PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me identify this clock??

Don K.
04-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Hi,
This clock is circa 1839 and has been in our family since then. Here are some pics. I'd love to learn the background of the clock and clockmaker. I'd appreciate your comments.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1306473
Thanks for your help!
Don K.
Skaneateles, NY

Don K.
04-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Hi,
This clock is circa 1839 and has been in our family since then. Here are some pics. I'd love to learn the background of the clock and clockmaker. I'd appreciate your comments.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1306473
Thanks for your help!
Don K.
Skaneateles, NY

Sooth
04-24-2005, 04:15 AM
Wow. That is a beutiful grandfather clock.

I'm no expert, but I can confirm a few things for you. The clock is definitely 1830's or possibly older. The dial is beautifully hand painted, with the original hands.

It'm probably English, or might also be early American. I don't know the name of the maker, but hopefully someone on here cand identify it for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Missy
04-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Don, isn't that the maker's name and town on the dial? It looks like Sam'l Hoff or Huff or may be Hoffman since the dial is flaking. Also looks like ---fin, S.C. I couldn't find a town in S.C. close to that. Have you done any genealogy search on the net? Since it has been in your family for that long, it may have been made by your gggfather. Genealogy is fasinating.

Missy

Ralph
04-24-2005, 08:56 AM
It's Samuel Hoffard, Berlin, Somerset County, Pa.

1801-1848

Ralph

Don K.
04-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Ralph,

You were exactly correct. I was working on the clock's bell tonight... removed it and found two names including Samuel Hoffard, the date, 1839 and Berlin S.C. Amazing. This clock runs like a champ today, 166 years later!

Thanks, Ralph

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph:
It's Samuel Hoffard, Berlin, Somerset County, Pa.

1801-1848

Ralph </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rwestbrook
06-16-2013, 08:15 PM
My great, great etc. grandfather evidently lived across the street from Hoffard in Berlin. My ancestor was an undertaker and in that capacity made coffins, but he built at least one grandfather clock case for a Hoffard timepiece. What was the other name you found in your clock? Thanks.

Steven Thornberry
06-17-2013, 04:29 AM
My great, great etc. grandfather evidently lived across the street from Hoffard in Berlin. My ancestor was an undertaker and in that capacity made coffins, but he built at least one grandfather clock case for a Hoffard timepiece. What was the other name you found in your clock? Thanks.

This thread is over 8 years old, and Don K. is no longer an active user of the message board. Your chances of receiving a reply do not look good.