PDA

View Full Version : More on watches of the rich and famous

RL
06-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Looking at a back issue of the "Bulletin" the other night.
1. Sean Connery in the James Bond film "Thunderball" was wearing a Breitling "Top Time". Movie=1965
2. Raquel Welch(whoa Nellie) wore a Breitling "Co-Pilot" in the film "Fathom"
Movie=1967
This info from Bruce Shawkey's column Part 2 on Breitling watches. Way to go Bruce.

RL
06-16-2005, 08:51 AM
Looking at a back issue of the "Bulletin" the other night.
1. Sean Connery in the James Bond film "Thunderball" was wearing a Breitling "Top Time". Movie=1965
2. Raquel Welch(whoa Nellie) wore a Breitling "Co-Pilot" in the film "Fathom"
Movie=1967
This info from Bruce Shawkey's column Part 2 on Breitling watches. Way to go Bruce.

Wayne D.
06-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi Randy, check out the post "Who wore which Hamilton?" by DanM on May 21. And my reply there. BTW, my favorite movie watch sighting of all-time was in the 1927 silent movie "Metropolis". When the Master of Metroplis, John Fredersen (actor Alfred Abel) shows a closeup of his Vacheron & Constantin wristwatch.

RL
06-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi Wayne,
Yes I have read the Hamilton thread. I don't think I have ever seen Metropolis. That is pretty cool info considering it is a silent film and from 1927 , no less. Where would one view that film?
Thanks--Randy

Archeo-peteriX
06-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Randy,
I rented Metropolis a couple of years ago from a video store. Other than that you might get lucky and catch it on 'Space Cahnnel' during a slow week :wink:

Wayne D.
06-18-2005, 01:28 PM
Hi Randy,I found a copy of it on VHS at one of our local stores. Since it's a silent film it was a budget priced tape. It's one of the true classics of the silent film era and I believe it was one of the first, if not the first sci-fi films made. The director of the film was the famous Fritz Lang. Also another of my favorite watch spottings in a movie was Peter Fonda in Easy Rider. He's sitting on his chopper on the side of the rode and looks at his watch and thinks, I don't need this any more, takes it off, throws it in the dust, then roars down the road to discover America.

RL
06-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Thanks Archeo and Wayne,
I'll look into finding metropolis. I love that part in EasyRider. Do we know what kind of watch he canned?

loetch
06-20-2005, 06:54 AM
Metropolis was remastered and colorized. The added soundtrack rocks as it mimicked the events in the movie. I think it was Sergio Moroder who updated it. It is not a remake. I've seen it for sale at video stores.

I've still got the soundtrack cassette but it hisses like a feral cat. Serge

Wayne D.
06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi again Randy, and to answer your question "do you know what watch he canned in the movie?", back in March 2001 Watchtime Magazine did an interview with Peter. Peter it seems is one of us (loves watches). And according to this interview, it was an ordinary Timex prop with a Speidel band. Incendently Peter adds that during the movie under all that biker grab he was wearing a gold Rolex GMT Master which he still owns. It's a great interview. Another fascinating story is about the Rolex that his mother bought for him when he was just 11 years old!

RL
06-21-2005, 04:08 AM
Wayne,
wow--that is a great story. Sounds like Mr. Fonda is indeed one of us--especially if he has carried that Rolex for all of those years. I figured the watch in the film was a throw down prop. Just wondered what Hollywood considered a throw down. Over the years they have destroyed props worth a ton of money--for the sake of making their movie.

Tim
06-21-2005, 09:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Metropolis was remastered and colorized. The added soundtrack rocks as it mimicked the events in the movie. I think it was Sergio Moroder who updated it. It is not a remake. I've seen it for sale at video stores. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Moroder version dates from the mid-80s if memory serves. Personally, I would recommend the Alpha Omega restoration from 2001, as it restored the original Gottfried Huppertz orchestral score (rerecorded) and included footage not seen in any previous release since 1927. I saw this at a theater and it's a painstaking restoration.

danM
06-22-2005, 02:40 AM
For fans of Hamilton Electrics, and even Jeff, there are numerous photos. of Rod Serling,
(Twlight Zone), wearing a Ventura Electric.

And in the film Blue Hawaii, Elvis also wears a Ventura.

Any other Electrics sightings ?

dan

RonC
06-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Hello,

Just finished watching "The Mechanic," starring Charles Bronson. It came out in '72. He wore a Rolex Sub and a chrono that was too hard to make out.

Ron

Wayne D.
07-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Great info RonC. I wonder what happens to those watches after the movie? Are they all auctioned off? I remember reading about my favorite actor Errol Flynn keeping his stuff after the movie was done. It got so bad that Jack Warner would send him memos about it and that he was going to take action. I think Errol just did it for spite.lol

Larry Kaplan
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Most of the watches you see in movies or on TV, as well as other jewelry, pens, etc., come from the same prop houses, or studio prop departments, in Hollywood that supply guns and other props. More often than not, they are authentic, but sometimes they are modern replicas. When shooting is over, they go back to the prop house.

