PDA

View Full Version : Nivada Grenchen info

vandd
04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
ok i just got a cool Nivada Grenchen Automatic Dephtomac and was searching for info on date made and such, at the moment i am trying to take the back off but it is not working. hear are some photos. ill get photos of the movement once i have the back off

AbslomRob
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
It looks like it might be a two-piece case that has to come out through the crystal. The "Waterproof" mark on the back suggests that's from before the late 60's (when the US restricted the use of the term).

vandd
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks much so far,
hear is some more photos and some more info.
on the movement it is marked Nivada 21 jewels Swiss
on the inside of the case it is marked
Swiss Made
Super Compressor
Brevet + 317537
Brevet + 337462
9-63

Dave Haynes
04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
These Super Compressor cases were very popular in the 60s and your date is what is shown 9-63, September 1963, that would be early for the Super Compressors. The crosshatch crowns are original and hard to find, keep them. The crystals are VERY hard to find so keep that one as well. Movement is an ETA, probably a 2554. These cases were made by Ervin Piquerez S.A. and were used by many, many brands from Benrus to IWC, they were insanely popular and today have a huge collector following (I have 4 or 5). Your watch originally had a depth gauge built in if I am not mistaken, if it still works, you are lucky. The top crown turns an internal bezel and uses a fragile little star gear, if it is hard to turn, don't force it as these gears are unobtainable. The crystals are unique as they accommodate the internal bezel, so don't try and replace it if you don't have to. Nivada Grenchen is a great company and these sport watches are very nice pieces indeed.

vandd
04-28-2010, 04:47 PM
the center dial does move (the center black, i mean) but how do i determine or use the depth Gage?

vandd
04-29-2010, 03:28 PM
dave, on the Rarity Scale what would you rate this watch 1-10, Ive been searching online to find another one and i cant. The closest one i can find is a Nivada Grenchen Automatic Depthmaster but then it sill does not have the inside back dial like the one i have and is from the 70's