PDA

View Full Version : Refinish old clock

Grandpa
06-22-2007, 10:05 AM
A old wall calendar wall clock came in yesterday. I have not openend it up yet so I don't know who made the clock.

The customer asked if I could refinish the wood on the clock. The finish looks to me like a shilack. It is dirty and bumpy.

My question is what do you use to clean the wood and what do you use to re finish it?

Thank You

Gramps

Patrick R
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey Gramps, I have been told that the Natchez Solution works well for cleaning any wood surface. I believe TimeSavers has this. You will have to ask someone elese about re finishing it.
On black wood cases some people use black shoe polish, its cheap and goes a long way. And I think you might be able to use high gloss black enamle paint. Im not sure if that is used on Black Iron cases or wood cases, I think Iron.
Good luck Gramps.
Pat

Jim D.
06-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Gramps,

Can you give us a photo or two? A lot depends on the finish and condition as to how to go about it.

Jim D.

Grandpa
06-22-2007, 10:56 AM
I have to go to the Doctor today, so I will try and get a picture tomorrow.

The clock it self is in pretty good shape. Its just the finish is old and getting bumpy. I have seen a lot of varnished wood look like this and would sanded it off and re varnish. I was hoping to save all that. I'm not sure, but I don't think its varnished.

This clock was the owners Grandmothers and he remembers it as a child hanging on the wall.

I have serviced 2 of his other clocks, one was a grandfather brought over from Germany with no name on it and the other is a Becker wall clock. He takes very good care of his clocks. If he didn't I would not have taken on the project.

I'll get you some pictures as soon as I can.

Thanks for all the help.

Gramps

Joseph Bautsch
06-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Gramps - Take a soft white cloth. Cotton is best. Wet it with alcohol and rub an inconspicuous spot on the finish. If it is shellac a little of it should rub off on the cloth. It should not be enough to damage the finish as is. If it's varnish all that will come off will be some dirt. A shellac finish is easier to re-do than varnish.

Grandpa
06-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks Joseph,

I'll give er a try in the AM.

Gramps