Month's Goal: $300, Received: $10.00 - (3%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2791 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Default cleaning gilt bronze

I am looking for the best/safest way to clean dirt and residue off a gilt bronze and marble clock without damaging the gilt finish. The gilt is not worn, just real dirty. Thanks
    Philip

Default cleaning gilt bronze (RE: LSU 74)

Alcohol and Q-tips usually work.
    Jeremy

Blog Entries

Default cleaning gilt bronze (RE: LSU 74)

I remove the parts and soak them in Simple Green, undiluted.

It leaves the metalwork bright satiny gold, with no gunk in the crevices.

clockdaddy

Default Re: cleaning gilt bronze (RE: LSU 74)

LSU 74
    One of the best cleaners I've found, for all types of surfaces, is Dow Bathroom cleaner (Remember the "Scrubbing Bubbles!")

I have used it on wood cases, marble, metal, and plastic. It does an excellent job of cleaning old grime off any surface. It doesn't hurt the finishes.

Kevin S

I have always had the best results using ammonia mixed 50/50 with water.

I know it sounds strange, but EZ Off oven cleaner spray works great - it's fast and gives great results. Just rinse it off after letting it sit on the piece for a few minutes

while it sounds strange, EZ Off oven spray cleaner works great - just spray, let it sit for a few minutes and then rinse off.
    Jim

Much gilt bronze (bronze d'or) has, in the past, been ruined by overaggressiive cleaning or cleaning materials. If your gilding is antique (fire gilt) it can never be replaced, because this method of gilding is so dangerous and unhealthy. It looks nothing like electroplating; the connoisseur will know instantly.
    What makes it look antique is the contrast given to the form by minute amounts of dirt in the crevices. Removing this dirt completely will make your bronze d'or a dead ringer for a reproduction. So, the last thing you want to do is immerse it in some cleaner which will remove all traces of grunge.
    Pure gold is a very soft metal, and is easily abraded from the surface of gilding by rough cleaning. Bronze and copper are attacked by many chemicals, and any pinholes or thin spots in the gilding (and there are some, inevitably) will allow a corrosive cleaner to undermine the gold.
    Easy-Off oven cleaner is lye. This is not a good thing to put on copper alloys. If the alcohol swab is ineffective, you might try a SOFT brush with soap & water. Avoid all polishes and abrasives, acids and alkalies, and strong salts (such as sodium hypochlorite or sodium bisulfite) or quick-fix cleaners.