PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody has more info about the maker and the age of this nice movement.

vintagedigger
07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi all, wondering if anybody knows the a little about the maker and the age of this nice movement.
it is signed JOSH DEWILL, it has 11 diamonds as jewels, the one in the barrel arbor is pretty big
the balance is solid gold. any help will be appreciated. the following link has some of the pictures for the movement

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rihpofz1o9oc566/aMfoGUuimn

thanks

vintage digger :cuckoo:

MartyR
07-13-2013, 03:17 AM
It would be better if you attacjhed your photos on this site. I (and possibly others) will not link to picture hosting sites as many of them have a reputation as being highly intrusive.

I doubt that the jewels in your watch are diamonds, maybe apart from the top endstone. A solid gold balance wheel is not unknown, but it is unusual - could it be the more common brass?

I can't find Josh (presumably Joseph) Dewill in any of my references. Josh suggests it's an English watch - is it? And could you be misreading the surname?

gmorse
07-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Hi,

The movement is signed for Joseph Sewill, 61 South Castle Street, Liverpool, but I can't find him in Brittens. A typical Liverpool movement with large "windows", rather pale jewels, not diamonds I'm afraid, but possibly sapphires, apart from the balance endstone which could be a diamond. "Crows feet" markings on the regulator scale, again typical for Liverpool makers. A handsome movement; do you have the case?

The date is some time in the second or third quarter of the C19th.

Regards,

Graham

DaveyG
07-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Joseph Sewill, born c1815, a well known and respected Liverpool maker who occupied South Castle Street (Street Directory identifies him there in 1837 as a watch, clock and black lead pencil maker)), before the 1841 census when he is shown with an address of Duncan Street, Liverpool. It is possible that, at this time his work premises remained at South Castle Street and Duncan Street was his home address. The 1861 census has him working at 54 Canning Street, Liverpool as a wholesale watchmaker. Later in the 19thC his firm, presumably now managed by one or several of his many children (1861 census - 8 children), he is identified as a chronometer and nautical instrument maker. Sewills continues in business to this day, albeit really in name only; the original company ceased trading around the year 2000 and the name was taken up by a group of ex employees who focused, initially on repair and maintenance of earlier Sewills clocks and watches. I believe that they now sell decent quality, but bought in clocks.

I would put the date at a little earlier than Graham, probably c1840s but with English watch styling evolving so slowly Graham may well be correct. I would say that the balance is indeed gold, the Liverpool windows are, usually, made of quartz; additional pointer to a Liverpool origin is the balance cock which is also very typically Liverpool/Prescott. As Graham identifies, a typical mid quality Liverpool movement.

I must endorse what Marty has said about posting pictures on this site rather than using a picture hosting site. I took the chance and looked at this because of my abiding interest in SW Lancashire watches but normally I wouldn't go near Dropbox or any other.

gmorse
07-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Hi Davey,

I would put the date at a little earlier than Graham, probably c1840s but with English watch styling evolving so slowly Graham may well be correct.

Well, I did suggest second or third quarter . . .

Regards,

Graham

DaveyG
07-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Whoops - mind in gear before mouth in motion. It's because I'm jet deaf Graham :cyclops:

gmorse
07-13-2013, 04:35 PM
You shouldn't stand so close to them . . .

DaveyG
07-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Spent most of my life sitting on top of them, or underneath them, or inside them and they never quite got around to putting silencers on the military versions! However, I'm a firm believer in that old cold war saying - military jet noise is the sound of freedom!

vintagedigger
07-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Hello, DaveyG thank you for your valuable information, I will make sure to post the pictures on the site for the future.
I don't have the case.
what do you think it worth? the movement is complete, balance staff is good.

thanks

Regards,

vintagedigger
07-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Hello, Graham. I don't have the case, the movement is complete with a good balance staff.

thanks for your information.

Regards,

DJH584
07-14-2013, 04:35 AM
what do you think it worth? the movement is complete, balance staff is good.

thanks

Regards,

Unfortunately the forum rules do not allow people to give valuations in this part of the forum.
If you go to the forum front page and scroll down, you will find an area there dedicated to valuations.
It also explains how to go about obtaining a valuation.

Regards

David

vintagedigger
07-14-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi, thank you david