PDA

View Full Version : Re Singing Bird In Cage/Music box

clockrepairman
06-12-2004, 12:20 PM
For some reason I have become interested in German singing bird cages of The German Firm, The Erschle Company. There is a (rubber) disc shaped part in the bellows. Are there any Members out there that have any of these they would like to sell, or does anyone have Knowledge of where they can be found? S Larose no longer stocks them so that is no longer a source!!! any help would be appreciated Thank you!

clockrepairman
06-12-2004, 12:20 PM
For some reason I have become interested in German singing bird cages of The German Firm, The Erschle Company. There is a (rubber) disc shaped part in the bellows. Are there any Members out there that have any of these they would like to sell, or does anyone have Knowledge of where they can be found? S Larose no longer stocks them so that is no longer a source!!! any help would be appreciated Thank you!

Frank Menez
06-13-2004, 12:11 AM
I have a Singing Bird Cage made by Linden Germany.

One of the birds is dead (In bad shape) Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a new bird .

Frank Menez

In some countries a young lady is refered to as a bird, I am not looking for that type of bird. Signed a happily married man

Andy Krietzer
06-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Nancy Fratti of the Musical Box Society International (http://mbsi.org/) told me she sold all her remaining parts like these to LaRose. Maybe you would be able to contact her to see where she got them, or who made them. Let me know if you find them because I have been trying to find a set also. They may only make them if they get enough orders. I am also looking for a plastic gear that drives another type of singing bird box, the kind that has large fabric covered bellows similar to the ones on a cuckoo clock. The gear goes around the spring barrel and drives the whole thing. Most of the rest is brass, and it seems strange they made this drive gear out of plastic. It is from the 1970s era.

Also on this page of the NAWCC Giftshop, (http://www.nawcc.org/giftshop/americart/gifts.htm) they sell a new singing bird in a cage, more toylike but it probably uses the rubber diaphragms like some of the old ones. I haven't taken mine apart though. I have two ceramic birds from the 1970s that use a similar movement.

Andy

crsides
06-14-2004, 02:30 PM
My wife inherited one from her aunt a few years ago. We were always fascinated with the sound these little guys made.

He gave up his chirp, so I took him in to the Clock guy to look at. He got this big grin on his face and said, wait right here. He ran to the back and came out with a duplicate of ours.
An elderly lady brought it in. The bird had lost all its feathers and he was going from memory as to what it looked like. He got feathers and dyed them and glued them on. Looked pretty good and he was delighted to see how close it was to the original.

The lady had died while he was working on it and the family didn't want to pay the bill to retrieve it. He told me it would cost $450 to fix our chirperrrr - there was only one source in California. They were made out of parashute material ????

They are interesting animals, although pricey.

Charlie

DavidEFahrenholz
06-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I find these fascinating as well. I seem to remember a source somewhere but it escapes me at the moment. I will post if I run across it.

I own one and find automatons interesting.

Doug
06-16-2004, 04:58 AM
HI CLOCKREPAIRMAN,

I AM NOT IN MY SHOP NOW, BUT I THINK I HAVE A PAIR OF THEM IN STOCK FROM WHEN LAROSE SUPPLIED THEM.

CAN YOU TELL ME THE DIMENSIONS OF THE ONES IN YOUR MOVEMENT?

clockrepairman
06-17-2004, 03:37 AM
Doug if you do have a set of these things I would love to hear from you! The ruubber discs are about 30MM in diameter. They come in sets of three and two are more doughnut shaped and the other is not a deep Email me a clockrepairman@aol.com if you find them!

Andy Krietzer
06-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Nancy Fratti just sent me this reply:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hi Andy,

I bought the remaining stock from the man who originally made the bellows. He was not going to make any more. I sold my remaining pcs. to LaRose. To my knowledge no one is going to be making any more, sorry to say.
The man who originally had them made was Richard Rigg. I believe he's an NAWCC member. You might want to contact him and see if you can find out who made them for him.

Good luck!
Nancy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone know Richard Rigg? Maybe we can get some more made.

Andy

Doug
06-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi Clockrepairman,

I checked my inventory and I do have one kit of three discs still in the package complete with instructions.

I am sending you a seperate email to get your address.

Andy Krietzer
06-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Doug,

Did you get the emails I sent you Wednesday asking if you had a second set? What size are the ones you have?

Is there any other interest in these diaphragms? Nancy suggested I try to get LaRose to have more sets made.

Andy.

Doug
06-18-2004, 04:58 AM
HI ANDY,

I DIDN'T RECEIVE THE EMAIL WEDNESDAY.

SORRY, I ONLY HAD THE ONE KIT.