Month's Goal: $300, Received: $0 - (0%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 481 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fear of winding up the clock too much

I have a newly bought a 100 year old 8 day clock, Winterhalder & Hofmeier. I know it's possible to wind up a clock to much and by that get it to stop working. Or at least I think this is a trouth. Is this something I need to think of, as I at the same time don't know how mutch I can turn that key around before it's done?

Regards
    Jacob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 78.png  

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Default Re: Fear of winding up the clock too much (RE: jacobsthlm)

Jacob, if you don't fully wind it, it won't run 8 days. Also if you don't fully wind it, you won't know how far from fully wound the clock is. Saying a clock won't work because it's overwound is like saying my car won't run because I have put too much gas in it.
    You can feel when it's fully wound, and don't try to go past that point.
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Default Re: Fear of winding up the clock too much (RE: harold bain)

No Harold, but 7 days will do just fine. I'm greatful for your help but you don't have to treat me as I'm stupid just because my expertise not are in clocks...

Registered user. Mike306p/Ansoniaman's Avatar

Some of the older clocks have been repaired over the years and at times springs have broken, or ends elongated and I have seen where springs have been cut reworked - shortened just to get the clock going again. Each clock (if it is a 7 day ) is supposed to run as Harold says ,"A 7 day clock should run at least 7 days, maybe closer to eight days" Each time a person obtains a new clock, he /she should wind it to the stop point. Winding the clock fully to obtain the actual duration of each full wind.
    This brings up perhaps a possible new thread where somoene says," My clock is overwound." Folks say that not knowing that in most cases the clock is not overwound but that the grease / oil as dried up and will not run. As you know springs mixed with dirt/dust has made the spring not release and causes a drag effect / fricition motion. This will cause a slower time duration if at all and or eventually stopping. As I said this is usually solved by a good clean/lube etc. Mike
    P S I suppose when folks say to sell a clock( in an ad ) it is overwound, which means as we know, It needs cleaned. END RESULT.
    Maybe this should go to a new thread titled," My clock is OVERWOUND." and see what others say as this may be tucked away from other members even seeing this. Oh well I guess I should end this sounds like I am rambling on don't it ? I know most know this but we do have some newer folks here too.
    Former New Clock Acquisitions Moderator AKA Mike 306p/Ansoniaman

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fear of winding up the clock too much (RE: Mike306p/Ansoniaman)

Jacob no one treated you like you were stupid, you asked a question, and you got a answer.
    One clock at a time. Kevin West
    http://www.global-horology.com/GHMB/

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsthlm View Post
    No Harold, but 7 days will do just fine. I'm greatful for your help but you don't have to treat me as I'm stupid just because my expertise not are in clocks...
    Sorry, Jacob, I'll restrict my answers to you to yes, no and maybe in the future.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Registered user.

A clock that is properly serviced and running correctly
    will not stop if fully wound.
    It is possible to break an old spring by forcing
    it but on most clocks, such forcing will either break
    the key or twist off the winding shaft.
    Go ahead and wind your clock all the way. It will run
    more reliably. There is no truth to the saying that
    one can wind a clock to much and it will stop.
    Clocks that stop after winding is an indication that the
    clock needs servicing ( as any clock will if not service
    for a long enought time ).
    Tinker Dwight

Default Re: Fear of winding up the clock too much (RE: Tinker Dwight)

Ok, thanks. That clears it all. I have a clock on my wall, what we in Sweden call a "Pendyl". It is fully wind up and not working but I'm getting a ittle curious about if I can do anything about it myself. I should need a video crash course or something similar. I don't like it enough to pay a clockmaker to fix it so I don't have that much to lose. How hard can it be.. lol I really don't know why but they are cheap in Sweden and there is no problem getting a fully working fŲr 50 Euros or less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nästan min.jpg  

Blog Entries

Why not just buy something cheap from Ebay to learn on. This one is too nice to sacrifice .There are plenty of loose movements around to learn on.
    How hard can it be to repair clocks, get a movement and you would be amazed how much there is to learn.

Default Re: Fear of winding up the clock too much (RE: Kevin W.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W. View Post
    Jacob no one treated you like you were stupid, you asked a question, and you got a answer.
    No Kevin, when I'm told that it's like saying a car wont work if I fill to much gas in it, it's the same as telling me I'm stupid. I don't se the point of use expertise in any field a way that you also tell people that they should know better. Especially when there really is a misconception in this subject...

Kevin, you must have missed my "lol" as I do understand how complicated it has to be. Well, trying on another clock will not get this one working but I guess your right and the best is just to leave it...
    Last edited by jacobsthlm; 05-04-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsthlm View Post
    No Kevin, when I'm told that it's like saying a car wont work if I fill to much gas in it, it's the same as telling me I'm stupid. I don't se the point of use expertise in any field a way that you also tell people that they should know better. Especially when there really is a misconception in this subject...
    It's sometimes helpful to use an analogy with someone who is new to something Jacob, I thought it was quite a good one. Harold has posted over 26,000 times and I'd bet over 90% of those are helping others, which is all he was trying to do for you. please don't misinterpret him, folk here really are helpful and friendly
    shimmystep.

Default Re: Fear of winding up the clock too much (RE: shimmystep)

Jacob, I get a lot of customers bringing clocks to me for repair, who say "I think I've overwound the clock, it won't run", and I always use the car analogy to explain why you cannot overwind a clock. I'm not trying to make them feel stupid, I'm just trying to give them a good reason why you cannot overwind it.
    I also get a lot of customers who bring a clock back saying it won't run for the full week, or just runs for a few days, and when I check, it's fully wound down. Unless you fully wind it, you can't tell how long it will run.
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

Blog Entries

Wish i had a nickel for every clock i have heard was over wound.

Default Re: Fear of winding up the clock too much (RE: Kevin W.)

The first clock in the thread....don't worry. That clock can handle a full winding.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fear of winding up the clock too much (RE: Chris Radano)

This is an excellent example of how something that would be correctly understood in context when spoken person-to-person can be taken an entirely different way when typed on a message board. Wording is critical here. Harold's original wording of "Saying a clock won't work because it's overwound is like saying my car won't run because I have put too much gas in it" would likely have been understood correctly if he and Jacob were standing side-by-side, but here on the board wording such as: "Using the analogy of a car, the engine wouldn't stop running because you 'overfilled" the tank, and a clock won't stop running because someone "over wound" the spring. Just as it is not possible to overfill a gas tank, it is not possible to over wind a clock spring without something breaking." might have been better understood.

Also, one must remember that thousands of people from all over the world post on this board. Someone for whom English is not their first language will have a much higher chance of misunderstanding American phrasing. Posting one's country location under their profile helps the responding posters phrase their responses more appropriately.

Jacob, I am not implying anything about your English or country location. This comment of mine is simply to add clarification to my discussion.

RobertG