PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Pocket Watch

Brian Hutchings
04-04-2006, 06:11 AM
I have just bought an Illinois 15j size 18 pocket watch in an English Hunter case and would like to know more about it. The serial No is 800491 which dates it to 1888 and I know that it is a transition watch as it can be stem or key wound. I have seen reference to various grades of Illinois watch but do not know how to identify the grade from the watch markings. Can anyone help? The movement has the following engravings.
Illinois Watch Co., Springfield Ill, Adjusted, Patent Pinion,and Chalmers Pat 12.19.82
It appears to have ruby jewels, some of them in screwed chatons.
The case is a plain, 14 Ct gold filled hunter with a sun, moon and star(?) imprint and states that it is English Make. The case is by ALD which I know stands for Aaron Lufkin Dennison and is guaranteed for 25 years.
If anyone can tell me more, especially regarding the grade and what the adjustments might have been I would be more than grateful
Regards
Brian Hutchings

Brian Hutchings
04-04-2006, 06:11 AM
I have just bought an Illinois 15j size 18 pocket watch in an English Hunter case and would like to know more about it. The serial No is 800491 which dates it to 1888 and I know that it is a transition watch as it can be stem or key wound. I have seen reference to various grades of Illinois watch but do not know how to identify the grade from the watch markings. Can anyone help? The movement has the following engravings.
Illinois Watch Co., Springfield Ill, Adjusted, Patent Pinion,and Chalmers Pat 12.19.82
It appears to have ruby jewels, some of them in screwed chatons.
The case is a plain, 14 Ct gold filled hunter with a sun, moon and star(?) imprint and states that it is English Make. The case is by ALD which I know stands for Aaron Lufkin Dennison and is guaranteed for 25 years.
If anyone can tell me more, especially regarding the grade and what the adjustments might have been I would be more than grateful
Regards
Brian Hutchings

Ruben Garcia
04-04-2006, 07:10 AM
This is what I found on a handy little data base I recently acquired from a clubmember:
MODEL 2, GRADE 5 OR 5-S.
ID 15J-HG2L-TPI-RRG.
YEAR 1888.
THIS RUN FROM 800,001 THRU 801,000.
# MADE, 5,030 OVER 18 RUNS.
ALL RUNS FROM 708,101 THRU 1,230,600.
BETWEEN 1887 AND 1894.
MOVEMENT DESC. "5" 0R "5-S"- TEMPERATURE, POSITIONS, ISOCHRONISM, JEWELS IN SETTINGS, PATENT REGULATOR.
fINISH, GILT, OR GILT DAMASKEENED, BLUED SCREWS.
DIAL, DOUBLE SUNK HARD ENAMEL DIAL MARKED "ILLINOIS WATCH CO."

Bill B
04-04-2006, 07:18 AM
By the # 800,491 it would be a lever set hunter cased 15 jewel model 2 grade 5 To find grade and model you need to have a reference, I don't have the URL for the Illinois watches, maybe someone will post it here for you. Hope this helps.

Wes
04-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Brian,
Welcome to the NAWCC Message Board!

I believe the Illinois Database by Dr Russ Snyder is still available on CD from NAWCC Chapter 149 (http:///www.pocketwatchclub.org) for a small donation.
I don't know of any web sites that have this information yet.

Brian Hutchings
04-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Many thanks to Ruben, Bill & Wes for the useful information. I notice that Ruben says that the dial is DOUBLE SUNK HARD ENAMEL DIAL MARKED "ILLINOIS WATCH CO.". Although the dial on mine is so marked it is only single sunk and the seller claimed that it had not been replaced when I queried it. Nevertheless I am very happy with the watch and feel privileged to be looking after it for a future owner.
The CD sounds a good idea, I'll look into it
Regards
Brian Hutchings