PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Chappatte pocket watch

rayhn
04-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm trying to get some info on a pocket watch. The inside is identical to this picture, and the face is also. On the opening inside in the middle it also says International Special. I can't find any info anywhere. Anyone know of sites, or anything. Thanks

jdhadley
02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
I have one just like it, been passed down thru my family. On the inside cover is a picture of an indian chief and on the other inside cover it says warranty 25 years. There is a double cover next to the gears. On the outside is an engraving of a large rack deer. My watch is missing the hour and minute hands and will not run. It has a serial #just as yours does. I'd like to know if its bronze or copper. There is engraving on the back side also. Does anyone know anything about this watch. Would appreciate any info.

Mikrolisk
02-09-2012, 01:07 AM
Well, this VWC (interleaved) is a trade mark from Adolf Schwob, New York, registered in 1905. Chappatte should be then another brand from him.

Andreas

Mirius
10-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Well, this VWC (interleaved) is a trade mark from Adolf Schwob, New York, registered in 1905. Chappatte should be then another brand from him.

Andreas

I've seen several VWC watches recently. It seems to me that Adolf was importing Swiss watches and branding them, so Chappatte may be a Swiss brand and not related to him. An example what I mean by branding can be found here, in a very similar case (again this case pattern I've seen elsewhere with VWC branding):

http://mirius.co.uk/Watch.htm?R0194

On your site Andreas I think you link VWC to Tavannes which gives the impression that it's a Tavannes brand, but I think we are just seeing branding by Adolf.

Mikrolisk
10-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Well, the movement and thei VWC trade mark ARE from Tavannes, you are right with that... don't know why I hadn't seen that before. *oops* Then Adolf Schwob from NY just imported that watch (and used the same trade mark). :whistle:

Mirius
10-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Well that movement is, but are why does this one bear the Tieche stamp? Unless Tavannes also used that?

http://mirius.co.uk/Calibre.htm?30

I'm open to ideas on these, so all info is good :)

My current suspicion is the that US importers weren't so tightly tied to the Swiss as might have been expected. That and the Swiss were quite prepared to buy in movements from the other manufacturers.

Incidentally a watch just like the OPs sold today

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Chappatte-Swiss-Pocket-Watch-Runs-Original-Box-/230870587041?pt=Pocket_Watches&hash=item35c0f596a1&nma=true&si=%2FrtoYJL9VEaUgwIPWAXz6C6srXA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Squite
10-31-2012, 01:09 PM
It's pretty clear that both Tavannes and Schwob used the VWC. I'm with Mikrolisk, saying that Tavannes (Switz) likely made the movements, and Schwob (NY) imported them and sold them under the Chappatte label (Chappatte is also a Schwob brand). It really comes down to trying to keep straight the fact that brands (Chappatte) and trademarks (VWC) aren't always going to indicate the maker (Tavannes). Sometimes they just point to a retailer/importer (like Schwob). In this case, the VWC actually points to both.