. If you have not figured out I am just starting to collect watches and have not learned much yet! Thanks Nancy

Wayne D.

Hi Nancy, the 47 is the makers mark. Your watch was manufactured in 1947. Go to the top of this page under FIND and type in Dating a Bulova. Open the first post and look for Jerry Treiman's post and click on LINK. There you will find Bruce Shawkey's List of Bulova marks. Also read all those old posts, they are very interesting and informative. Take care and enjoy the wonderful world of vintage watches.

Nancy123

Thanks Wayne, You were very informative. I went back as you suggested and found the LINK to Bruce Shawkey's key to BULOVA dating. I also read all of the BULOVA dating postings. I have quit a bit to learn!! What are the Serial numbers on the back of the case for? Are they to reference the style of the casing?

Wayne D.

Hello Nancy, glad to be of help. From what I understand the serial numbers on a Bulova case were used by the case company just to keep track of them and have nothing to do with dating a Bulova watch.

Default Re: Old Bulova Watch (RE: Nancy123)

Can anyone help me find out more about this watch? My Dad told me he bought this after he got out of WWII but I don't have any more detail. There is a number on the case but from reading I understand that it might not mean much.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo[1].JPG   photo[2].JPG  

Default Re: Old Bulova Watch (RE: mj173)

Quote Originally Posted by mj173 View Post
    Can anyone help me find out more about this watch? My Dad told me he bought this after he got out of WWII but I don't have any more detail. There is a number on the case but from reading I understand that it might not mean much.

Thanks.
    Ummmm.... It has a curved, yellow-metal case. Oh, and a second hand at 6:00. If you want to know more than that, you will probably need to provide some better photos.