RonC
07-02-2005, 08:05 AM
There was an interesting article in Watch Time about watches in movies. Unfortunately, I can't remember too much of what I read since it was a while ago. I do remember that it seems that Breitling (Mel Gibson, John Travolta) and TAG (Pacino in a recent movie he did with Colin Farrell)are pretty popular these days.

Wayne D.
07-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Read on another forum that Tom Cruise was spotted wearing an Omega in the new movie "War of the Worlds". So we'll have to be on the lookout for that.

Weight Driven
07-05-2005, 12:50 AM
According to the guy that supplied Tom Cruise the watch it is a rare model Omega chronograph, not sure which one though. He looked everywhere for that watch and finally found one in Australia.

RL
07-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Weight,
Interesting--sounds like Mr. Cruise has a very nice watch. Perhaps a very limited one.

Barry Parker
07-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Source: http://english.pravda.ru/printed.html?news_id=14979

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi wears the most expensive watch - Constantin Vacheron for $540,000.

Russian President Vladimir Putin wears a $60,000 Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar watch. Putin wears his watch on the right wrist. In 2003, Putin also had a Patek Philippe Calatrava.

Anatoli Chubais, the chairman of the energy giant RAO UES of Russia wears a classic gold Patek Philippe complete with indicator of lunar phases and two additional calendar meters. Chubais wears his watch on the left wrist, though.

President of Alpha Bank, Peter Aven, wears a bourgeois Patek Philippe Annual Calendar that comes in a white metal case. Aven's watch costs not less than $19,000.

Moscow Mayor Yiri Luzhkov owns a Patek Philippe Calatrava for $18,000.

Chelsea's owner, oligarch Roman Abramovich has a selection of Rolex watches. Now he wears a $29,000 Rolex Daytona, although he had a gold Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date Submariner for about $19,000 before.

Mikhail Gorbachev wears Omega Constellation, Zhirinovsky owns a Soviet-made Slava watch.

US President George W. Bush wears a 50-dollar Timex Indiglo watch, the presidential watch has a personal engraving on the back: George W. Bush President January 20, 2001.

California governor and Hollywood star Arnold Schwarzenegger wears Audemars Piguet, models Royal Oak Offshore and Paneria Luminor.

Regards,

Wayne D.
07-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the interesting post Barry. I remember reading that President Bill Clinton used to wear a Timex Ironman, a $50 watch like President G.W. Bush's. Can't let that national debt get out of hand. lol

doug sinclair
07-13-2005, 02:54 AM
All,

I just had a watch come across my bench that was presented to Ezzret "Sugarfoot" Anderson. WHO? You might say! Sugarfoot was an African-American college football player who played football at Kentucky State University in the 1940s. He came to Calgary to play for the CFL Calgary Stampeders circa 1947. Calgary went on to win Canada's "Super Bowl", the Grey Cup which was named after a Governor General (the Queen's representative in Canada) Lord Grey, in 1948. Anderson went on to play in numerous movies such as Seabiscuit, Snows of Kilimanjaro, Samson & Delilah, I was a Communist for the FBI, and probably others. Another player for the Stampeders that won the Grey Cup in 1948 was Woody Strode who also played in many movies after football. The watch I refer to is a 14 karat white gold, rectangular shaped 23-jewel Bulova wrist watch which was presented to Anderson in 1949, and is engraved in commemoration of the 1948 Grey Cup win. "Sugarfoot" is still alive and well at about age 85, and is very active locally.

An amusing anecdote I discovered while I was looking for information on Anderson is that, in that era, Anderson and Strode (also African-American) lived in a poor part of Calgary which was all they could afford. They used to practice out in the front street.

Wayne D.
07-13-2005, 04:57 AM
That's neat Doug! You should see if you can contact "Sugarfoot" and see if he remembers the watch. Who knows, it may be his "Rosebud"! Take care.

doug sinclair
07-13-2005, 05:13 AM
Wayne,

Strange you should mention it! I have located Anderson's phone number, but before I phone him, I need to talk to the jeweller for whom I am doing the repair. The watch was taken to the jeweller either by "Sugarfoot", or by a family member as the name on the repair envelope is
Anderson".

Wayne D.
07-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi Doug, I see now what you are saying. I was under the impression that you had just bought the watch. I bet you good ol' Sugarfoot just wanted it serviced for another fifthy years of faithful timekeeping. lol Doug, if you do talk to Sugarfoot in the future, tell him for us that he had another 15 minutes of fame on our forum! Take care my friend.