PDA

View Full Version : Winterhalder's Infallible Alarum.

Chris Radano
09-18-2010, 05:25 PM
I love this clock. Look at that dial. And hands. These BF clocks look so good as they age :thumb: There is a D+G Winterhalder listed by Loomes in Maidstone (Kent) 1865-74.

There is a later version of this movement that is more frequently found. This clock has 2 different sized winding arbors. The newer version has stop works for both the alarm, and main spring. The curved shape back cock also indicates an "earlier" Winterhalder brass movement. height of case = 9 inches.

swankyman
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Nice clock,

zepernick
09-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Chris --

The papar adds a lot -- thanks for posting all!

Have we BTW had this Winterhalder on the MB before? Or is it just that the Winterhalders seem to be, as they seemingly were, just about everywhere? This "D" one was Dominicus, born 3 August 1836 in Furtwangen, and still at 64, High Street, Maidstone, as of the 1881 Census, with wife Maria (she made him tick).

There are so many old photo archives coming on-line that it's always tempting to see if we could get a clock-shop shot from the time. In this case a quick run didn't show one. But the address is apparently still for sale (below). And that photo allowed a match with an older one (the building below, as it were, the Leavey sign).

Chris, if you decide to buy the building, and then find an unopened case of Black Forest clocks in the attic, or in the cellar for that matter, please do think of me. Even a fallible alarum :smile:....

Regards
Zep

BLACK FOREST CLOCKS
09-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Nice clock Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Chris Radano
09-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Zep, great stuff. Unfortunately, I am unable to buy the building :(

This clock is new for me, but I did post another Winterhalder Hoffmeier clock of similar age here before. The previous clock had a simple walnut case like this one, but also had some brass inlay. Also, the previous clock had a time + strike movement.

Like I said, this alar(u)m movement can be found. I liked this clock the best of all the ones I've seen. Save for one that was almost like this, but had a solid wood plate movement.

I have collected quite a few Winterhalder Hoffmeier clocks. All of mine have different movements. There were many different types of movements made by that company. from 30-hour posted frame wood movements, to fine solid thick brass movements with cut pinions. Interesting.

zepernick
09-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Greetings again, Chris.

Would just note in passing that there were many Winterhalder/Winterhalters in the trade, and most of them had nothing to do with the Winterhalder & Hofmeier firm.

Schaaf in his list of Black Forest clock makers, shield painters, framemakers, dealers etc. in the fourth (2008) edition of the standard work, Schwarzwalduhren, lists 56 Winterhalder/Winterhalters. Even then, the list is not complete (e.g. our Dominicus isn't among them). And the Winterhalder/Winterhalters whether in or out of the trade did get about. By 1880 there were over 250 in the US.

The d/t spelling variation by the way was quite common, and had nothing to do with education, dialects, etc. D's son Ernest K.R. Winterhalter for example -- born in 1880 at 64, High Street, and a "spectacle maker" in Maidstone 20 years later -- went with that "t" spelling.

Regards
Zep

P.S. Noting E's profession, one remembers that optician who, after a liquid lunch at Ye Make Stoned pub, got the end of his Maidstone United scarf caught in the lens-grinding machine....

Colo Tom
09-24-2010, 02:22 PM
:confused: Zep, .. how doyou KNOW all this stuff????
That's amazing!