PDA

View Full Version : Welby 400 day clock question

CLFinchly
02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
I have a Welby Corporation 400 day clock inherited from my great grandmother( I am 58 years old and know the clock to be at least 75 years old).

It is a floral pattern clock that is stamped made in west Germany on the backplate. Try as I might I cannot find any information that might help me "date" this clock. The key is missing and I have no idea how to wind it if I had the key!

Considering the known age of this clock I would like to attempt to very carefully get it operational! Does anyone have any suggestions?

I do have pictures and would post them if anyone would like to see it to help verify operating instructions.

Thanks in advance - Chris Finch

MartinM
02-06-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm sure John Hubby can give more detailed info, but I believe Welby's first foray into 400-Day clocks was via rebranded KundO movements ca. 1950.
If you could post clear pictures of the clock to include the dial and the backplate (without the guard that covers the pendulum suspension spring, if you're comfortable removing that), we can give you a better idea of the age and how to proceed. All of their clocks used a system of keyhole mountings for their guards. Just loosen the screws that hold the guard on the clock a half turn and slide the guide upwards to release it. One type of Welby clock employed a tubular guide that you reach the screws via holes in the tube. If it's that type, be very careful your screwdriver doesn't inadvertently damage the suspension spring that runs through the tube.

CLFinchly
02-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Thanks Martin - Here are some pictures!119617119618119616

lesbradley
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Plate 1580 in the Horolovar Guide, listed as 1951 manufacture, made by Keininger & Obergfell, known as Kundo(K&O).

CLFinchly
02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Thank you very much Les. Now to go about finding instructions and a key!

John Hubby
02-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Just a note to support Martin and Les regarding age of the clock. Welby Corporation is known to have only imported to the U.S. after WWII. Clocks with their name either on the back plate or dial have been documented from the early 1950's to late 1960's. Also, the term "Made in West Germany" first appeared during the Berlin blockade (1948-49) so any article marked with this could not have been made prior to that time.

lesbradley
02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you very much Les. Now to go about finding instructions and a key! This is a very reasonably priced publication(Anniversary Clock Adjusting) and should help you on your way http://www.anniversaryclocks.org/books.htm

Keys are readily available from any clock spares supplier or Ebay.

shutterbug
02-06-2012, 09:46 PM
An easy way out of your key dilemma is part 10092 from Timesavers (http://www.timesavers.com). It will work fine on it's own, or you can use it to get the size to order a "proper" key :)