Month's Goal: $300, Received: $350.00 - (117%) Contribute Now
Donate whatever you can or Join the 15,000 other NAWCC members for only $72 (plus $10 for hard copy publications). Check it out here.

NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2835 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
    Christopher Isaac

Default Regula Cuckoo Clock movement bird problem

I'm used to old cuckoo clocks with countwheels and I've never had to deal with a regula movement. It cuckoos correctly, but once the bird goes out it wont come back in, there is a catch in the movement on the left hand side which locks, after cuckooing it will not go back up and unlock, is it missing a spring or something? Anyway I'm getting angry with this modern movement! Help me before I throw it away, Chris

Christopher Isaac

Default Regula Cuckoo Clock movement bird problem (RE: Christopher Isaac)

I'm used to old cuckoo clocks with countwheels and I've never had to deal with a regula movement. It cuckoos correctly, but once the bird goes out it wont come back in, there is a catch in the movement on the left hand side which locks, after cuckooing it will not go back up and unlock, is it missing a spring or something? Anyway I'm getting angry with this modern movement! Help me before I throw it away, Chris

What if you remove the "door open" wire: Does it still fail to retract when not connected to door? Wire length, bend, angle, etc. is SOMEWHAT critical and can cause this.

Christopher Isaac

Yes thanks I tried that first of all. I have removed the movement, it's a movement problem. The latch wont unhook, so once the cuckoo arm goes out it wont come back in. Has anyone else got a regula movement, they're so common! Chris

That little catch has a friction fit end that might need to be tapped on a bit further. Sounds like it might be a bit sloppy.

Christopher Isaac

i dunno anyway i oiled it! still not working. I'm also having more problems with another musical regula cuckoo clock, having trouble setting the music box, maybe the movement is faulty

Forums Administrator harold bain's Avatar

Chris, I think they call them cuckoos because the repairmen end up being cuckoo after a while. All you can do is play with it out of the case until you see where the problem is. The replacement movements are cheap enough that as a last resort you can put in a new one.
    Harold
    harold bain, Member ch 33
    "If it won't "tick",
    let me "tock" to it"

The bird arm lock for the Regula movements has a helper to unlock. The helper is part of the lever which holds the rack during the cuckoo. This lever has the locking pin that rides against the gathering pallet and also has a tab which is just below the pallet arbor in the front plate of the movement. When the gathering pallet and the pin lift the rack allowing the lever to move below the rack to shut off the tab then should unlock the hold on the bird arm. If not a small bend down will provid a better release. You may also check the brackets for the bird arm.

Re: the problem with a musical. The locking levers for the musical movement are the source for many of the problems and should be checked first.
    Jim DeRosier

As jim said above - the gathering pallet is the problem I reckon.

Had this before a few times - the pin on the wheel doesn't lift/knock the lever out of the locked position and so needs adjusting.

When you have it out of the case and run the gearing it happens too quick to see.

Christopher Isaac

OK thanks guys, well I have fixed my musical cuckoo clock just needed to replace the chains and give it a few bends here and there on the musicbox, here's the clock in action, has a nice loud cuckoo, good modern clock with no plastic dial or figures! http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/sodaclublad/?act...ge=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

However the other Regula clock I'm going to have a play with the movement now, hope I don't get too stressed with it! -UPDATE... fixed, thanks very much!