PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ansonia pendulum please

cazboy
03-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm in the middle of cleaning up the exterior of an Ansonia Triumph sidemirror. I'm having the movement rebushed and cleaned up. One reason I bought it was the cool pendulum (see picture). In my eagerness to clean up everything, I took the pendulum apart but I can't seem to separate the paper dial (with a zinc backing) from the cup. I got the needle off, but the spindle that holds the dial has a tiny "obstruction" (can't think of a better word) on the face end preventing the dial from coming off, and the other end of the spindle is attached to a lever attached to the pendulum rod.

I'd really like to take this thing apart and clean it up a little...does anybody have any advice for taking it apart?

Here's a picture of the pendulum...
Thanks in advance...
...Doug

cazboy
03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
Hmm, OK, I forgot to include the picture of the pendulum. Here it is.

...Doug

inbeat
03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
JMO but It looks good to me the way it is....

cazboy
03-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Sure it looks good in a picture but not in person, close up. I forgot to mention that someone has spraypainted all the metal parts (figurines too) with silver paint. You can see where the top leaves were laying on top of the dial's circumference while the "painter" was spraying. My idea is to carefully strip away the silver with some paint stripper (what else?) and get it down to the metal underneath. The glass cover of the pendulum is gummed up with excess silver paint and hardened dust. I would prefer to take it apart and clean the individual parts, and then reassemble.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of pendulum? And what's it called anyhow?

...Doug

Jeremy Woodoff
03-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Henry C. Jacot of St. Louis filed in 1877 for a patent for a similar pendulum bob dial regulator. I think I've seen the term "Jacot regulator" applied to this type of pendulum. A quick check of Google patents didn't locate the filing for Doug's specific Ansonia pendulum.

Jeremy

Thyme
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Sure it looks good in a picture but not in person, close up. I forgot to mention that someone has spraypainted all the metal parts (figurines too) with silver paint. You can see where the top leaves were laying on top of the dial's circumference while the "painter" was spraying. My idea is to carefully strip away the silver with some paint stripper (what else?) and get it down to the metal underneath. The glass cover of the pendulum is gummed up with excess silver paint and hardened dust. I would prefer to take it apart and clean the individual parts, and then reassemble.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of pendulum? And what's it called anyhow?

...Doug

I can't tell you how to disassemble it, but if you don't (or can't) disassemble it, be careful with the paint remover. If you get any liquified paint or solvent on that paper dial it will ruin it.

Alternately, I'd suggest you use lacquer thinner on a rag (rub & wipe) to slowly dissolve the paint, especially around the area surrounding the dial. You can also use it on the glass, as long as you keep wiping it away and don't get anything on that paper dial.

cazboy
03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Jeremy and Thyme. Believe me, I'll be careful not to get anything on the paper dial. I'm attaching pics of the front and back of the Jacot regulator in its current state of disassembly. You can see the rust on the bob's main body. I'd sure like to get it apart so I could clean up each component. I'm envisioning buffing the rust off of the bob and giving it a thin coat of oil to prevent further rusting. As it is, I can't even separate the "leafy decoration" above the bob from the pendulum. My main problem seems to be getting the paper dial off of the center spindle because (not sure if you can see it in my pic) the end of the spindle seems to have a small retaining disc on the end. Somehow I got the needle off, but I'd have to damage the paper dial to get it off. Now, I'm not sure if I should have even disassembled it as far as I did.

Advice would be appreciated! Here's pics, thanks in advance...

...Doug

Bryan Prindle
03-27-2008, 03:18 PM
CB,

How was the needle attached? Is it a round shaft or square? It's hard to see the detail from the pictures, but maybe it looks like the spindle may have been pressed onto the pivot piece on the back of the pendulum. If so, and you're clever and tools, you could press is off and then pull it out from the front.

A bunch of ifs. I'm like you, I would want to clean it up. Thinks it would be beautiful restored.

Carefully note the location and position of everything so you can put it back together in the correct orientation. This is where I keep my notebook close by and make lots of drawings and notes. VERY helpful on reassembly. (i)

Bryan

Jeremy Woodoff
03-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Is it possible the retaining disc is actually a bushing for the hand, and when you pulled the hand off, the bushing stayed behind? If this is the case, then it should be possible to pull the bushing off and then remove the dial. The bushing would have to be reinstalled in the hand. If the retaining disc is not a hand bushing, it's difficult to see how the hand fits on to its post--you would have to have pulled it over the retaining disc to get it off.

The boss of the hand will cover a small amount of damage to the center of the dial, if you decide to carefully pull the dial off over the retaining disc.

Jeremy

shutterbug
03-28-2008, 09:06 PM
<--------- Lurking, watching and learning. I want to know how this turns out :)