PDA

View Full Version : Help With Concord Watch

kimber
04-03-2009, 06:22 PM
We have a Concord Watch that we help identifying. (see photos)
The case we have for it reads Concord Centurion.
The numbers on the back are:

15.62.247.V81

Specifically, we need to know:

Approximately how old is this watch?
How much did it originally retail for?
Approximately how much is it worth now?
Is this real gold? or gold plated?

Any other info you can offer would be much appreciated.

Dave Haynes
04-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Pretty much the same deal. If a watch has any solid gold, it is almost always written on the case or marked somewhere with a hallmark. This has a back that can be opened with a screwdriver, open this thing up and peek inside; you'll see what I am talking about.

On the average watch, the gold case will be marked as "14K" "18K", plated watches will be marked "10K G.F." or "14K Gold Filled" or "10K R.G.P." (rolled gold plate) cases that are electroplated will have ".20 micron...blah, blah"these are the cheapest methods of plating and will wear the quickest. Early quality gold filled cases have a LOT of gold on them. When there are two metals on a case (some very expensive watches have this) they will be marked something like "14K Bezel case metal" meaning that the top piece is actually gold but the rest is steel or plated brass. Vintage Omegas and IWCs can have a very thick layer of gold on top and steel on the bottom. These are extremely good watch cases. Hallmarks are used almost exclusively in Europe and are tiny little emblems stamped into the gold. They are so small that they sometimes look like imperfections.
Hope this helps you.

kimber
04-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Thank for the information. We were told by another jeweler that the gold bars on the watch were 18K gold and he estimated the watch's worth much higher. He also said that they would sometimes not stamp the watch 14K or 18K in order to avoid paying import duties on the watches. Is this true and is there a possibility these may be gold?

Do you know the names / locations of any distributors/importers of Concord watches?

Thank you.

Cary Hurt
04-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Concord is in the Movado group of watch manufacturers, and produces some high end luxury watches. The statement about not marking gold to avoid taxes may have been true in the past, but today would constitute a fairly serious trade law violation, so I wouldn't count on that.

Here is Concord's homepage (http://www.concord.ch/), where you may be able to find more information.
(http://www.concord.ch/#/Main/)

kimber
04-06-2009, 06:40 PM
We've checked online in the past, and haven't been able to find this model anywhere (including the Concord site). No one is selling it or the mens equivalent (which we also have). We know it's at least ten years old. Is there anywhere you can recommend I go to find information on this watch?

burnz
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
As I said in your Gucci post----the bars are most likely electro plate at best--and there is a good chance they are simply gold tone only!

Dave Haynes
04-08-2009, 09:48 PM
But the jeweler is just trying to promote the myth. In the world of designer quartz watches, your Concord is a nice example, a mid range product. Concord was a quality player in the watch business, and the price of vintage gold cased mechanical watches sold by Concord is high when they surface. But by comparison, these quartz products are just as we've described them and aside from the branding, are nothing special. Rolex and several of the very high end makers have quartz watches in their line, but their cases and bands ARE gold and are hallmarked as such. There is real tangible value there besides a famous name, thus they are worth what you pay for them.

F.Mason
04-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Why not contact Concord? They will have a record of when they were produced.

I can remember them from when I worked their, but I am unsure if they were reapirs, or old stock being cleared. So I would be of no use to you.

jgarcia570
04-13-2009, 11:13 AM
We have a Concord Watch that we help identifying. (see photos)
The case we have for it reads Concord Centurion.
The numbers on the back are:

15.62.247.V81

Specifically, we need to know:

Approximately how old is this watch?
How much did it originally retail for?
Approximately how much is it worth now?
Is this real gold? or gold plated?

Any other info you can offer would be much appreciated.
this a cocord centurion i own one in 18k gold and i bought this watch approx 20 years ago from ad.

EJP777
05-11-2009, 12:32 AM
The Centurion, was Concord's flagship model, between 1970-1979. It's design was somewhat similiar to Piaget's original Polo, although it was made to be much thinner and lighter on the wrist. It was then replaced by the Saratoga models. This was at the time when Movado Group purchased Concord and changed the model line. The original Concord Watch Co. made quality watches and was ranked in the top ten of Swiss watch firms. Concord, was a pioneer in Swiss quartz design, with their Delirum, being the thinnest Swiss quartz produced. The Concord Centurion was produced in various models: an all stainless steel & 18k yellow gold rectangular case with integrated bracelet or the oval ladies case, as in your photo. It was also produced in all 18k yellow gold, 18k yellow & 18k white gold. The gold links, were solid 18k. whether used in the stainless or all gold watch. The movement used near the end of the model run, was based on either the Concord Nine Quartz or the Delirum quartz. In 1979, I purchased a new stainless & 18k yellow gold Centurion for $1400.00 from Tourneau, in New York City. Concord did not stamp any gold hallmarks on the case, as a way of avoiding the import taxes. Unfortunately, I traded my watch with an old Rolex in 1981 to Tourneau for an Audemars Royal Oak. I'm currently searching for a gents 18k/stainless rectangular case version, as I really liked the unique look and thinness of the watch.

doug sinclair
05-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Where I live (Canada), if an item made of karat gold alloy is not marked with a registered trade mark and the quality of the alloy, IT CANNOT BE SOLD AS GOLD. It can't be called gold in advertising, on the owner's manual, in the warranty, on sales aids or signs, or even verbal indication that it is gold, by the sales personnel. I seriously doubt that any manufacturer of legitimate karat gold goods is going to offer an item at a gold alloy price, without the piece being legitimately marked! Have we even established that the Concord in this thread is legitimate? If this watch is not marked with a quality stamp and legitimate registered trade mark, I have a strong suspicion it is not a real Concord. The overall finish of the watch, particularly the case back, doesn't tell me that it is of Concord quality. I think the owner needs to go talk to a Concord dealer to verify whether or not it is real. Concord doesn't sell gold plated watches, ot at least has not in the last 10 years.

Doug