PDA

View Full Version : Sangamo 23 J Hunter fishscale DMK ?

artbissell
05-15-2011, 12:32 PM
I have much info from this Board about Sangamos. Still wondering: what is a Getty and how did I buy a 2.4 million one cheap and someone paid me very well for a 1.3 million 21j that looks very similar? Same tiny fishscale deco.

Jim Haney
05-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Art,
I moved your post tinto a thread of it's own.

Kent
05-15-2011, 03:07 PM
... Still wondering: what is a Getty ... ? ...

The Illinois 16-size model 4 (hunting) and model 5 (open-face like your watch) movements are referred to as Getty movements because they were designed Fred I. Getty.

John Cote
05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
The Illinois 16-size model 4 (hunting) and model 5 (open-face like your watch) movements are referred to as Getty movements because they were designed Fred I. Getty.

They are distinguished by having one visible winding wheel and the obvious half moon click to hold it.

To answer your question about how you can get a good deal on a watch...who knows...but I am glad it happens once in a while. :)

Tom McIntyre
05-15-2011, 04:20 PM
There is a lot of ignorance about the metal dials on these watches. That can contribute to a good buy. I am pretty sure one had to pay extra for one when the watch was new.

artbissell
05-15-2011, 04:30 PM
John: Question concerning price difference kind of stupid, but I think I remember being told the 1.3 million 21j o.f. was somehow more collectible, and am curious why. Not a special case and an older style dial. I remember regretting its sale ( like I did at same time with a 19j 16s Rockford} so later bought the 2.4 million one in solid gold for near same $.

Tom McIntyre
05-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Art, do you remember if it had a diamond end stone on the balance? That might appeal to some collectors.

John Cote
05-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Art,

There are some 21j examples marked "Extra" around the serial number you note, but it is really difficult to make any judgments about these Sangamos just by putting them into a serial number range. In the runs with examples marked "Extra" or "Special" there are also many example which are not marked. To be worth Extra, they have to be so marked.

I would rather have your Adj 6 pos marked 23 jewel example than any of the 21 jewel normal examples. I think you are just a lucky dude....and that's a good thing...right?

Robert Smothers
05-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Art-

Looks like a brite spot pattern to me. The hands would be appropriate for a model 10 or 13, and have seen the hands on Bunn Specials with Fatboy dials from around 5.1ml.

Robert

terry hall
05-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Robert is correct, the named damaskeen pattern is Brite Spotted.

I'll agree on hands also, not normally seen on teen's era movements.

The dial... I will reserve judgment on it unless I see additional images, the possibility exists of aftermarket.

Can't 'see' your 1.3 mil example nor do we know what 'very well' is.

But would agree, take a 23 over 'most' 21 (depends on watch)... even though I believe the additional jeweling on these were a couple of cap jewels

artbissell
05-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Very nice comments from all. Seems like I have nothing to regret or brag about. No Extra marking or diamond on 21j older one. Dial and hands may well not be original, but the light weight case seems to be on the 23j. Anyway glad I got it.

artbissell
05-15-2011, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=terry hall;555519]Robert is correct, the named damaskeen pattern is Brite Spotted.

I'll agree on hands also, not normally seen on teen's era movements.

The dial... I will reserve judgment on it unless I see additional images, the possibility exists of aftermarket.QUOTE]

Dial and hands look a little oddly bold and fat. 1913? But show a little aging.

terry hall
05-16-2011, 07:49 AM
The following images were sourced from Ed Uberall... thanks..

The image on the right side is one of the first appearances of the 'kite' sangamo special hands... that is a model 10 movement

I have a feeling on your dial ... but no proof... that is is a replacement.