Month's Goal: $300, Received: $315.00 - (105%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 3074 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    spd

Default More Info on "Railroad" Pocket Watch (RE: spd)

My father-in-law gave a "railroad" pocket watch to my husband before he past away over 20 years ago. We do not know anything about it. My understanding from the brief research I did is that this is probably not a genuine railroad watch. We would like to know more about it or where to find out more specific information. Specifics:
    17 jewels, Kaltron, Swiss, black and red numbers

spd

Default More Info on "Railroad" Pocket Watch

My father-in-law gave a "railroad" pocket watch to my husband before he past away over 20 years ago. We do not know anything about it. My understanding from the brief research I did is that this is probably not a genuine railroad watch. We would like to know more about it or where to find out more specific information. Specifics:
    17 jewels, Kaltron, Swiss, black and red numbers

Blog Entries

not for RR use in the states

spd

Thank you! To find out more info should I concentrate on railroad watches made in Canada or Europe?

Blog Entries

for that type I believe so.

Blog Entries

spd,

It would help a great deal if you could post a picture of the watch. Swiss watches were generally not popular for railroad use in the US, but they were popular for railroad use in Canada. However, the railroad approved Swiss brands that were accepted in Canada for railroad use, were watches by Zenith, Longines, Brandt (Omega), Ball (Swiss), and possibly some models by Gallet. The Swiss Ball was also accepted in the US. Even without a picture, I think I am
    99 44/100% sure when I say your watch was not a railroad watch. We still might be able to elaborate a little if we could see a picture of the front of the watch, as well as a picture of the "works", once you remove the case back.

spd

Doug,
    I've been having such a difficult time finding any information about this watch, so I really appreciate your information. I have not been able to find any information on Kaltron watches...I will post a couple of pictures of the watch shortly.

My husband gave me a little more information. It was actually his grandfather's watch, so it has to be over 60yrs old and his grandfather did work for a railroad, so I am even more curious now.

Thanks!

John Odom

I am no expert, but I have seen "Rare, Vintage" Kaltron watches on ebay. One description stated "17jewel Swiss Movement" and "Incablock"; the other said "Quartz, Hong Kong." They were from the same seller, and I remember the appearant discrepancy between "Rare, Vintage" and Quartz.

Since I was not interested I didn't mark or otherwise note the auctions.

Kaltron is not listed in Pritchard's Swiss Timepiecemakers 1775-1975. This suggests that the name is a private label.

Blog Entries

or a later watch

Blog Entries

spd,

Not every employee of every railroad required a railroad approved watch. Generally, employees associated with the running trades were obliged to carry a railroad standard watch. He may have worked for a railroad, he may or may not have required a railroad watch. If he did require a railroad grade watch, the Kaltron was not it! I'm going to go out on a limb and offer the opinion that this is a modern watch. The quicker you can post the pictures we've asked for, the sooner we can satisfy your curiosity.

spd

Doug,
    I do appreciate your note. If you think it is modern, how can I find more about Kaltron and where and when it was manufactured.

Do you know if Kaltron was dissolved or taken over by another company?

From my research I am finding it very difficult on the internet. Do you have any suggestions of books or other information sources I can look?
    Do you think it is Swiss?...yes, I know I must post a picture...I need to get a hold of a digital camera.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

spd,

This message board is your best reference for finding out anything more about your watch. But we MUST have a picture of the insides (the movement). I am fairly certain that there will be no references to the Kaltron name anywhere in cyber-space. It is a generic name. A name chosen out of a hat by a wholesaler, distributor, or retailer, and applied to a generic watch that is indistiguishable from millions of other like watches, and which was fitted with a somewhat unique but otherwise meaningless name in an attempt to give it an identity, and to try to make it distinguishable from others. It may be meaningful in a fairly localized district, but never sold in a great enough quantity, or distributed over a broad enough area for the name to become a household word. It may or may not have been a copyrighted name. If it was, copyright records somewhere (Heaven knows where) might have some information on who owned the name, but the records will tell you nothing about the watch. Even with a picture of the watch, we will be unable to identify Kaltron or tell you anything about who owned the name. About the best we will be able to do is perhaps give you an era, some information about the quality, and a remote possibility that we may be able to tell you who made it. This is a big problem with generic Swiss watches!

hoot2006

I was looking through websites trying to findout about this pocketwatch. It was my grandparents, but I know nothing about pocketwatches. I was reading this post, and the watch that "spd" is describing sounds similar to my pocketwatch. Somehow this watch still works and keeps perfect time. It says 17 jewels under the hour hand in the picture, also swiss made, and Kaltron. I don't know if these pics will help with "SPD's" question, or any info you can find. Though any info will be helpful.

Typical department store Swiss pocket watch from about the 1970s or so. I bet a nickel it has a Unitas movement inside.

Nike never made a shoe. They contract other people to make shoes for them.

Many "watch companies" never made a watch. They purchase movements from one company, purchase cases from another and dials from yet another. They may put them together, but most likely hire some other company to put them together and package them.

Don