PDA

View Full Version : American Bank Protection Company Timer

Ed Patnode
04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I just acquired a clock; actually I should call it an Electric Timer that was manufactured by the American Bank Protection Company that was originally located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The dial covers a 24 hour span with 12:00 Midnight at the top and 12:00 Noon at the bottom. It has a Seth Thomas double wind balance wheel movement.

I am looking for any and all information that is available on this piece.

Thank you,

Ed Patnode

Eckmill
04-26-2007, 07:06 PM
The American Bank Protection clocks show up infrequently. They are basically a Seth Thomas number ten double mainspring balance wheel movement fitted with movable electrical contacts operated by 24 hour motion works. (the #10 movement is a real workhorse found in a variety of cases)

They were used to enable and disable burgulary alarm networks at preset times. They were not used to control the safe lock.

My first exposure to the American Bank Protection clocks was in the early 1930's. My dad's bank was sold to a larger banking firm and the alarm system came home for my brother and I to destroy. For redundancy and reliability reasons, there were three clocks, all in nicely finished square cases with three electrical spring contacts on top which connected to mating connections in a wide case that held all three clocks and some dry cells. Each clock could be removed for maintenace without tools. I still have most of one clock.

The American Bank Protection company, I believe also provided outdoor advertizing clocks such as the McClintock and may have been closely associated with the O.B. McClintock company and later known as Loomis I believe.

Ed Patnode
04-27-2007, 08:28 AM
Thank you.

I took the dial off from the clock and it appeared to relatively clean but the balance wheel wouldn't move freely. I loosened the screw at the end of the balance wheel slightly and it took off running. It keeps fairly good time gaining only about 1 minute in 24 hours.

o b mcclintock
05-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Ed, Your American Bank protection clock is a bank vault burglar alarm time clock that was originally housed within a vault that it protected. It was hand wound before the bank closed in the evening and would turn the alarm system on when the bank closed and 5 minuted before the bank opened in the morning it would time out. If the vault was disturbed anytime during the night the clock would sound three alarm bells. Two that were above and on either side of the vault door and one larger bell enclosed within a tamper and weather proof housing on the exterior wall of the building. It was manufactured by its parent company which was the O.B. McClintock Co. of Minneapolis. I have several of these in our museum that you can see on our site. Anyone may visit our site which is on Yahoo Groups and then type in American Bank Protection or burglar alarm o b mcclintock. Also the museum items can be observed on Flickr Photos and then type in American Bank Protection or O.B.McClintock. Any information that you need about it such as technical or wiring diagrams or operational info. may be obtained :smile: from us at any time. o b mcclintock

the 3rd dwarve
05-31-2011, 11:56 PM
I have had these 2 timers for a while. When I read about the 3 spring clips on top it made me wonder if these would have been used in a bank for a similar application.

Thanks,

Jeff

o b mcclintock
09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
The American Bank Protection timers that you have, have three contacts on the top of them. Two of them are placed at the bottom of a vault alarm time clock and then two triple throw knife switches engage the two timers. They were used to time the alarm systems protect mode which usually ran from 5:05 pm till 7:55 a m the next morning. They were both hand wound as many banks did not have electricity when these systems first came out. If the vault was disturbed anytime between those two time parameters the alarm bells would sound and continue until the vault was opened and the system reset by the manager. It just so happens that our museum is in need of two such timers. thanks, alarming dave at yahoo groups- O B McClintock

Ralph
09-14-2011, 10:44 AM
I have one with the #10 ST movement and I know of another.

PM me.

Ralph

Watchfixer
09-14-2011, 11:12 AM
Just wondering, how common ST #10 movements are (not just in that alarm timer for bank)?

Cheers, Watchfixer

Eckmill
09-14-2011, 03:00 PM
The ST #10 double mainspring movement is very common. It found service in heavy round brass cases for boiler room and anywhere a reliable timepiece was needed....a heavy duty work-horse movement.

However its main service was in timing and recording apparatus where a powerful center (minutes) shaft was used to turn a paper chart or open/close electrical contact switches. Most have simple alarm-clock like balance wheel pivots and a rugged lever escapement but there are some with jeweled precision -like balance wheels.

I have seen them in the past at marts by the bucket-full all needing serious repair.

Uhralt
09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
What was the purpose of the double spring? I would assume that a single spring would provide enough power to let the clock run for 8 days, especially the type with the jewelled balance. Were both springs to be wound at the same time or, say one on Sundays and the other on Wednesdays to provide power more evenly over the eight days?

Uhralt

Eckmill
09-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Uhralt asks about the ST #10 movement; wants to know if the movement was designed to have both mainsprings wound weekly. Or, could one spring be wound on Sunday and the other on Wednesday.

No, no, no, Uhralt. Both mainspring barrels engage the same pinion on the second wheel arbor. Both mainsprings must be wound equally. If only one mainspring is wound, the other barrel will rotate in harmony causing its mainspring to un-wind. This will spoil the unwound spring as it tries to un-hook from its winding arbor and finally wrap around the idle arbor in reverse. :eek:

The design reduces the side thrust load on the second wheel arbor, pivots and plate holes but requires winding both mainsprings.

Photos added below may help the concept of the ST #10 workhorse movement.

Good question Uhralt. Glad that you asked. :smile:

Uhralt
09-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks Eckmill! I was curious because the movement looks overpowered for a Balance wheel movement.

Uhralt

Watchfixer
09-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Low end clocks had too much friction losses even with a 1" balance wheel, hence the dual mainsprings. I see this often in 8 day car movements by Waltham.

Cheers, Watchfixer
-> posts merged by system <-
Oh, I mean the higher quality movements like these posted by Jeff Monti (http://mb.nawcc.org/member.php?u=174)'s post #5 how easily obtainable and found in other clock other than bank protection alarm?

Cheers, Watchfixer

TomR
05-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Ed, Your American Bank protection clock is a bank vault burglar alarm time clock that was originally housed within a vault that it protected. It was hand wound before the bank closed in the evening and would turn the alarm system on when the bank closed and 5 minuted before the bank opened in the morning it would time out. If the vault was disturbed anytime during the night the clock would sound three alarm bells. Two that were above and on either side of the vault door and one larger bell enclosed within a tamper and weather proof housing on the exterior wall of the building. It was manufactured by its parent company which was the O.B. McClintock Co. of Minneapolis. I have several of these in our museum that you can see on our site. Anyone may visit our site which is on Yahoo Groups and then type in American Bank Protection or burglar alarm o b mcclintock. Also the museum items can be observed on Flickr Photos and then type in American Bank Protection or O.B.McClintock. Any information that you need about it such as technical or wiring diagrams or operational info. may be obtained :smile: from us at any time. o b mcclintock

I just bought an American Bank Protection clock and would like more information that you offer. Please advise. You may contact me by baerbel5@aol.com

Tom R.